Hooker or Pypes? 87 Limited T

kensgs01

Hey guys, I'm gonna go with a new exhaust system. Anybody have any experience with these systems? Any comments on look and sound and fitment? Don't wanna do any cutting or creative fitting if at all possible...thanks. Dennis Kirban sells them both and says it's a toss-up, except to say Hooker sells more, maybe because of the name, and is more $$$.

I have a Hooker i just put on a few months ago and it sounds good and fits great.

there's a big thread on this i think it under "pypes". Id search it it has pics and prices at summit.I just installed the pypes street pro it went ok.I think it sounds good to.

Expect some modifications with the pypes system. I gave up trying to get the tailpipes installed and just dumped it at the mufflers for now, I may try to mess with it again later. I think it sounds pretty good, search my name for a tread I started, Ive got 3 sound clips in that thread.

I keep my car garaged as much as possible but my Hooker rusted out after about 10 years. It was real quiet though if that is what you want. I'll be looking for a new exhaust too.

I put a Hooker system on my car about 2 years ago. Fit perfect and sounds good to me.

My Hooker system fit without any modifications when I purchased it years ago, it's been on the car for 9 yrs. now. The pypes system looks decent for the price but will require some mods to the tailpipes from what I've read. To me it's not a big deal, but if you want a true bolton go with the Hooker system.

Expect some modifications with the pypes system. I gave up trying to get the tailpipes installed and just dumped it at the mufflers for now, I may try to mess with it again later. I think it sounds pretty good, search my name for a tread I started, Ive got 3 sound clips in that thread.

You forgot to mention that you have some customized rear suspension pieces. This would affect the fitment of the Pypes system.

You quoted the following on your own thread.....
I had a few snags in the install, but it was due to my rear suspension being "customized" and not the exhaust system

I've had both, Pypes Hands Down! The Hooker rusted out on my low mlie GN, in around 2k miles and less than 3 years. I was told it happened because I didn't drive the car.

Pipes i think is far better than the hooker system.Pipes is stainless and went on perfect.It mounts exactly the same as the hooker system.Mine also does not drone like the hooker system does,however i have the street mufflers.

Mine also does not drone like the hooker system does,however i have the street mufflers.

Very Good Point! Mine does not drone like the Hooker either and I have the Race Pro's.

You forgot to mention that you have some customized rear suspension pieces. This would affect the fitment of the Pypes system.

You quoted the following on your own thread.....
I had a few snags in the install, but it was due to my rear suspension being "customized" and not the exhaust system

True I did say that, but that was my initial thought. Others have had the same problems since then so now I'm thinking it may indeed be the system. But I'm still happy with it, sounds good, flows good, looks good, and was priced good.