You can type here any text you want

how close should my bottom feeder sump be to the pan?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

I'm about to throw my tranny back in the car, but a ? ive had for a while was how close should the filter be to the bottom of the pan? Mine is right on it, and i have to press the pan down against the filter when installing the pan. Should it be this close? I would think sitting on the bottom with that much force would seal it off to some fluid? Any ideas? BTW its a bottom feeder setup and matching shallow pan from PTS. Really nice stuff that ive been using for a long time, but im just curious.

JDSfastGN said:
I'm about to throw my tranny back in the car, but a ? ive had for a while was how close should the filter be to the bottom of the pan? Mine is right on it, and i have to press the pan down against the filter when installing the pan. Should it be this close? I would think sitting on the bottom with that much force would seal it off to some fluid? Any ideas? BTW its a bottom feeder setup and matching shallow pan from PTS. Really nice stuff that ive been using for a long time, but im just curious.
What filter are you using?

its a filter from a 200C tranny... its nylon screened and looks just like the one that originaly came on the sump setup. looking at the tranny filter chart at the autoparts the only other choice is a brass looking filter that is exactly the same size

JDSfastGN said:
its a filter from a 200C tranny... its nylon screened and looks just like the one that originaly came on the sump setup. looking at the tranny filter chart at the autoparts the only other choice is a brass looking filter that is exactly the same size
You will need some clearance with that one. At least 1/8th inch.

build my own

I use a 747 Chrysler filter and a deep homemade pan and rear feed---3/8 in. I fought a pressure problem once by having the filter all the way to the bottom.

You are fine

The sump has "stands" that hold it to the bottom of the pan but do not let it suck itself to the bottom. The deep pans utilize the late nylon filter and the shallow pans utilize the early brass screen one. It should be 1/8 to 3/8 off the pan rail and suck up to it. It SHOULD be that way. Do not take advice on this from anybody but me. You are welcome to call anytime.
916-739-0510

Also , it is on the instruction sheet as to why this is.

Bruce
We4

Back