how about a supra motor in a GN?

Originally posted by Taffy

You can not build a 1K horsepower Stage II cheaper than a 2JZ-GTE. It ain't gonna happen.:)

Yes you can!!! I spoke with a guy last night at the track that has had and sold many Stage II motors and parts..... Buying used Stage II parts and getting good deals on them it can be done very easily especially if you use a forged BMS crank instead of spending $2000+ for a new Billet piece.... If you or GNSCOTT don't want to believe me that's fine, but keep in mind you guys are leaving out the cost of aftermarket rods for the 2JZ-GTE motor and a ported upper intake manifold as well as several other little odds and ends that you will need.......

Also for your information Paul Efantis has a TH-350 tranny and the car was around 3300lbs when it ran that time and that was with nitrous!

Last night at the track I saw Ricardo LaCosta's twin turbo Stage II TR run some easy mid 8 second passes and he didn't need any spray to spool up the turbos like all the fast Supras and this car is easily capable of 1200hp......

If you guys don't agree with me that's cool.... I will just agree to disagree and leave it at that!

Originally posted by KEVINS
Paul is not using a 'glide. He is using a 3 speed auto.. There were all kinds of rumors after the vid was posted and here is his response to the tranny question:

Regards
Ks

My Baggage. I could have sworn that it was a Glide. It sounds like a glide on the vids.

Originally posted by 86brick
Yes you can!!! I spoke with a guy last night at the track that has had and sold many Stage II motors and parts..... Buying used Stage II parts and getting good deals on them it can be done very easily especially if you use a forged BMS crank instead of spending $2000+ for a new Billet piece.... If you or GNSCOTT don't want to believe me that's fine, but keep in mind you guys are leaving out the cost of aftermarket rods for the 2JZ-GTE motor and a ported upper intake manifold as well as several other little odds and ends that you will need.......

Also for your information Paul Efantis has a TH-350 tranny and the car was around 3300lbs when it ran that time and that was with nitrous!

Last night at the track I saw Ricardo LaCosta's twin turbo Stage II TR run some easy mid 8 second passes and he didn't need any spray to spool up the turbos like all the fast Supras and this car is easily capable of 1200hp......

If you guys don't agree with me that's cool.... I will just agree to disagree and leave it at that!

You still have to put the engine together!! The cost of assembly alone would be in the 3-4K range. Unless you get some guy that is practically giving his Stage II away. In that case, let me know acause I would like to get a fully done Stage II for the 7K it would cost to build the 1K horsepower 2JZ.

The cheapest way to do it would to get a front clip from Japan for roughly $5K. That way you get all the parts. I would rather get a new shortblock from Toyota and put the used head on it. Either way.

You do not need aftermarekt rods, or a ported intake, to get 1K horses out of the 2JZ. There are many guys putting 900+ to the wheels on bone stock bottom ends. That is well over 1000 at the crank.

I was wrong with Pauls tranny. But it weighed more than 3400 when he made his first 8 second pass at E-Town at the IDRC event. And oh yes it sure does use nitrous.

What is so bad about using nitrous? Remember when the Mustang and Camaro guys would rip on the TRs cause we needed turbo to keep up? If you can use it, why not? The 2JZ needs nitrous because of the smaller displacement. 3.0 liters and capable of 1400+ horsepower is pretty good in my book.:)

My friend that is running the scales right now at Englishtown in New Jersey informed me that Paul's car weighed 3275 this trip. Sounds like he is getting lighter. Good for him. It is still a full interior street car!!:)

Doesnt anyone who thinks the supra motor is the greatest thing since sliced cheese ever wonder why the car cost 45k when new? The motor was built to handle the power we are talking about. Their is a motor made to handle similar if not more power in the buick line and it is the stage motors that held the record at indy for years. This is the motor that ive seen with up to 1700hp. The stage motor was made for large power output as the newer supra motor was and the stage motor was making this power with old mechanical F.I. in the mid 80s. If their had been a nhra class that would have accepted the buick turbo motor back then the hp it would produce today would be amazing. The supra is a nice car but is and was too expensive for what it offered. The reason it was expensive was the cost to produce a strong little motor like it has. If cost is what your trying to cut corners on do like chow did and get a s/b turbo motor and make 1100 hp with about 14 lbs of boost:)

Originally posted by Taffy
You still have to put the engine together!! The cost of assembly alone would be in the 3-4K range. Unless you get some guy that is practically giving his Stage II away. In that case, let me know acause I would like to get a fully done Stage II for the 7K it would cost to build the 1K horsepower 2JZ.

The cheapest way to do it would to get a front clip from Japan for roughly $5K. That way you get all the parts. I would rather get a new shortblock from Toyota and put the used head on it. Either way.

You do not need aftermarekt rods, or a ported intake, to get 1K horses out of the 2JZ. There are many guys putting 900+ to the wheels on bone stock bottom ends. That is well over 1000 at the crank.

I was wrong with Pauls tranny. But it weighed more than 3400 when he made his first 8 second pass at E-Town at the IDRC event. And oh yes it sure does use nitrous.

