Horrible idle, misfire, backfire, smoking....

i have this same problem!! I replaced the ignition module,coil pack,tps,computer,adjusted the cam sensor,new plugs,new plug wires,tried a different chip in the ecu,checked all grounds and even installed an extra from firewall to coil bracket.Car idles vary rough wont hardly even rev up blows black smoke..vary rich. sounds like the spark or injector timing is off.check engine light stays on from the time you turn the key on and wont flash if i try to check the codes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I need it!!!

Reseat your prom chip in the computer........ :smile: Also, use an eraser from a pencil and clean them off before inserting the chip.

i will try the chip solutions tomorrow but for today i tried the maf,ignition module and coil pack,and crank sensor off my freinds perfectly running gn today with no difference.Tomorrow we are going to try his cam sensor and his map sensor. Do you guys thing that spark control module would make any difference?? the car currently idle's ok but not perfect and when throttled up it sounds like its got a 2 step in it,and all around is running really rich.

i will try the chip solutions tomorrow but for today i tried the maf,ignition module and coil pack,and crank sensor off my freinds perfectly running gn today with no difference.Tomorrow we are going to try his cam sensor and his map sensor. Do you guys thing that spark control module would make any difference?? the car currently idle's ok but not perfect and when throttled up it sounds like its got a 2 step in it,and all around is running really rich.

MAP sensor is only for ur dashes boost gauge, it will not do anything...unless u converted to speed density!

It's not white as if it's a head gasket thing, it's more of a pure gray with the slightest tint of blue... Stinks like all get out, it's running ultra rich and spewing clouds of stench :D

Did you ever get around to tinkering on it? Maybe you should just sell it to me broken :biggrin:

Let us know
BW

If you dont have a spare chip, just remove the 8 position chip and start the car. The ses light will flicker really fast during this time, it will run a little rough, but will eliminate the black smoke issue you are having.

If its a maf, just unplug the maf sensor and take the uppipe off.

It could be stuck injector, is one or all the plugs drinched with fuel?

BW

i put the stock chip in the ecu and i tried both and the car runs good.obviously with 50lb injectors its rich with the stock chip. It seems the selector part of my 8pos setup is bad so i will order a new selector/cable. I thank all you guys for your great info and suggestions!!!

i do have two chips for my setup and the problem occurs with either chip so i think it has to be the cable assy.

Did you ever get around to tinkering on it? Maybe you should just sell it to me broken :biggrin:

Let us know
BW

I finally got a chance to look at it for a few minutes. I checked the engine codes, but it just blinking 12, nothing else :confused: . Unplugged the MAF and started it, the car smoked a little on startup but idled pretty smooth. After I plugged the MAF back in it started belching smoke again and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, so I would have to assume that the problem is solved, lol. But why no code? :confused:
I hate to spend $200 on a translator and another $100 or so on an LT-1 MAF, but I'm guessing with running alky and 24 lb's I should probably suck it up and upgrade. I'd also hate to spend $75 on a rebuilt stocker and have it quickly crap out on me as well.

Don't worry man, if I ever do get that final urge to sell the car I'll contact you first, since I got your dad all excited then pulled the football out from under his feet (Charlie Brown and Lucy style) awhile back. I thought I wanted to sell it, but I just couldn't, man.... ;)

Man talk about getting sidetracked. I went and checked prices for you on a site early this morning, and i just now see you posted needing a known good maf sensor.

I wished i had a maf sensor i knew was 100% functional, right now i have a few but the roads suck, and my SMC pump leaks at the fittings so i cant varify wot settings.

How quick do you need it? I have tomorrow monday and tuesday off.

I could do some testing, and see if i have one, wouldnt be a problem.

Man i cant believe i forgot to post back, im getting old!

PS, i believe 12 is no codes, so the maf is bad, just hasnt ran long enough to trip the code, or the sensor is positioned backwards.

BW

To summarize this for future sputtering victims: It was the MAF, just like you guys said. An eBay Translator and a used LT-1 MAF later, and it's running strong. Thanks, all :D