You can type here any text you want

how about a supra motor in a GN?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
You can tell school is out and all the kids have extra time to come up with ideas they learned from the fast and furious 1 and 2. The kids still think the supra turbo motor is the motor to build for a fast car. The quickest supra turbo cars have been flogged now for about 10 years and are in the low 8s to high 7s and must use a powerglide tranny and ford 9inch to do it. They are also very expensive to build up. At the last supra meet I read about the dyno test winner with 1050 rwp ran a best of 10.5 on the strip. They make good numbers but dont put it to the ground very well. The buick v6 was knocking on the 6 sec door at the strip in just a couple of years after being introduced and with old mechanicle fuel injection. Yes you can do what ever you want with your car and money but why? The buick v6 is proven and the supra I6 is still being proven. At the track I see 9 sec street buicks all the time and to date have seen 1 12 sec supra. Yes their are some quick ones somewhere just not too many.

BIG BLOCK

I was thinking the chevy 454 crate would be nice with a turbo on it and that paxton or vortech carb box , efis more $$ you know . The compresion is low and its got all forged parts in the shortblock , aside from the purists whats everone think about that idea .

ok so why is it sacrilege, look at the hybrid 240Z's running around with GN motors, so should the 240Z croud be going around saying Sh** like he should be run over by a train or that what he did was sacrilegeous, NOOoo

the reasion why it is not sacrilegeous is because the engine in a 240z was/is a pos

Originally posted by galoush
I was thinking the chevy 454 crate would be nice with a turbo on it and that paxton or vortech carb box , efis more $$ you know . The compresion is low and its got all forged parts in the shortblock , aside from the purists whats everone think about that idea .

Sounds great. I have thought of that too... But do it to a N/A V6 Buick. Besides, you can pick em up for cheap, then make em look however ya want :D

Someone go grab a N/A (Non TR) Buick for $750, go drop the supra motor in it, and see who's right ;)

LETS GO OVER THE DEFINITION OF RICE, SHALL WE? A TOYOTA SUPRA, RX-7, 300ZX, OR SOMETHING FAST IS NOT RICE. RICE IS AN IMPORT CAR LIKE A HONDA CIVIC THAT HAS WINGS AND SPOILERS AND 100 STICKERS ALL OVER IT COMPLETE WITH FART CAN AND RACING SEATS WITH A MONSTER TACH AND RACING HARNESSES THAT RUNS 16 SECOND QUARTER MILES. I THINK ANYTHING THAT IS FAST IS RESPECTABLE. NOW AS FAR AS THIS POST GOES, A GN WOULD BE RICE (AND SACRELEGE) IF SOMEBODY TOOK OUT THE OLD LC-2 AND DROPPED IN A V-TEC!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WETHER IT IS A BLOWN V-8, A V-6, OR A FOUR CYLINDER, WHO CARES? IF IT MAKES 1000 HORSES, IT MAKES 1000 HORSES. I WOULD PUT A 2 CYLINDER MOTORCYCLE ENGINE IN MY GN IF IT MADE 1000 WILD PONIES! SPEED IS SPEED!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GNFURY
LETS GO OVER THE DEFINITION OF RICE, SHALL WE? A TOYOTA SUPRA, RX-7, 300ZX, OR SOMETHING FAST IS NOT RICE. RICE IS AN IMPORT CAR LIKE A HONDA CIVIC THAT HAS WINGS AND SPOILERS AND 100 STICKERS ALL OVER IT COMPLETE WITH FART CAN AND RACING SEATS WITH A MONSTER TACH AND RACING HARNESSES THAT RUNS 16 SECOND QUARTER MILES. I THINK ANYTHING THAT IS FAST IS RESPECTABLE. NOW AS FAR AS THIS POST GOES, A GN WOULD BE RICE (AND SACRELEGE) IF SOMEBODY TOOK OUT THE OLD LC-2 AND DROPPED IN A V-TEC!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WETHER IT IS A BLOWN V-8, A V-6, OR A FOUR CYLINDER, WHO CARES? IF IT MAKES 1000 HORSES, IT MAKES 1000 HORSES. I WOULD PUT A 2 CYLINDER MOTORCYCLE ENGINE IN MY GN IF IT MADE 1000 WILD PONIES! SPEED IS SPEED!!!!!!!!!

u are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Supra Motor

Man, if I had the scratch I'd do it just to pizz off the Buick Geeks!:rolleyes:
Its like the Cobra threads, everyone cries "But for 35k I could build a faster TR'".............big effen deal.

