You can type here any text you want

How hard is trans brake on stock axles???

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Hey Guys,
Getting ready to do my new tranny. Vince Janis is building me a Stage 2 with the mech trans brake. I have a PAT'S 10" 3200 Lock up convertor for it. How long will my stock axles last with MT ET street 275/60-15's??? My engine combo is in my sig as well as the rest of my suspension.

Just wondering,
Coach

Not Long!! I guess the diff is stock as well. Likely something will give up quick. IMO if going to a transbrake, it is smart to look at every component of drive train from tranny back. It is possible for something to give up in the rear and cause damage as far back as the engine (thrust bearings, or so I have been told).

Don't worry if there are any weak links the brake will find them!!! :eek:

Hey Guys,
Getting ready to do my new tranny. Vince Janis is building me a Stage 2 with the mech trans brake. I have a PAT'S 10" 3200 Lock up convertor for it. How long will my stock axles last with MT ET street 275/60-15's??? My engine combo is in my sig as well as the rest of my suspension.

Just wondering,
Coach

IMHO...it depends on how well your combo works together....and how much boost (torque) you are planting to the rear wheels.

In general....I don't think you will be making enough power to break those axles with the 49 turbo.......however......if you are really hitting it hard.....and everything is right......you might have enough to hurt the axles....if it wheelhops or something on take-off.

IMHO....if the axles have had a hard life....they might break on the next launch.....but if you don't wheelhop......they ought to be "ok" down into the low to mid 1.50's on the 60'.........once you get that fast..... they will likely give trouble at some point.

I say.... let her rip!

Please don’t quote me on this but I heard they will not last very long, especially with the hit of the brake. I went ahead and upgraded mine before I had the stage 2 w/brake because I’m sure they would have given up soon and I did not want them giving up on me at the track. The last time I went to the track, I witnessed a guy snap his stock axles and he was leaving with the foot brake. :eek:

Save yourself the fear and slip in a good set. They are not that expensive.

Coach, that varies on how well the car hooks. 1.50 and better, i would look at a Eaton Posi and 30 spline axles.

Id bet they would fail soon even if the car only was capable of mid 1.60's if the brake was used every time. Upgrade or bring spares

One good launch off the brake and they will snap.. I snaped mine leaving off the foot brake. I was going 1.60 and when it snaped I left alittle harder. Probley a good 1.5* 60 foot

better yet,would it be safe for guys that are using stock axles and running mid 11's and up to keep the boost under 10 lb leaving off the foot brake only?

If/when the axle breaks and comes out of the hsg, you can plan on a qtr panel replacement.. or more...
Aftermkt axles AND c-clip eliminators are a must.

I am going 9 inch.

Hey Guys,
I figured it out and I already have a 9 inch Traction Loc center section with 3:45.1 gears in it. I am going to get a housing set up for G body and then buy a set of Strange axles. It will be cheaper than buying axles, posi, gears, girdle, c-clip elim kit, and so on. I just have to get the brackets for my new HR bar to fit the 9 inch housing. I am going to do this during the winter, so I will not launch off the trans brake until all is ready.

Thanks
Coach

Get a housing from a dirt track suplier Coach. It will fit better than the others. I know the "gurus" may say otherwise but they have been at it longer and make some real good parts for metrics. I've seen fit problems with the drag parts supliers but never with the dirt car parts.

Back