How bout info on repairing rear inner wells

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I've seen a lot of gbodies with "holy" wells;) by the pinch seam. Anyone got a fix for these besides cutting them out and putting new?? I was thinking the por15 floor repair kit:confused:

I bought the por15 kit but I got it for the light rust in the door jams and the floor pan. I have whole at the bottom pass side rear quarter I can almost put my hand in and a smaller one on the driver rear quarter. I was going to patch it with the por 15 but I just recently decided to cut it out and weld in a new piece.

I have not found panels for these cars so I will have to fab them up but I do not think it will be too difficult since the bottom of the quarter is nice and flat. I have seen plenty of shows on how to do this and keep the heat down so not to cause warping.

When I dip into this I will post some pics but it may be a month or so.....

OK, looks like we got someone to post a how to on quarter patching. Anyone out there have to repair the rear inner wells? I'm sure about 50% of g bodies have this problem and not everyone can afford to put good used ones in:rolleyes:

Haven't repaired the rear wheel wells on my Buick yet but did it to my 69 GTO. I could take some pictures of the fix if you would like.

Heres the pictures of my inner wheel well repair. I had to replace all the way across. I did it in four pieces. Each section was cut out individually and flattened with a hammer, then traced with a marker to get the shape and size, marked and drilled the spot weld holes out, then fitted the pieces to the area it was going in and tacked in place.

Attachments

• 100_0106.jpg
    100_0106.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 790
  • 100_0107.jpg
    100_0107.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 801
  • 100_0108.jpg
    100_0108.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 796
Realistically you just have to cut out the s#!tty stuff and fab a piece in place. When I did mine...on both cars:rolleyes: ...I didn't put two pieces together like the factory. I just put a thicker piece in and welded it where they come together. It's hard to explain the process....we just kinda winged it.:redface: Here is a pic of the finished patch. It's the only pic I can find.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• clara 221.jpg
    clara 221.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 750
oh man this is gonna suck:( I'm probably gonna have to rebuild the whole well by the time I'm done cutting! Nice job to both of you though, looks good.

Bored and doing some follow up stuff. Don't be scared to tackle this one guys, if I can do it and have it look good, you can too

how

Thanks for the boosting words I will have a super busy summer with both quarters and under the door fillers gone ..

Attachments

• buick rust 1.jpg3.jpg
    buick rust 1.jpg3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 535
  • buick rust 1.jpg
    buick rust 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 523
I'm working on rust in the wheel wells and I don't have very much experience so just looking for some advise. I have sanded all rust down to bare metal and looking to pervent rust from returning, I have POR-15 perventive paint would that be sufficient enough for a top coat? or would I just paintover the POR with rustoleum for a top coat?

I put por15 seam sealer on mine with por over it then undercoat. I dont' think I'll ever have to do it again;)

What would you suggest seam sealer then POR-15 perventive paint. Would I just put another coat of POR-15 as an undercoat? Sorry just a beginner.

Sorry last question would I coat the entire well with seam sealer? I don't mean to be a pain just trying to get it right the first time.

used por15 metal filler for the seams and welds and painted with por 15 and undercoated it

I wonder if the monte carlo inner wheel house will work. I think Sherman makes them along with monte carlo quarters:mad: