how difficult to remove powdercoat?

disco stu

I had my intake and intercooler pipes powdercoated. The shop said it was impervious to mild degreasers. It isn't, and it looks like poop. Is there an easy way to remove this crap? :mad:

I've heard that some paint removers will take off some powders, but have never tried it myself and it will depend on the exact powder chemistry. The shop we use has a small (only 6'x6'x6') oven that they use to fire off old powder at 550-600 F when they have to recoat something for us. Take them back to the shop that coated them and see if they will burn if off for you. Otherwise, I think it may be scrape, bead blast, or wire brush time, sigh.

Originally posted by disco stu
I had my intake and intercooler pipes powdercoated. The shop said it was impervious to mild degreasers. It isn't, and it looks like poop. Is there an easy way to remove this crap? :mad:

Aircraft Stripper works awesome!

sandblast it off and buy a quart of molyresin and give it a nice coat. it comes in a nice brushed aluminum color and a shiny black and is pretty much the strongest stuff ive ever used. molyresin is used for painting guns but if applied correctly, it looks great on the uptake pipe and turbo shield.

what color ?

my guess would be "chrome". Unless it's clear coated(then it doesn't look like chrome) its easily discolored. My powder coated parts have been very durable(valve covers,up pipe, brackets,window and wheel well trim ect..). Powder coat stripper or burning it off is probably the easiest.

We tried some other local powdercoaters a while back that claimed to be able to do top-grade work for us. Well, lets just say our idea of top & their idea of top are 2 completely different levels :( We decided to strip them & let our regular powdercoater (slower but better) do them. Here is what we found:

Sandblasting with the best cutting media takes forever.

We used a source in Ohio, called DECOATING, Inc. (419) 347-9191
Very good work, fast & not too expensive. They soak it in a liquid salt bath at high temps for hours, and it takes it right back to the sandblasted (or base) surface. They recommend blasting/cleaning it again to get a good adheasion the next time around.

Powdercoating is basically a plastic "type" material, and most any chemical eats it to some degree, just like painted surfaces.

It can also be wet-sanded like paint & buffed out or even repainted on top of the powdercoat. Just scuff the gloss off, get them clean & dry, and paint away with any paint safe on plastic stuff.

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys. BTW it was the "chrome". Looked great fresh. A good looking alum color with a ceramic type sheen to it. Didi not last long. The black on the valve covers was unaffected.