Supras are fast cars, and putting a Supra motor in a GN would be cool. :cool:

BT

Yeah right.... :rolleyes:

Putting a turbo Chebby motor in an original Hemi car would be cool too eh?

Doubt it would win you many friends.... go stand under a hose if you want to be cool by yourself. :D

Just my $35K worth. ;)

Re: Supra Motor

Originally posted by Foolis
Man, if I had the scratch I'd do it just to pizz off the Buick Geeks!:rolleyes:
Its like the Cobra threads, everyone cries "But for 35k I could build a faster TR'".............big effen deal.

Supras are fast cars, and putting a Supra motor in a GN would be cool. :cool:

BT

Fool.......

Fool?

Fool.......

And you are basing this on my post? Now THATS foolish. So, if you are such a genius, just how fast is "the Brick"? You a TR Guru, I take it, like 95% of TR owners.

QUOTE]Putting a turbo Chebby motor in an original Hemi car would be cool too eh?[/QUOTE]

Sure! Whatever floats your boat. My father put a 265 in a 40 Ford ragtop.....That wrong too?

:rolleyes:

BT

Re: Fool?

Originally posted by Foolis
And you are basing this on my post? Now THATS foolish. So, if you are such a genious, just how fast is "the Brick"? You a TR Guru, I take it, like 95% of TR owners.
BT

Never said I was a TR guru but according to you I'm a Buick geek because I gave my honest opinion..... That's why I think you are a fool! Mmmkay?:)

BTW, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one so why don't we just agree to disagree and leave it at that..... Sorry for calling you a fool Foolis....

I'm done with this thread but if you want to continue it and call me a geek be my guest!

Later.......

All sh#t who cares

This guy just has an idea and if was faster and cheaper i would do it thats why we all have gns right

as for the cobra and supra i would take one any day for a daily driver over my gn anyday who wouldnt

but for weekend racing and drag its all about the bad boy GN

im tired of ignornt people saying stupid sh*t its like i told one of my friends the gn are awsome but as the years go by so dose technolgy and its harder to keep up

Johnny Montoya

Geeks

I use Geek as a term of endearmant. The Geek factor comes in with the laptops, chips, and the general internet addiction most have. Not a bad thing, a funny thing! ;)

I'm off to put a 10hp Briggs and Stratton in the old lady's CRV :eek:

BT ;)

as for the cobra and supra i would take one any day for a daily driver over my gn anyday who wouldnt

me for one, i dont know whats worse, the ford guys drooling all over the cobra or the kids nutting in there pants every time they see a supra. atleast i drive a car that only motor heads know about.

Originally posted by 86brick
No $3K for cams (the 2JZ-GTE motor does NOT have a single cam shaft).... I have seen a Supra single turbo kit work in IS300/SC300 platforms as well as a guy that had one in a little 1st gen RX-7 so why wouldn't it work in a GN?? I'm sure you could make it work..... With the rod and cams swap it may come out a little cheaper but you forgot to add the price of the ported upper intake manifold and I doubt you can use the same motor mounts so there would also be more money spent on custom fabrication needed that you are not thinking about.... With everything done and the 2JZ-GTE motor in the GN I think the price would end up being about the same or cost a little more and for what? To tell everybody you have a Toyota motor in a GN and are making around the same power, but with a stupid torque curve that isn't to good for drag racing:confused:

Sorry but NO THANKS!

86Brick, long blocks are $5-6K depending where you get them from. I will soon be getting them much cheaper. HKS 272 Cams are $1087.30 for the pair, and the cam gears are $273.90 for the pair. You can get the best Sound Performance Turbo Kit for $4000 less turbo. For the tranny, a TH400 with an adaptor plate will do. Add the Turbo of choice, some Juice and the right fuel system, and viola, 1K horsepower.

