Hooker vs Magnaflow

gmpower

I was wondering if Cotton's dual magnaflow system is going to sound and perform much better than the Hooker system with the aerochambers.

The Hooker system is half the price of the magnaflows and I need to buy 2-3 kits, so I really don't want to spend the extra money for the magnaflows unless it's worth it.

I currently have a Hooker system on my 86 GN and am very happy with it.

The Aerochambers are supposed to be quieter. Muffler wise I doubt there is big hp difference either way.

The Hooker mild steel system on my low mile GN rusted out in less than 3 yrs & 2k-3k miles. I was told from hooker it was becasue I did not drive the car enough. :rolleyes: Rusted in the first bend after the cat. I called several times & even tried to buy the y pipe section to replace it, no dice...they'll only sell you the complete kit. Jack Cotton has a nice SS system, GN1 Performance has a nice SS system, Southheast Turbo has a SS system & Pypes has a nice 2.5" SS system for $294.00 through Summit (No Drone). I'm sure there's others out there as well. For the money on a 12 sec street car, Pypes hands down, but I'm sure the larger Cotton's 3" & 3.5" system will out flow it.

you might wanna look at pypes streetpro from summit. i put one on last week and its a very nice stainless system.

you might wanna look at pypes streetpro from summit. i put one on last week and its a very nice stainless system.

does it include a test pipe? if yes, then how many inches is it? Hopefully it will be the same length as my hooker test pipe, so I only need to buy one cat to switch off during emissions testing.

The Hooker mild steel system on my low mile GN rusted out in less than 3 yrs & 2k-3k miles. I was told from hooker it was becasue I did not drive the car enough. :rolleyes: Rusted in the first bend after the cat. I called several times & even tried to buy the y pipe section to replace it, no dice...they'll only sell you the complete kit. Jack Cotton has a nice SS system, GN1 Performance has a nice SS system, Southheast Turbo has a SS system & Pypes has a nice 2.5" SS system for $294.00 through Summit (No Drone). I'm sure there's others out there as well. For the money on a 12 sec street car, Pypes hands down, but I'm sure the larger Cotton's 3" & 3.5" system will out flow it.

My GN is aways garaged and driven in rain like3 times and it doesnt snow here and the hooker exhaust pretty much rusted off the car in 3 yrs also :mad:

My personal experience with the Hooker system vs. Magnaflow (but not the system from Cotton which may or may not be EXACTLY the same system I had) was that the Magnaflow had what I found to be a very annoying drone from 1800 to 2200 rpm which is a lot of the time in daily driving circumstances. The Hooker system has a mild drone at 1800 but is not present otherwise. This may or may not be important to you. But, that is why the Hooker system is on my GN now.

Dean

does it include a test pipe? if yes, then how many inches is it? Hopefully it will be the same length as my hooker test pipe, so I only need to buy one cat to switch off during emissions testing.

The Pypes system does NOT include the test pipe, however, it is an exact (or very nearly so) copy of the Hooker system (only in stainless), so it will match/fit right up with the Hooker test pipe...

I have Cottons stainless 2 1/2'' with Magnaflows and is louder than Hooker , but my Hooker exhaust was rotted so out bad and my car has never seen rain I dont even wash my car and it was rotted out bad. The only thing I don't like about Cotton's exhaust is the no tailpipe mounts like the Hookers are, but I might fab something up for that Or maybe get RJCs new dual 3'' crossflow? Or if someone want to trade for a ATR stainless 2 1/2'' crossflow??:biggrin:

i just had the Cotton's SS system with the Magnaflows put on the other day..only have about ten miles on it b4 the snow came

Wow, I've heard of quite a few Hooker systems rotting out awful quick lately, they must be made different or something today because I've had my Hooker system on my GN for 8 yrs. now with no rot at all, with the Aerochamber mufflers.

The Pypes system does NOT include the test pipe, however, it is an exact (or very nearly so) copy of the Hooker system (only in stainless), so it will match/fit right up with the Hooker test pipe...

No test pipe included in the Pypes kit? I guess I could measure my Hooker test pipe and buy the test pipe seperately.. I am seriously considering the pypes system now thanks for the input, guys.

No test pipe included in the Pypes kit? I guess I could measure my Hooker test pipe and buy the test pipe seperately.. I am seriously considering the pypes system now thanks for the input, guys.

