You can type here any text you want

How much knock is too much!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86TType

Slick 86 T-type
I was wondering how much knock is too much knock. Today i drove my t-type i got on it a few times and on my scanmaster it jumped up to 6.9 then back down is that too much or ok ????

Too much! Most try to get it to zero- but then how do you know you're "close enough"? Two or three is a better limit.

Ive hit 9.8, so dont feel too bad, others have hit 20+ but then that was headgasket time. turn down the boost to get rid of knock, what are you running now?

Less boost
More (higher ocatane) fuel

If you break it down and want to get anal, you really shouldnt have any knock

I have a Red Armstrong 93 chip and im still running the stock turbo and right now im running between 14 to 15psi..........on 93 pump gas

I would get a Thrasher or Turbotweak chip if you are running stock injectors.

you don't show if you have an upgraded fuel system? the stock pump may be getting weak, and you may be leaning out in the upper rpm's causing the knock. if you are running a 340 or xp, then I would recommend an alchy kit. you would even be able to run much higher boost w/o the knock on 93. :cool:

How can i tell if i got an aftermarket feul pump or not? The guy i bought it from had it rebuilt by some buick guyz and he really didnt know nothin bout the car so i know of the stuff i can see is stock but like the fuel pump i dont know i know that i got the fuel gauge under the hood though...

ES1 said:
I would get a Thrasher or Turbotweak chip if you are running stock injectors.

Id stick with the TT chip. thrashers give you a false illusion for some reason. I always thought mine felt fast with it but after putting it in a friends car he ran a 14.8.... changed nothing but chip on the same night (old conelys mini-mag) and it ran a 14.0.
Knock on the initial hit where it downshifts hard is pretty common, if the 02s are good and the knock goes away the next frame then chances are it was false due to the hard downshift. I let out after i see 3* or so. Knock can happen fast and it can escalate to a bad level in a split second.

GNguy said:
Ive hit 9.8, so dont feel too bad, others have hit 20+ but then that was headgasket time. turn down the boost to get rid of knock, what are you running now?
Ive been down this road . Hit 20+ knock @21psi on pump gas.And oh yes the head gasket was not happy . :mad: With some more tuning i was happy with 18psi with 0to0.5 of knock @ 3to4 on a shift

I believe the answer is: It depends. A stock engine will last a long long time, even knocking but lots of mods and near 2X the power of a stock engine will cause some damage after some time

When I first got my car, new in July 1986, I knew next to nothing about turbos and could not figure out why it would not go faster as I kept raising the boost. The car was all stock except for a HyperTech stage 3 chip that called for 160* stat, no cat, and a K&N air cleaner = 13.50's @ 105 and about 16/17 PSI.

More boost did not help one bit. I did not have a scan tool so I do not know how bad I was knocking it, but I think it is safe to say that at about 20 to 21 PSI with a stock engine and 93 octane, I was knocking the hell out of it!

Now at the mid 90's and a tired old engine with plenty of oil in the lines; the wastegate hose kept blowing off. That made the boost gauge go nuts! Had to be about 30 PSI or more. Now I know that was knocking off the scale!

With all that knocking for over 200K miles and there was no knock related damage. I gained much faith in the KR system in the car.

Enter a large warehouse and company car = time to go thru the engine and crank it up! Also enter the internet and resources like this MB and scan tool. A few more years and more knowledge and it was clear as to why I was not going faster in the old days.

My experience has shown that at near stock power levels, the computer will kill the knock sufficiently to not cause problems for the engine. I also believe that at the power level it takes to run 117 MPH, knock can do some damage over time

86TType said:
I was wondering how much knock is too much knock. Today i drove my t-type i got on it a few times and on my scanmaster it jumped up to 6.9 then back down is that too much or ok ????

I read the thread, you might want to check your fuel pressure. Do you have a stock uncrushed fuel pressure regulator or do you have a adjustable?

You ought to turn the fuel pressure up 1 or 2 psi. What was the temperature out?
You can easily turn the fuel pressure up(but not back down) by taking a 9 1/16 socket and smack the top of your fuel pressure regualtor...
I believe reds chip has 23°-24° degrees of timing, might be too much for your octane.
Zero knock is best.
BW

I've never been able to run over 17*-18*on 93octane.I had a casper ultra chip that i couldn't run run in the 4 setting w/o running a c16 mix .don't know if it was my comdo or what.With the price of gas @ racefuel these days i want to run on pump gas as much as possable.

I think it takes a good combination of parts to keep the KR down while making some power on pump gas. So far, I'm able to run 20-21 psi with the most 0.7 kr I have seen when the converter locks at 80-85 mph. I'm sure the efficient turbo, front mount, 17 degrees of timing & O2s in the 830-850s are making it possible. I can't wait to hook up the wideband to see what A:F I'm actually running to do it. I'm guessing low 12s/high 11s, but I could be wrong.

Quick 6 why cant i turn it up but not back down i got a fewl pressure gauge under the hood i will check it out and see how much im running.....I dunno where the regulator is im new to the turbo 6 motor but i need some tuning and im tryin my best to get it tuned to performance .......

Its kind of a red neck way to up your fuel pressure if you dont have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
By crushing it, you increase the fuel pressure.

Let us know what yours looks like..
Here is a horrible picture of what one is and where it goes, to check your fuel pressure, start the car and take the rubber hose off the top to find the base fuel pressure.
BW

Attachments

• 100_3184 (Small).jpg
    100_3184 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 191
Back