Someone was saying that the 2JZGTE is not a proven engine. There are atleast 3 2jzs in the country that run high to mid 6 second 1/4 milesthat I can remember off the top of my head. Both Bullish Solaras run the 2jzs, and the Venom Tundra runs 2jzs, not to mention the MANY 7 second cars using 2JZ power.

Paul Efantis uses a 2JZ with a T-80 and an undisclosed amount of juice. His car weighs 3400+ without him in the car. That is on a Drag Radial nonetheless. He is gonna run Big Daddy to see who the fastest on Drag Radials is. His engine however is NOT STOCK by any means. It is built to the hilt.

The prices that I gave above are REAL because that is what I sell them for. You can not build a 1K horsepower Stage II cheaper than a 2JZ-GTE. It ain't gonna happen.:)

Originally posted by rtviper
You can tell school is out and all the kids have extra time to come up with ideas they learned from the fast and furious 1 and 2. The kids still think the supra turbo motor is the motor to build for a fast car. The quickest supra turbo cars have been flogged now for about 10 years and are in the low 8s to high 7s and must use a powerglide tranny and ford 9inch to do it. They are also very expensive to build up. At the last supra meet I read about the dyno test winner with 1050 rwp ran a best of 10.5 on the strip. They make good numbers but dont put it to the ground very well. The buick v6 was knocking on the 6 sec door at the strip in just a couple of years after being introduced and with old mechanicle fuel injection. Yes you can do what ever you want with your car and money but why? The buick v6 is proven and the supra I6 is still being proven. At the track I see 9 sec street buicks all the time and to date have seen 1 12 sec supra. Yes their are some quick ones somewhere just not too many.

Toyota did not spend a grip of cash to see if their engine would run in the 6s as soon as they brought it out. The Buick engine that actually came in the Buick Regals are NOT running 6s. The engines that were running 6s soo soon were Stage motors. You know, GM/Buick spending tons of $$ to go really fast.

The fastest 2JZ powered cars in the world are running Liberty type clutchless transmissions, not Powerglides. There are however a handful of street-ish cars running the glide, Paul Efantis for one. BTW, he is using the STOCK IRS that came in the Supra.

Sure the fastest guys are running 9 inch Ford rears, but the fastest Buick guys are not running the 8.5 inch 10 bolt rears. I am talking about the 6 and 7 second Buicks.

The Supra is definitely a dyno queen, and they are very hard to launch when they are using the manual tranny. The autos are much easier to launch. There are plenty of "real" racers that are making 1000+ horsepower at the wheels that run the times that they should.

The Supra engine has been proven already. The Venom team has dynoed their Tundra at over 1200 horsepower at the wheels. This is with the stock 3.0 liters.

The reason you see more 9 second Buicks is because there were MANY more TRs made than MKIV (2JZ powered) Supras. They are way more rare than the TRs are. The fastest Supras seem to group in certain parts of the country, kinda like the TRs do. Go to Austin, Florida, Maryland, and Out here in California, there are plenty of 9 second street Supras.:)

Originally posted by Taffy
There are however a handful of street-ish cars running the glide, Paul Efantis for one.

Paul is not using a 'glide. He is using a 3 speed auto.. There were all kinds of rumors after the vid was posted and here is his response to the tranny question:

Regards
Ks

Originally posted by 9SECT78
I dont have a clue where you have heard these ridiculous remarks
but we still run a three speed and we use all THREE gears

Paul @ MSP
WORLDS QUICKEST AND FASTEST STREET TIRE SUPRA 8.46@167

What would be the point in such a swap? why not wonder how a Supra engine would run in a Mclaren F1, Ferrari Enzo, Saleen S7, Corvette, Shelby Cobra, LS6 Chevelle, Ford Pinto or any of the other 10,000+ models by any manufacturer for that matter? Why single out a GN? Sure they are great engines along with the Buick V6, and all the other great engines out there, why not just leave them in the Supra or other Toyota. Sure most any engine can be installed into any car chassis, but at what cost in money, aggrivation, and social acceptance? Sure maybe one does'nt care what anyone thinks but the whole automotive hobby is a social event to some degree and most Toyota and Buick ( and others) will wonder why also. And if your going to race, any type racing, what class would it be in? If you want a Toyota buy one, a GN buy one, but swaping from one respected hi perf car to anouther, especially brands makes no sense.

Back