What is so bad about using nitrous? Remember when the Mustang and Camaro guys would rip on the TRs cause we needed turbo to keep up? If you can use it, why not? The 2JZ needs nitrous because of the smaller displacement. 3.0 liters and capable of 1400+ horsepower is pretty good in my book.:)

Dude you are right you don't need aftermarket rods to make 1000hp, however, if you want it to stay in one piece for very long you do! Also, all of the 1000hp Supras I see have a ported intake so again go ahead and talk like you can do, but again talk is cheap!

You ask what is so wrong with nitrous? Nothing I guess, but I just think having to use a second power adder to make a turbo spool is a band aid approach and I personally don't like it (it just complicates things).... As far as the assembly being in the 3-4K range go ahead and add that, but keep in mind if you race your stock bottom end 2JZ-GTE hard enough at 1000hp you will need to buy another shortblock from Toyota not long after (why don't you ask Nero at Titan Motorsports how many motors he blew up with his 8 second Supra from just pure power)!!!! There are many things that don't get said by the serious guys that are racing Supras (like how many shortblocks they've used over the years)!

It's sad that you and the rest of the guys on the 'net think that those motor never come apart and are trouble free........

The Supra motor was created by God himself and is invincible!!! :rolleyes:

86brick there is no need to argue with those Supra lovers, you will always be wrong and them right. 1000hp that's really impressive (is it? :rolleyes: ) but the important element is to put those to the ground, and sorry but in that department I'll stick with my Turbo Buicks. ;)

Originally posted by buickfreak
86brick there is no need to argue with those Supra lovers, you will always be wrong and them right. 1000hp that's really impressive (is it? :rolleyes: ) but the important element is to put those to the ground, and sorry but in that department I'll stick with my Turbo Buicks. ;)

Good point and on that note I'm done (it was stupid for me to continue to argue)......

Originally posted by 86brick
Dude you are right you don't need aftermarket rods to make 1000hp, however, if you want it to stay in one piece for very long you do! Also, all of the 1000hp Supras I see have a ported intake so again go ahead and talk like you can do, but again talk is cheap!

You ask what is so wrong with nitrous? Nothing I guess, but I just think having to use a second power adder to make a turbo spool is a band aid approach and I personally don't like it (it just complicates things).... As far as the assembly being in the 3-4K range go ahead and add that, but keep in mind if you race your stock bottom end 2JZ-GTE hard enough at 1000hp you will need to buy another shortblock from Toyota not long after (why don't you ask Nero at Titan Motorsports how many motors he blew up with his 8 second Supra from just pure power)!!!! There are many things that don't get said by the serious guys that are racing Supras (like how many shortblocks they've used over the years)!

It's sad that you and the rest of the guys on the 'net think that those motor never come apart and are trouble free........

The Supra motor was created by God himself and is invincible!!! :rolleyes:

You are more than correct that the engine will not last ong at 1K HP. Usually they build the bottome end when getting that rediculous. I am not one of those guys on the net that believes that the 2JZ will last long at that power.

The 2JZ is not invinceable, it is just a VERy well built engine. If Buick put a 3.8 that was the same quality in the TRs, we would see many more 9 second stock blocks.

Alot of naturally aspirated racers also call turbocharging a band aid approach to making horsepower. Where does it end?

I love the TR, I just know how awesome the 2JZ is. Many folks want to dis the Toyota engine because it is a Jap engine. To say that there is another engine out there that is in the same leagueas the 2JZ, stock, would be rediculous.:)

Originally posted by rtviper
Doesnt anyone who thinks the supra motor is the greatest thing since sliced cheese ever wonder why the car cost 45k when new? The motor was built to handle the power we are talking about. Their is a motor made to handle similar if not more power in the buick line and it is the stage motors that held the record at indy for years. This is the motor that ive seen with up to 1700hp. The stage motor was made for large power output as the newer supra motor was and the stage motor was making this power with old mechanical F.I. in the mid 80s. If their had been a nhra class that would have accepted the buick turbo motor back then the hp it would produce today would be amazing. The supra is a nice car but is and was too expensive for what it offered. The reason it was expensive was the cost to produce a strong little motor like it has. If cost is what your trying to cut corners on do like chow did and get a s/b turbo motor and make 1100 hp with about 14 lbs of boost:)

The MKIV Supra cost closer to $60 when new. They priced it that high because they could. Toyota did drop the price to $40K+ because most folks did not want to pay that much.

Let me ask you rtviper, have you ever driven a MKIV Supra, or even ridden in a Supra? I have only ridden in one. The quality is second to none. It is a much better built car than the Corvette and the Viper. The Viper as matter of fact is a car that is poorly manufactured.

A friend of mine was the CPA for Acura of Beverly Hillsa few years back. The owner of Acura of BH bought 2 Vipers when they came out. I got to see them. I was apalled at the quality of those cars. Overspray in the engine compartment is the biggest thing that I was apalled at. What kind of crap is that?

What you are forgetting is that the Stage engine never came in a production car. The 2JZ has been in production since 93 and is still in production in the GE edition.

