How good were motors built by extreme automatics?

evil666

There is a guy on this board selling a motor built by extreme automatics and would like to know what was their reputation on building motors? I know they are well known for transmissions but would like to know what you guys know on how well their motors have performed?

Thanks
Marco

T-Top 86 Grand Nationals (63000km) 109 block with weisco forged pistons and 2 billet center main caps, M&A aluminum heads, roller rockers, port match lower intake ,te63 a.r .82, erson 214/214 cam, razor alky injection, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, kenne bell headers, 60 lbs injectors, extender alky chip with 21/19 timing, with a gen 2 with a LS1 maf,thdp, mease 24 row IC, PTC 3200 stall 9 1/2 convertor, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/60/15) , rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms, Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
60FT=1.48 (foot brake on 4 lbs of boost)
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83
MPH=105.2 (letting off the gas, car was running to lean, double pumper for next year)

I'm going on season #5 with mine running nine sec passes.

Phil mcgloin has a tsm car that is in the low 9s with a ea engine
Tim LeMay had gone many seasons in tsm wth his ea engine
There are a lot of others out there, this are just the few off the top of my head that people here may know.

That one being sold on here looks to be almost the same shortblock. Stock stroke, k1 rods, eagle crank, girdle, etc..

Lonnie has been a big part of my TSO motor program. He has built many of the top TSM motors in the past. I currently have one of his 109 strokers in my show car. If it is coming from Lonnie you cant go wrong. If you are buying second hand I would take every precaution you would normally regardless of who built it initially.

I'm not sure how much motor work he is doing currently. If you have him build you one I wouldn't be in a hurry for it.

I never knew that EA built motors. Im going to have to keep that in mind. If there motors are any thing like there transmissions then they are extremely good.

Lonnie has been a big part of my TSO motor program. He has built many of the top TSM motors in the past. I currently have one of his 109 strokers in my show car. If it is coming from Lonnie you cant go wrong. If you are buying second hand I would take every precaution you would normally regardless of who built it initially.

I'm not sure how much motor work he is doing currently. If you have him build you one I wouldn't be in a hurry for it.

I think he is talking about the one Tom has on here. I know for a fact that no one besides Lonnie has been in that engine. It came in a car that he bought that I was originally working on. Car had a brand new ea 109 in it with with brand new trans. Tom got the car running a couple of months ago. That was the first that engine was ever fired. It was in that 2 tone gray car that was at Lonnies old shop for a bit. Tom sold it as a roller now is selling the drive train to build his s2 for the gn.

Lonnie builds everthing from mild to wild and has been for a long time. One of the best builders in the turbo buick world.

and people wonder why he is sometimes slow at getting things done. he not only builds killer transmissions on his own he is also building motors as well. This is a one man operation.

I think he is talking about the one Tom has on here. I know for a fact that no one besides Lonnie has been in that engine. It came in a car that he bought that I was originally working on. Car had a brand new ea 109 in it with with brand new trans. Tom got the car running a couple of months ago. That was the first that engine was ever fired. It was in that 2 tone gray car that was at Lonnies old shop for a bit. Tom sold it as a roller now is selling the drive train to build his s2 for the gn.

Yes that is the motor that I am talking about, but I am a bit worried about buying a used motor off somebody that I don't know. You see, it will be the third time in a row that I have to take my motor out because no local machine shops knows how to build one of these motors right. So I really have to think it over before buying a used motor because if that one doesn't go right I will just go crazy and chances are that my wife is going to want a devorce. So far 2 motors and about 650 miles, get the picture. Kevin do you think the short block on this motor could take me in the low tens and high nines? How well do you know Tom and is he someone that I could trust?
Its good to know that EA builds good motors and that you are on the fifth season with your motor running nines.

Thanks for everyones opions.
Marco

T-Top 86 Grand Nationals (63000km) 109 block with weisco forged pistons and 2 billet center main caps, M&A aluminum heads, roller rockers, port match lower intake ,te63 a.r .82, erson 214/214 cam, razor alky injection, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, kenne bell headers, 60 lbs injectors, extender alky chip with 21/19 timing, with a gen 2 with a LS1 maf,thdp, mease 24 row IC, PTC 3200 stall 9 1/2 convertor, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/60/15) , rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms, Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83
MPH=105.2 (letting off the gas, car was running to lean, double pumper for next year)

Tom is a good friend of mine. He lives 10 minutes away. He has sold a bunch of stuff on here. I know this engine well.
Here's the story if you want it.
A guy I knew went to Lonnie for a new engine and trans. I was going to be the one to put the car together for him after Lonnie finished both items. After Lonnie finished his end, I put the new engine and trans in the car. Brought the car from Lonnies shop to my house on my trailer. At this time the owner of the car ran into some money issues. The car sat at my house not running for a bit. Tom ended up buying the whole project from the owner and towed the car from my house to his. He then got the car running about 2 months ago. We took it to the local track once or twice and put some easy 11 sec passes on it with a 60 turbo. I know he drove the car for a month putting some break in miles on the drive train. Its a healthy engine that will do low 10s high 9s easy with the right turbo and tuning. A 70 or 67 would be my choice for this engine. Its a brand new engine imo that has been tested and definitely not pushed hard yet.

