You can type here any text you want

Hook up wastegate solenoid or 'tuner style'?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I bought my GN and am now going through all the stuff that is wrong with it. I found that my wastegate solenoid switch was actually moved over to the driver's side valve cover, and was just laying there. My turbo is currently hooked up 'tuner style' with the wastegate accuator hooked directly to the vacuum port on the compressor side of the turbo.

The question I have is this: Which is the best way to provide vacuum to the adjustable wastegate? Is 'tuner style' better or is it better to use the wastegate solenoid? Does it depend specifically on the chip ran (I happen to be running an Full Throttle Speed Extender)?

I'm just trying to get all my vacuum lines routed properly, get them replaced and find all vacuum leaks.

Thanks.

I really like tuner style with an RJC valve. If you have an adjustable wastegate, and no bleeder valve, it will still spool up quick and have better stability hooking it up tuner style, vs relying on a 20 year old, heat soaked and possibly leaking stock wastegate solenoid. I recommend tuner style to everyone. One line from the compressor cover hose barb down to wastegate actuator.
Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

I personally prefer running the solenoid hooked up, but that's because I like my boost control inside the car. I have been running the BstC (Boost Command) to control boost, but now I'm using my Translator Pro to do the boost control.
Tuner style is OK but you have no way to control boost from the driver's compartment.

Straight tuner style with just a vacuum line as you describe is the worst possible method (slow spool, and no control)

With the addition of the RJC valve, you at least have control, and it aids in spool up.

The BstC moves the control inside the car electroncially and also is a huge spool up aide. It's a relatively inexpensive electronic controller that is open loop.

I now have closed loop control as I mentioned earlier with my TPro.

What's the difference with open loop and closed loop. I don't understand that.

What's the difference with open loop and closed loop. I don't understand that.

Sorta just like the ECM controls fueling.

Closed Loop: Sensor input to device used to control (whatever) and maintain desired parameter

Open Loop: Device controls (whatever) via user input settings, with no feedback to original device for control of (whatever).

IOW a closed loop boost controller would send a signal to the solenoid that is determined by a knob on the controller, and measures the boost from the turbo and adjusts the signal to maintain a set amount of boost.

an open loop controller gets no feedback from the turbo. It just sends a signal to the solenoid based on the knob setting, and it's up to the operator to watch the boost gauge and adjust accordingly.

Closed loop electronic boost controllers are by their nature, very expensive.
Clear as mud, right?

I have my E-85 car setup as tuner style with a MBC ( QBOOST ) and it works well. But I'm with Dave on this one, in car control cannot be beat. My AEM Tru Boost Gauge/Controller should be here soon. Closed loop controller and gauge and it will read vacuum. it should be sweet.....

I have my E-85 car setup as tuner style with a MBC ( QBOOST ) and it works well. But I'm with Dave on this one, in car control cannot be beat. My AEM Tru Boost Gauge/Controller should be here soon. Closed loop controller and gauge and it will read vacuum. it should be sweet.....

You'll need a 3 bar map sensor, or does the AEM unit come with one?

You'll need a 3 bar map sensor, or does the AEM unit come with one?

Yes it does have a 3-bar built into the gauge, a very nice piece. You can also get an external sensor kit which would be good for boost pressures up to 50 psi. I wanted something that would fit in the gauge pod and was easy to operate. Someone else on this board runs one but I can't remember who.

SS Sean - No matter what you use, if you keep the stock internal style gate it will never be as stable as an external gate. That might not be important to you now just FYI.

I'll move the AEM controller over to my GN at some point and it has an external ATR gate on it :D But I have no doubt I'll be able to decrease spool time and boost pressure conistency on my White T ( internal gate , stock turbo ) with this controller. Its my daily driver and as Dave says no burnt fingers is a good thing :D

Off Topic : My next purchase is an AEM Wideband UEGO Controller Air / Fuel Ratio Gauge

I would forego the AEM Wideband. On numerous test done it is consistently off by more than 1, meaning it reads 11.2:1 and you are really 10.2:1.

I would highly recomend the Innovate LC1 and the XD16 gauge kit. Fairly expensive but in its tests it is reliably only .1 to .2 off everytime.

Guys, thanks for your advice. I will check out the RJC boost controller. The rest of the stuff you are talking about excedes my knowledge level, and ability, and isn't doing me any good. Thanks for the input, however.

I would forego the AEM Wideband. On numerous test done it is consistently off by more than 1, meaning it reads 11.2:1 and you are really 10.2:1.

I would highly recomend the Innovate LC1 and the XD16 gauge kit. Fairly expensive but in its tests it is reliably only .1 to .2 off everytime.

Thanks for the heads up. It will be another of couple of months until I go closed loop control with WB using E-85. I haven't seen any data to support what you have stated. Do you have a link or maybe point me in the right direction. I only want to buy a WB once thanks. :D

Guys, thanks for your advice. I will check out the RJC boost controller. The rest of the stuff you are talking about excedes my knowledge level, and ability, and isn't doing me any good. Thanks for the input, however.

The RJC controller will be great for your setup. You'll get fast spoolup and fairly consistant boost control with it. I doubt you will be anything but happy. BTW: You have a Malibu thas in the 10s, mmmm you seem to have knowledge and ability ;) Good Luck

Back