You can type here any text you want

How Arrogant does your TTA make you?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hell yea another young guy with one of the fire chickens!! I was 16 when I got mine out of pure chance. Originally I was looking for a jeep to turn into a crawler or a ranger to go prerunning with out here in the desert(tucson,az) but then out of chance while flipping through auto trader I see an add in the pontiac section,"Turbo trans am pace car, v-6 very fast, fun, mechanic owned blah blah blah" so I figure its just some kit car never knowing what a GN TR or TTA were. A week later I see it again with an ad next to it for an 81 "turbo" trans am so I do a google search and see the 89 is legit and decide to get a turbo supra buddy to come look at it with me and bring his car. So I talk with the owner, a young service manager at the local pontiac dealership(who also in his garage has a clean GN with the motor out getting built) and wants to sell it with 35k on it so his wife can tile the house. So I ask the usual noob questions, any accidents, documents of oil change, tap around the body, look at the underside. Then He ask if I want to go for a ride. As I walk to the passanger door he throws me the keys and tells me to give it a go. After explaining to me how a turbo acts he takes me with my friend in toe in his BPU turbo supra to an old street racing road here so I can let it open and tells my buddy to line up with us. So never driving a fast car I floor it from a stop, get sideways then take off like a SOB!! That car was bought 24hrs later by some very trusting parents! I've had it for 5yrs and no regets(except taking off perfectly fine heads now! :mad: I love schooling the old hot rodders who never knew about the LC2 in a T/A! and the little Sh*theads with their motor swaps!

prokeep15 said:
Hell yea another young guy with one of the fire chickens!! I was 16 when I got mine out of pure chance. Originally I was looking for a jeep to turn into a crawler or a ranger to go prerunning with out here in the desert(tucson,az) but then out of chance while flipping through auto trader I see an add in the pontiac section,"Turbo trans am pace car, v-6 very fast, fun, mechanic owned blah blah blah" so I figure its just some kit car never knowing what a GN TR or TTA were. A week later I see it again with an ad next to it for an 81 "turbo" trans am so I do a google search and see the 89 is legit and decide to get a turbo supra buddy to come look at it with me and bring his car. So I talk with the owner, a young service manager at the local pontiac dealership(who also in his garage has a clean GN with the motor out getting built) and wants to sell it with 35k on it so his wife can tile the house. So I ask the usual noob questions, any accidents, documents of oil change, tap around the body, look at the underside. Then He ask if I want to go for a ride. As I walk to the passanger door he throws me the keys and tells me to give it a go. After explaining to me how a turbo acts he takes me with my friend in toe in his BPU turbo supra to an old street racing road here so I can let it open and tells my buddy to line up with us. So never driving a fast car I floor it from a stop, get sideways then take off like a SOB!! That car was bought 24hrs later by some very trusting parents! I've had it for 5yrs and no regets(except taking off perfectly fine heads now! :mad: I love schooling the old hot rodders who never knew about the LC2 in a T/A! and the little Sh*theads with their motor swaps!

that's a good story. In my case my family are Firebird diehards. We have a 72 Firebird (my dad is the original owner with like 63k miles on it being restored) and a 98 Trans Am (my mom was the original owner but it's now my brothers). The TTA is really the only third gen that I would ever own. I was looking mainly at older muscle cars like a 67 Firebird, GTOs, and Chevelles. However everything was pretty much out of my price range or not up to my standards. Then after seeing a TTA at the Trans Am Nationals I decided that I would start looking for one. After a lot of reading and looking at a couple for sale I finally purchased mine up by Detroit from a guy wanting to buy a used C5 (dunno why you'd trade a TTA for a C5). So I picked it up with 16k miles on it but the car being a little rough. I have spent the last almost 2 years cleaning it up and keeping it in the best shape that I can.

As for beating people I suprised a Heads/Cam/ Supercharged LT1 this last weekend. We went out and raced from a low roll (around 30 mph) and after I finally got traction (he had 315s in the rear) I kept even with him. He ended up beating me by about a car length but he expected it to be more.

Thats sweet, your setup is almost like mine...what are you doing for a DP, or do you run a cutout? I have a pt52 50lbs-er's walbro 340kit from racetronix or something like that and a fresh billet 9inch 3200stall T/C and fresh tranny back from century tranny. Unfortunately I'm a dumbass though and took my perfectly virgin heads off cause I thought it'd be good spring cleaning :mad:

Heads Removal

"Unfortunately I'm a dumbass though and took my perfectly virgin heads off cause I thought it'd be good spring cleaning"
Is there a problem with the TTA when you remove the heads? :confused: I am not aware of any problems with the LC2 (GN) when you remove the heads.

Read the two previous threads. "Head bolts" and "head bolts and heads" I think you will get the idea of what he is talking about.

HTH Jason

prokeep15 said:
Thats sweet, your setup is almost like mine...what are you doing for a DP, or do you run a cutout? I have a pt52 50lbs-er's walbro 340kit from racetronix or something like that and a fresh billet 9inch 3200stall T/C and fresh tranny back from century tranny. Unfortunately I'm a dumbass though and took my perfectly virgin heads off cause I thought it'd be good spring cleaning :mad:

Yeah, I just got my setup running really good. I have been staying even with local cars that are running 11.6-11.8@117-119 lately from about a 30 mph roll. I'm pretty happy with the setup. As far as DP I'm just running the stocker with a cutout. Everyone makes fun of me for it but it spools just fine and I would rather just deal with a little tiny bit of lag (probably like 50-100 rpm) compared to the fitment problems and cutting the heat shield and everything. I hope you have a nice investment in a tire company though because radials are gunna hook, anything below like a 30 mph it just blows them off and anything below like 40mph it spins a little.

Yea I have a cutout to which will probably be going back on now that you mentioned your opinion and times with just about the same size turbo and its spooling effects. I really wanna justify getting a 3inch but since no one is making them right now, (and I always felt a cutout is pretty close to a 3in DP), I think it'll go back on!

Back