I definitely have to give Buddy Ingersol props for taking the Stage engine into the low low 7s on mechanical injection.

The Supra was not that overpriced for what you got. It was a little more expensive than the Corvette, but it was also a much higher quality car. The Corvette is not even close to the quality of the Supra. How many Corvette engines that have 100K+ are making 6, 7, and 8 hundred horsepower?:)

Wiked87gn if you are seriously interested in putting a 2JZ in a Regal, contact me. My mechanic and I are very interested in doing this. We are located in Baldwin Park. 626-536-2216.

Thank you mister taffy, for correcting 86brick as he has no knowledge of the supras, i my self own a mkiv supra tt and as well a 87 buick gn. now by all means im not an expert but it would be ridiculous paying 3k for a pair of hks cams when i can get them through supra store or any other store for 1k for both 264/ or 272's.

I love both of my cars the gn for low end power and the supra is great for top end and i think is a very good looking car, with a little bit of work on the suspesion side i think it has the same capabilities or event better ones than my gn, in all i would say my buick would spank the **** out of my supra since it is stock for right now;) in the end for us drag racers i comes too who can get to the other end faster than our opponent. and with some guys i always comes down too if it's not gm or not american it's no good like gm vs ford's. then again it's just my opinion right!!!!:) see ya guys

If you wanna compare price tags...

between building a 1k hsp supra, and a 1k stage two GN. Don't forget the purchase price of the supra, which is about 10-12k more then a nice GN. So if you get a GN for say 10k, build the motor, tranny, and get fuel management for another 20k(give or take) thats 30k, which is just a hair over what you will pay for just a stock supra, so once you start modding it, then what? 40k to 50k? :rolleyes:

You build your rice mobile, I'll build my domestic, and then when we compare time slips, I will 2 seconds faster, will less HSP.:p

DAMN! Allota bashing going on..

My 2c is that American should stay american and rice should stay rice..

So having that in mind, C Chows car is BAD azz even with the new block ;)

I personally would leverage the Stage II motor myself, my mech has the stage II and a single spool that does 8.31 in the 1/4 so the motor has potential no real need to change from my standpoint. But hell I dont know mechanix..

Now-- Take a damn 90's Nissan Sentra or Camery and throw in a TT Supra engine.. THATS Cool..

I don't think I would buy the converted even though it would be a one of a kind....

oh yeah... Wicked87 and 86 Brick.. Getta room.
:D :eek: :D

Well you can call it what you want ie.(rice):eek: :D sure you might be running low 8's on a fully built buick and sure you would be faster in 1/4, but while your low 8 sec buick is sitting in the garage my future 900+ hp potential and of course daily driven supra would be spanking some really ignorant people.:D like some that i have found in this board.

Dont get me wrong i love GN's that's why i own one ;) but what fun would it be if you can experiment some stuff once in a while, like a guy down here with a 2nd gen, rx7 with a gn drive train and it's really quick, oh but wait it's a rx7 some for some people like (86brick) it would suck right or maybe not since it is a gn engine. if you dont like dont give bad remarks who knows maybe wicked87 might have one of the fastest gn with supra hybrids in the states.:) :D

Cal Hartlines 8 sec ride is his daily driver. i talked to him in person and saw the car sittin there with street tires on it. he told me he has to drive it, its HIS car. his only other car he has is the truck which i believe his wife drives. he told me he uses 0 boost on the street cuz any more and it will just blow the tires away. so while your driving your 1000 HP Supra on street tires running 8s all over the place like nothing just remember this.

Quite frankly I think the american public has a NEED to flame others just to feel good about themselves. Instead of looking at what may appeal to somebody else and saying "I can kinda see why you like that , but it's not for me", they feel the need to flame others and to try and make them feel like an idiot or degrade them.
How many people that have posted here have gotten at least a tad upset b/c somebody doesn't respect your own Opinion? The desire to post something negative about somebodies OPINION and NOT leave it at a single post is mind numbing to me. I respect everyones desires, although some may not appeal to me, and if "I can't say anything nice,......"

Regards
ks:cool:

Taffy Yes the car was over priced and thats why it is gone. You say it was originally 60k then dropped to 40k to help sales and it still was way to high to save it. No I have not drove a supra even while I looked at them for a possible purchase. I have raced one on the street from a roll in my dodge and it wasnt very close but we were both stock I assume. Yes I should have won because of the diff. in power. As for the quality of the cars I think like most import enthusiests you get a little excited in your quest for an area to claim superiority about. I have never seen quality controll an issue in any of the cars I have been around or any in the viper clubs. I am sure their are some as their are with the supras. As for the two cars you mention the vette and viper do not park next to either of those cars with your supra as people will sit on the supra to look at the vette and viper. As for your defense of the potential of the supra motor because it came stock in the supra I think you summed it up with your remark about the 60k price tag. Going back to the original thread putting the supra motor in a GN is a less then bright idea. By the way the supra turbo motors have been flogged since the late 80s and when the new model came out in the 90s the racers started right away to drag race these motors. A couple of the same supra racers have been racing these motors for 15years. It has been a slow expensive process