How Are The Conversions Going? Inquiring Minds...

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Guys and gals,
I know that many of you are working on your E85 conversions. Anyone want to share their trials and tribulations with us? Are you being adequately supported by our vendors?
Conrad

Funny you should ask... I run the XFI, I can't get through to FAST to get any questions answered. I was on hold yesterday off and on all day. Tried again today and just get put on hold.
I would love to get more info on the XFI flex option, I have all the pieces but the sensor. Flashbacks of piss poor customer service are starting to come back. So to answer your question on vendor support... what vendor support?
Tg

TG,
Where did you purchase the XFI? I would call them first. Failing that, post questions here or call Jack or Cal (phone numbers in my signature below). I do have e-mail addresses for several guys at FAST. Drop me a PM and I will try to help you.
Conrad

Thanks Conrad
I purchased from Cal, he has had great support but I know he is busy this time of year. I haven't tried calling him yet.
Thanks
Tom

Haven't really had too many problems since converting to E85. The biggest one is cold starts - the car runs rough, etc but it smooths out as it warms up.
Usually only run 22psi on the street and its a rocket. The car definately likes E85.
The next step for me is a. powerlogger and wideband to see how far E85 will take me. Only vendor I've delt with for the conversion was Turbotweak for a chip, and I couldn't be happier with them!

the only vendors i've used in my coversion was whatever gas station i buy the stuff from.
that includes two different Cenex stations, a couple of Holiday stations, and a Tesoro.

"Are you being adequately supported by our vendors?"

I've been working with eric @ turbotweak and I am very pleased with the support that I have been getting. Im on 100% E85.

I'm not sure you call a chip change and injector change a conversion. :biggrin: But I've now logged over 20,000 on my E-85 daily driven car.

Sounds like you already have it figured out! Way to go!!

Questions...
1. How does it run?
2. Did you turn up the boost? If so, from where to where?
3. Are you having cold start problems?
4. Who's chip are you using?
5. What size injectors are you running?
Conrad

ps...that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for sharing our experience with us.

Car basics : All stock with the exception of ATR crossflow, ATR stock replacement DP, cold air kit and MAF Translator. Stock fuel system, with exception of hotwire and Kirban in tank pump ( previous owner ). I use stock fuel filters.

Questions...
1. How does it run?

Runs very well. Engine is much smoother @ cruise. Fuel mileage is lower but that is to be expected. I usually back down the mix to around E-65 to help out with mileage. Even with that mix I can still run 22 psi @ 26 deg timing with stock turbo and IC, 195 deg stat in 100 deg heat. This stuff is impressive to say the least.

2. Did you turn up the boost? If so, from where to where?

Originally the White had ( still does ) propane injection and a 93 chip tuned for it 22lbs. I never considered the car very fast at all. It was ok. So with the E-85 and 22 lbs, night and day. Alot more power. In fact dyno tests have proven E-85 setup is worth about 8% over 93 + alky. I'm sure I gained more than 8% over the propane setup. Propane is 108 octane, just proves that octane is not everything. :cool:

3. Are you having cold start problems?

I did. Under 50 deg intake temps E-85 has a hard time making a combustable mixture. There are 2 ways to tackle this 1. Have you chip person add PW to the injectors during start..also have them add more timing @start.. OR.. 2. Add about 10% of 87 gas to your E-85 and no problems.

4. Who's chip are you using?

Eric @ TT who else :biggrin: I'm on his third version now. The latest chip allowed me to change the entire fuel curve +- 20%, great for different mixes.

5. What size injectors are you running?

I'm running 83lb injectors using my modded ECM from the GN.

Wonderful details! Thanks so much. This is info that we can use.
Conrad

bsd, I'm also running 83's and I'm questioning if I have enough fuel @WOT
thru Red's single hot wired pump to run E-85 in the area of 115-117mph, I posted this ? earlier on this forum and looking for more info or just become more confused, I can have a excuse I'm 60 yrs young, lol

Ron

What brand & model is the pump? Do you have a pump curve (gal/minute vs lb/sq in)?
Conrad C.

Who makes Red's XP? Anyone know? Anyone got a pump curve for it?
Conrad C.

bsd, I'm also running 83's and I'm questioning if I have enough fuel @WOT
thru Red's single hot wired pump to run E-85 in the area of 115-117mph, I posted this ? earlier on this forum and looking for more info or just become more confused, I can have a excuse I'm 60 yrs young, lol

Ron

Answered your post to the best of my ability.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/254144-83-s-xp-pump-e-85-enough-fuel-wot.html
Can't beat a fuel pressure gauge...but you should be ok :biggrin:

I was wondering if our cars will run E-85! I stumbled across this thread!

This is my setup...

Stock Turbo & IC
60lbs mototron injectors
Accufab adjustable fuel pressure (set to 42)
Walbro 340 fuel pump with hotwire
ATR downpipe

You think this setup will run okay with a 50/50 mixture of 87/E-85??

Thanks!

Well, I went out and put 1/4 tank full added to a 1/8 of 87. Car doesn't do anything. I mean it runs fine! I did see no knock. I usually saw about 1 degree and now nothing.

I got strange looks from people when I put the E-85 in my 80's car.

Hey if is works! ;)

Anyone running E85 on 3800 SC's?

I keep trying, but mpg sucks pretty bad enough, like to the tune of 10 mpg loss. I have tried more timing, less timing, nothing seems to work, mpg just sucks. My LT1 now, loved it and got mid 16's all the time (city/highway). The 3800 SC gets in the 18's highway. 28-31 on 93 octane....

Ideas? Anyone else see similar mpg? What do you get with the GN/T-Types?

I can get E85 for $2.899 here, and 93 for $4.259, with the loss in mpg, it isn't worth it for me to even run. My LT1, by all means ran great, got 30K+ miles on that car with E85...

What everyone seems to forget...there is 30% less energy (BTUs) in a gallon of ethanol than in a gallon of gasoline so it WILL take ~30% MORE fuel to go a mile with E-85. Of course, E85 contains 15% gasoline so that helps bring the BTU's back up some but the price of E85 has to be ~25-30% less than that of gasoline for E85 to break even if you are looking only at the mileage!

The real advantage for us TR owners is the higher octane (105) and the cooling (chemical intercooler) effect of ethanol.

If you compare the price of E85 to that of racing gasoline, E85 looks pretty good. That is, of course, assuming that your TR actually needs racing gasoline.

Conrad C.