EA motors

You cant go wrong with one of Lonnie's motors if you can get your hands on one.

This was my first experience in doing business with Lonnie as I was having him build me a set of TA heads and then discovered that I had an oil pressure problem that resulted in a new motor. Lonnie and I discussed several options on the build up of the new motor and planned to have the car up and going in time for Bowling Green.

I decided to have Lonnie build a 109 249 cid stroker with a CAT crank, stock main caps with girdle and Diamond pistons. The only thing reusable out of my old motor was my billet cam and Oliver rods.

Everyone knows theres always a delay in any large scale project and needless to say the machine work was not going to be done in time for Lonnie to build it and ship it to me for installation in Dallas. Lonnie took time out of his busy day and worked at the machine shop to ensure all the machining was completed.

While Lonnie was working on the machine work, I was trailering the car 17 hours from Dallas to Cincinnati to help Lonnie build the motor. Lonnie and I started assembling the short block and he was very meticulous during the entire assembly of blueprinting and file fitting every bearing and ring clearance.

When it was all said and done, the 3rd pass in Bowling Green resulted in my first 9 second pass of 9.81 @ 136 at 25psi and an all time best of 9.71 @ 140 at 28 psi. We changed the cam out a year later as my old billet cam was spec'd for iron heads. We had minimal run time with the new cam and so far ran a 138 to 140 mph @ 20 to 22psi. The ET was way off as I spun with a 60ft of 1.55. We are expecting 9.30's at 146 once the boost is turned back up.

Just to give you an idea of 3 years of abuse, all clearances and components looked brand new when Lonnie rebuilt it this year due to my lack of winterizing the car a couple years ago resulting in a freeze plug popping out.

Lonnie is a gentleman and a man of scholar with his products and support.

Thanks
John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
9.71 @ 140

I recently purchased a motor from Tom, it was exactly what he said it was after I tore it down completely to verify. He never steered me wrong and He is a stand up gentleman. I would not hesitate to buy again.

There is no doubt that Lonnie build great motors and trans A great guy in my book.

Thanks
Bill

I am debating between 2 motors for sale, Tom's EA motor and another motor built by weber 245 stroker. The engine has less than 1500 miles on it, and 9 1/4 mile passes. The car ran low 10's last year on 21 psi (6 passes), and high 9's this year on 23psi (3 passes). The engine has only seen 110 on the street, and Q16 at the track.
The engine has:
3.55" steel crank
Wiseco pistons
6" connecting rods
RJC girdle
9.507 deck height
Balancer and flexplate
Head studs for GN1 heads
Coated bearings

What I like about the weber motor is that it has proven to be able to go into the nines but I don't know the seller as well (Forcefed3.8's his name on this board). The EA motor has only run low elevens and hasn't proved to be capable of running high nines compared to the weber. I know you guys are telling me that EA builds good motors that should run low tens to high nines, but this one hasn't done it yet. By the way I am not looking into buying the longblocks for either motor, just the short block.

What is your opions on which motor should I go for?

Thanks for everyones opions.
Marco

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83

I've never heard anything but good about weber. That said I would buy the EA motor for a few reasons.

1. I've dealt with Lonnie and he's one of a kind. Just a really remarkable guy.
2. After using Lonnie's trans I feel comfortable saying if Lonnie built it, it's right.
3. All things being equal a well built short block is a well build short block. The stuff you put on it and the tune is what's going to make it go and the EA short block (from the sound of it) hasn't been pushed as hard as the weber. In my mind that's a good thing If I'm buying a used engine.
4. See number one.

I am still interested in the EA motor but whats been bothering me alot is the fact that the motor has probe pistons. Spoke to Lonnie and told me they are comparable to trw pistons. I agree that trw pistons are not bad because I have seen those piston go through ruff rides and have taken the beatings. But when it comes to the probe pistons, two of my friends had those pistons in their cars and they both had bad luck with them. The two cars I am talking about are not turbo buicks, one is a 347 ford stroker in a mustang and the other was in a 68 chevelle with a 383 stroker both with blowers. I did a search on these pistons but didn't find much info, to see how fast guys have gone with these and how reliable they are on our turbo buicks.

Thanks,
Marco

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83

How much is this motor Tom is selling if you don't buy it I will just sayin I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy Lonnie's built engine I've seen two of Lonnie's engine and trans combos run and they Are quick and reliable

Well Kevin I will just have to have Lonnie build me one then after he delivers what he is building for me now thanks should have looked at the date of the post doh

Ive dealt with Weber and Lonnie. The only bad thing I can say about Lonnie is he's slow but so is everyone that works on these cars. There's always stuff that comes up. We had Weber build a TSM engine for us, I dont know where it is and its never been fired up as far as I know but THAT engine is sick.