How Much Hp Can A Stock Block Take

They split up the number 3 main saddle to the cam bearing journal. The number seems to be 5.90's in the eighth. After one pass in the 5.80's they break. Ask Dusty Bradford.

I ve read up to 550 hp on stock internals without mods.

Its been as fast as 134mph in a full weight car. About 700 hp. A grenade with the pin pulled if you ask me.

I think we won't ever know for sure, unless a 109 outlaw class was made & the guys that have really pushed the 109 are always tight lipped about hp capabilities of the 109. Just my $0.02.

You know it's in the same department as muffler bearings. :D Sorry it should say rod bolts. Blonde moment. :D

Don't worry Doug your car's performance speaks for it's self.
Things might be better off that way LOL...
Just kidding, love the car!

We have a local that went 9.68 with billet main caps. ARP main studs and
ARP "piston bolts"

however, at that HP level it's just a matter of time before

14697d1151783821-some-cool-carnage-pics-my-motor-oilpan2.jpg

Damn, that's a sick sight. :eek:

They split up the number 3 main saddle to the cam bearing journal. The number seems to be 5.90's in the eighth. After one pass in the 5.80's they break. Ask Dusty Bradford.

We know how far they'll go and don't mind sharing the info.

With a stock crank, rods, TRW pistons and girdle the car ran 6.2's at 114 and 9.60's at 138 with no failure's with this combo for 1 year of racing.

Went to a stroker motor with the same block but with some suspension work. It eventually went 6 teens at 115 and 9.50's at 140-142 with no failures. Made a few changes and then dropped into the 6.05-6.08's and ran the car 1/8 mile for about a year. It had more power left so we set sights on the TSM record. After 4 passes in the 5.90's at 117 it split the block between the main and cam journals. This is high 9.2's at 145 or so.

If you stick to the 6.05-6.15's and 9.40's or so it'll live for a while. Push it into the 5.9/9.20's and it's roulette with a revolver.

Thanx 4 sharing...

With a stock crank, rods, TRW pistons and girdle the car ran 6.2's at 114 and 9.60's at 138 with no failure's with this combo for 1 year of racing.

Went to a stroker motor with the same block but with some suspension work. It eventually went 6 teens at 115 and 9.50's at 140-142 with no failures. Made a few changes and then dropped into the 6.05-6.08's and ran the car 1/8 mile for about a year. It had more power left so we set sights on the TSM record. After 4 passes in the 5.90's at 117 it split the block between the main and cam journals. This is high 9.2's at 145 or so.

If you stick to the 6.05-6.15's and 9.40's or so it'll live for a while. Push it into the 5.9/9.20's and it's roulette with a revolver.

Thanx for sharing that valuble info Dusty. Did u guys see any knock on those passes ? Was this block filled ?Thanx

Thanks for the info Dusty.. Ill let Melissa and Russ in on it to.. It will give her something to shoot for :eek: :p Dammmm thats flying !!!

What a sport u are !

No knock. Block was filled.

Thanx 4 sharing Dusty, I quess we have a very limited window for our cars. That sucks ! :mad: Sometimes feel like switching to an import...:mad: Some locals are making over 900 whp safely on stock blocks & heads !! on a freaking 4 cylinder. I didn't say stock internals, said stock heads & blocks. Really gets me mad sometimes & makes me think buicks suck.

Thanx 4 sharing Dusty, I quess we have a very limited window for our cars. That sucks ! :mad: Sometimes feel like switching to an import...:mad: Some locals are making over 900 whp safely on stock blocks & heads !! on a freaking 4 cylinder. I didn't say stock internals, said stock heads & blocks. Really gets me mad sometimes & makes me think buicks suck.

I hear ya. Considering these V6's were designed nearly 20 years ago to carry grandma to the grocery store and have them be able to take a 3500# car into the 9.4's consistently is impressive. There are weaknesses in the design that limit hp capability.

Technology has come so far that modern day blocks and heads like the inline 4's and 6's and even the ecotec GM motor can routinely make over 1000hp. The Supra being in a class of it's own at nearly 2000hp.

Most of the imports i see making those numbers need a lot of N2O to spool the huge turbos they run and are pigs without the bottle. Ive seen 42-76 on a friggin 2.0 liter. I truly dont see too many that can run like a Buick when $8-10k is thrown at them. It takes mega $ to get the 900whp just like the TSM engines that make the big power. The large mains and OHC design make them much better engines for making more hp but not necessarily useabe hp to most. The best deal going imo is the larger displacement LSx built around a high boost application. Ill do it someday. $ to hp is unparalled when using one of those as a basis for a turbo engine. Thats where the OHV engines really kick a$$. 1000+hp on 93 octane and no alky injection.

A bone stock 109 is safe to run 125 mph in a full weight car. Any faster than that and it's a matter of time IMO.

Dusty, I guess we'll find out the limits of the PTC 10" next week.;)
See you there!

I hear ya. Considering these V6's were designed nearly 20 years ago to carry grandma to the grocery store and have them be able to take a 3500# car into the 9.4's consistently is impressive. There are weaknesses in the design that limit hp capability.

Technology has come so far that modern day blocks and heads like the inline 4's and 6's and even the ecotec GM motor can routinely make over 1000hp. The Supra being in a class of it's own at nearly 2000hp.

I have thought about this (probably selfcomforting myself :rolleyes: ), the LC2 is an old design & considering the hp it can put out it's not really all that bad. About the 2JZGTTE I agree with u Dusty, it's totally unreal.

Most of the imports i see making those numbers need a lot of N2O to spool the huge turbos they run and are pigs without the bottle. Ive seen 42-76 on a friggin 2.0 liter. I truly dont see too many that can run like a Buick when $8-10k is thrown at them. It takes mega $ to get the 900whp just like the TSM engines that make the big power. The large mains and OHC design make them much better engines for making more hp but not necessarily useabe hp to most. The best deal going imo is the larger displacement LSx built around a high boost application. Ill do it someday. $ to hp is unparalled when using one of those as a basis for a turbo engine. Thats where the OHV engines really kick a$$. 1000+hp on 93 octane and no alky injection.

Totally agree with u on the turbo LSX build, might be the best way to go. Screw the S2 if I ever decide to step up from the 109.:mad:

A bone stock 109 is safe to run 125 mph in a full weight car. Any faster than that and it's a matter of time IMO.

Dusty, I guess we'll find out the limits of the PTC 10" next week.;)
See you there!

I'm packing the coolers already:biggrin:

Don't worry Doug your car's performance speaks for it's self.
Things might be better off that way LOL...
Just kidding, love the car!

Thanks John, You gotta love dyslexia with a touch of ADHD!!! :D It can make for some interesting conversations and posts!!! :D

I may be turning the wick up on Old Reliable. A buddy is willing to let me borrow his PT67. Hopefully I will get Bill do his magic and we will see!!! Hopefully 9's with two car seats in back!!! :cool: