You can type here any text you want

How do I get there from here,need a vendor with a formula and some patience.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Phartsmellar

I just bought a bone stock 87 GN off Ebay recently,And Have recently Purchased some Parts from a member here,(Jevans, good guy by the way).

I bought his moser 9",with 35 spline axles 5/8s studs, UMI adjustable control arms,tubular control arms and springs for front and rear,new Adjustable drag shocks,Basically the whole suspension will be new and worthy,I ordered a 3.70 gear with spool center section from moser.

After spending several nights on this site trying to decifer all the code language and abbreviations and wearing out the search engine.I thought maybe it would just be easier to ask for help (I am a turbo/ FI -Newbie Retard) Can I learn,I am pretty sure,I would just like to accelerate the learning curve.

I would Like to build the car the right way one time,rather than inching up on the goal,that goal being I would like a car that could be street driven,with AC on it.And have 9 second potential. Tall order probably,but I see claims of it being done.

The car Being a typical sight unseen Ebay Jewel turned out to be a rust bucket, My Plan is to do the front and rear suspension this week and leave it driveable and take it to the Paint shop, In the Mean time,I am pretty sure Ill Need to get a turbo,some heads,intercooler ,cam,converter etc.(I know this wont be a cheap endeavor).

If one of the board Guru's/ vendors will stick with me,I'll vow to order all the go Fast stuff from them. If one doesnt respond,I am definetly open to Suggestions,The car Is going to get fiberglass Bumpers front and rear,The originals are wasted anyway.

I would like the car to appear mostly stock,under the hood whatever it takes is fine though. Any Help will be appreciated...

i ordered the gears,yesterday,it may not be to late to change,what comes to mind..3.55?spool doesnt scare me on the street, A heavy car thats fast needs absolute positraction,in my opinion, I have had some fairly quick stuff,just nothing with less than 8 cylinders or under boost.

What's with you??

Are you a vendor:confused:

He ask for info on vendors--I sent him my personal opinion that I didn't care to share with everyone else. And no, I am not a vendor, nor do I ever plan on becoming one. But thanks for asking.

Start with a budget and stick to that, then see how fast you can go with that budget. Otherwise you'll have spent $40K+ and have a car apart on jackstands you would rather set on fire than work on:eek: You can go 9's on many stock parts if the tune is right. You don't need a 9 inch to go 9's. The original 8.5 10 bolt can get it done with 3.42 gears.

Start with a budget and stick to that, then see how fast you can go with that budget. Otherwise you'll have spent $40K+ and have a car apart on jackstands you would rather set on fire than work on:eek: You can go 9's on many stock parts if the tune is right. You don't need a 9 inch to go 9's. The original 8.5 10 bolt can get it done with 3.42 gears.

LMFAO! What the hell you been spying on me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I am sure your Right that a person can run 9's with (what I would call) the marginal rear end.At this Stage of my Life I just try and conform with whats proven to work repeatedly,and The Budget as usual was blown out the window when the floor boards had rust so bad the front of the seats were not attached to anything. That being said I am not worried to much about budget, Other Than if it costs 300k it better run like a promod, and if its a 15K deal it should run 13.0s. Run accordingly I suppose. If it ends up Running 8's I am not gonna be upset, the parameter set was factory appearance with AC not Money.
Also anyone is welcome to respond to this,Occasionally my light bulb burns bright enough to sort out who is the best person suggested or to trade with that is a Vendor that supports this board.

I would definitely go no lower than 3.55's and IMO if you wanna go that fast, I would put a cage in before it goes to paint

Sent from my DROID2

i ordered the gears,yesterday,it may not be to late to change,what comes to mind..3.55?spool doesnt scare me on the street, A heavy car thats fast needs absolute positraction,in my opinion, I have had some fairly quick stuff,just nothing with less than 8 cylinders or under boost.

If you have never had a spool on the street, you wont like it. Heavy car or not, the aftermarket posi units are more then enough. Been there and done that in my blower car, which has a longer wheel base then the GN has and it still was a bitch to turn when the rear tires are not getting traction. If the road is slightly wet, you will go straight and backing up is even worse. I had to do a 5 point turn just to back in my driveway. If you have had a spool, then you are ready for what you are asking for. Have fun.

:biggrin:

You never told us where you are located......

I'm sure there is some great vendors that would be willing to help you. A good one that is fairly close is even better.... albeit not mandatory.

I would start out with a ET goal...... then pick/choose what to buy accordingly. A good vendor will be priceless in that area.

As others have said..... you can go mighty fast with alot of the stock junk...... just with the right upgrades and tuning.

My Idea of street driving is to go to the local Saturday Night Hang out and Socialize a bit and maybe do a little contesting for Speed as the local citations read. And mostly go to the track. The AC thing is crutch for negotiations,but it gets darn hot down here,it will be handy. By No means would I ever rely on this for transportation.--A spool will be fine, I am use to using them.

Something else I may have not made clear is I am by no means obligated to try to do this with the factory short block, I somewhat anticipate doing a forged crank ,rods girdle etc.

I am a pump gas guy for a street car and A/C...... add an alky kit.... like Razor's Alky kit (vendor on here) and with the right parts and combo..... you can have a full weight 10 sec car.... that runs on pump gas and alky.

First thing you got to do is decide how fast you want to go......

As stated in initial post, atleast 9 sec capable,with ac that works. To me 9.70s or better sounds fairly solid.Pump Gas is of no interest to me, So lets assume I will use 114 oct or better. A question I will have for the vendor will be,if using 114 oct ,will an alky kit be neccasary, this should show you how little I know about whats fixing to Happen. Pretty Sure P.t .Barnum would love to be my Sales Person.

As stated in initial post, atleast 9 sec capable,with ac that works. To me 9.70s or better sounds fairly solid.Pump Gas is of no interest to me, So lets assume I will use 114 oct or better. A question I will have for the vendor will be,if using 114 oct ,will an alky kit be neccasary, this should show you how little I know about whats fixing to Happen. Pretty Sure P.t .Barnum would love to be my Sales Person.

Sorry I missed the 9 sec statement in the initial post.

So.... 9.70's on C16 race fuel.......

IMHO..... build it for high 8's or 9.0's and mid to high 9's should come much easier without it having to be a perfect pass.... on perfect air.... on a perfect launch... etc.... you get the picture...

The closest "class" that races at the buick events that has the potential...is probably THS class.....but 9.70's is the creme of the crop fastest in class guys.....

The next step up in "setups" is the TSM setups....... they mostly are mid 9 sec and faster setups still stock block based.... the fastest current TSM racers are running 9.0's in competition.....

If the $$ is there..... and you are thinking a 9.0 TSM type setup..... I'd look into a stage motor buildup.....cause a 9.0 capable TSM type combo isn't much $$ difference...... for the most part....

My recommendation would be to pick a vendor..... but if you want a general recommendation....

Plan on:

016 casting 4.1 stage block with 4 bolt mains and 14 bolt heads
stroker steel crank
good rods and pistons
Champion ported GN1's or TA Performance Ported SE heads
headers
around a 224 @ .050 roller cam (decent manners for the street)
New 71HPQ billet PTE turbo (4 bolt preferred)
Matching PTC converter (see Dusty Bradford on here)
Well built T400 with a transbrake
good boost controller and an external wastegate preferred
XFI and prob 120# injectors

This setup would go high 8's on some good air on less than 30# of boost.

Cut it back to 24 lbs.... and it should go mid 9's.

Down the road.... stick another turbo on it.... and cut it up..... and low to mid 8's wouldn't be impossible.

There you go.... it's "a start"

Back