Pypes does offer a test pipe and it is not included in the exhaust kits. The part# for the test pipe is PVC10

3 years with my hooker exhaust system with 1000 mile or so on them,i was just under my car today and appears to be rust free at this time.And yes she is always in the garage

one thing to note about the mufflers being discussed....

the magnaflows are a straight thru design while the hooker aerochambers have several chambers and baffles that the exhaust stream has to navigate.

typically, straight thru muffler designs are inherently louder than a chambered design. but the difference in sound levels is dependent on the power developed by the engine. you might notice a difference in sound level between the two muffler types on a 600 hp street car; the difference on a stock car would be negligible.

someone earlier listed stainless steel systems by various vendors. it is important to note that the pypes stainless system is 409 SS and will rust just like the factory headers and downpipe. Cotton's stainless system is 304 SS and will not rust. that is why the difference in pricing.

I put Cotton's 2.5" SS system on the car I'm putting together now. Spent a few days polishing the pipes to a mirror finish. and when your done, your done. it will not discolor (as long as you wipe it down with alcohol before it gets hot for the first time) and it will not rust out.

I would not bother with a mild steel system even for a driver. don't want to have to replace it in a few years. do it once and be done with it. One option for the mild steel system is to have it Jet Hot coated when new, before it goes on the car. It will last more than a decade but the cost is similar to a 304 SS system. just my $0.02.

The Hooker Maximum Flow are a straight-through perforated-tube type muffler. They flow better than the Aeros. A bit louder on the outside but quieter inside the cabin. Mine had no drone inside.

magnaflow dont make a system for our cars. they told me to bring my car 3,500 miles so they can make a kit........ so last year i had to buy the hooker aluminum kit cuz nobody made a kit besides crapmaster.

the magnaflows are a straight thru design while the hooker aerochambers have several chambers and baffles that the exhaust stream has to navigate.

typically, straight thru muffler designs are inherently louder than a chambered design. but the difference in sound levels is dependent on the power developed by the engine. you might notice a difference in sound level between the two muffler types on a 600 hp street car; the difference on a stock car would be negligible.

someone earlier listed stainless steel systems by various vendors. it is important to note that the pypes stainless system is 409 SS and will rust just like the factory headers and downpipe. Cotton's stainless system is 304 SS and will not rust. that is why the difference in pricing.

I put Cotton's 2.5" SS system on the car I'm putting together now. Spent a few days polishing the pipes to a mirror finish. and when your done, your done. it will not discolor (as long as you wipe it down with alcohol before it gets hot for the first time) and it will not rust out.

I would not bother with a mild steel system even for a driver. don't want to have to replace it in a few years. do it once and be done with it. One option for the mild steel system is to have it Jet Hot coated when new, before it goes on the car. It will last more than a decade but the cost is similar to a 304 SS system. just my $0.02.

Very good info, although 304 does discolor. It will turn gold in high heat areas and eventually turn brown.

409 stainless steel is great material for exhaust systems. It will last longer than the car will. It will turn color as will 304 stainless.

Hooker is correct in saying that if you only drive your car to the local cruise in, or grocery store, it WILL rot off. That is the WORST thing you can do to your exhaust. For every gallon of gas you burn, you produce one gallon of water, along with multiple corrosive particles. If you don;t drive the car everyday, that water vapor and corrosive contaminates stay festering in your pipes. If you drive it every day the heat will burn the nasty stuff out. If you run race gas in your car and only for short trips, a mild steel system will rot off in about a week.;) Race gas does TERRIBLE things to steel. If you are going to store your car for any long period, run unleaded fuel through it for about an hour of so.
I had to recently throw a real nice set of ported iron heads away becasue of race gas corrosion. I first tried to sand the ports clean. Came back out into the shop the next day, and there were rust "spots" in the exhaust ports. I then took some carbide to the ports and removed about .015" off of the port walls (exhaust oly) and the next day the same thing happened. I ground some more, and it came back! (kinda like a cat you really HATE) I ended up having to grind so much, that the heads were JUNK! Into the recycle bin they went. Wasted a set of $1,200 cylinder heads. The valves were fine, so I saved about $350 on my next set. (though, I do all my own porting, but it cost me more than 25 hours of dirty/hard work.:mad:) These heads had been run ONLY on C-16, and were pulled off to rebuild the engine. They sat for about 2 yrs in open dry air. (well, as dry as it is in my shop, that never drops below 50 degrees) The corrosion "worm holed" into the water jackets. It WILL do the same to your exhaust system.
Stainess steel, whether its 409, 304, 321, or Inconel, will out live the rest of the car. Even inconel will change to a brown color when it reaches 1000+ degrees. If you want to keep polishing your 304 tubing, it will look nice for a long time. Alot of work, but if that is what you like, have at it. A light rubbing with Scotch-Brite* will also keep it looking great.