You can type here any text you want

How much more in my combo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mojilla

I was just wondering how much more I have left in my combo?Before I should buy some other parts, such as cam, intercooler, throttle body.
I have thdp with dump, pt-51, walbro 340, msd 50's, vigilanty 3000 stall with rebuilt trans.
My best et to date is 11.5@117.6 mph with 1.61 60 foot time.
I have et streets and pass side air bag. I am running 25 pounds of boost, 26 degrees of timing, with c-16 fuel. How much more is there to tune out of my current combo?
THANKS
Joe

Welcome to my world :)

I do it on alky..your 2 tenths faster due to the higher timing at launch.

It may be the turbo is losing efficiency??

Doubt it, I went 121 and my buddy went 124 with the 51, although he has GN1s and a 206/206.

Move to Mryland.its an easy 5 MPH and .5 second et :D

Precision says 28 is the upper limit of the 51. So my thinking is that 25-26 after IC is pretty much it. My intake temps go to 170 at 26 PSI. I'm trying the 54 to see if those temps come down.. i'll see in a couple days.

And Mike.. I got POSI again :) :) :) no howl ..I dont want to race it..its so nice without the you know what sound :)

Originally posted by Razor
Move to Mryland.its an easy 5 MPH and .5 second et :D
We're just better drivers than you Florida guys :D

I went 121 so far as a best with the 51. Hopefully I'll get back there and run Mike like times :)

Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if I should just hold off on any other purchases, and get the motor freshened up?
There is 113,500 on the motor. It is still running really good, but am I pushing this motor to hard for the milage?
Thanks
Joe

How stock is you motor? Chain/springs? You have the exact same combo that I'm building. The only difference is I'm doing it on a perfect running stone stock 144k TTA :eek: Springs/chain/oilpump before I install any of the parts that are sitting around the house. We'll see how long that last!

Originally posted by mojilla
Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if I should just hold off on any other purchases, and get the motor freshened up?
There is 113,500 on the motor. It is still running really good, but am I pushing this motor to hard for the milage?
Thanks
Joe

Well..if its got oil pressure and no blow by.. fugedaboutit?

If it aint broke..dont fix it. :)

Nickel blocks wear slow..

JCSTTA,
My valve springs have about 5,000 miles on them, and the timing chain is stock. I am going to change the timing chain soon.
If you are looking for a good race chip, go to TurboTweak.
I asked for a race chip to use with c16 fuel. The chip he made is great. My car spools awsome compared to the other chip I had.
The chip has 26 degrees of timing and 26 pounds of boost.

Man I wish I wasnt so damn lazy! You guys are all out at the tracks having fun and my beater is still sitting up on jack stands! I did find out that I had my rear drum brakes set way to tight on my damn car!

I was just wondering how much more I have left in my combo?Before I should buy some other parts, such as cam, intercooler, throttle body.

I say why worry about maxing out a set up? I figure it cost me over $200 every time I go to the track. Plus its hard for me to make the time to go. So I will change a part long before I MAX it out. I say if you think a parts holding you back then change it if you want. If you had a GN I would be screaming for you to put some kind of upgraded IC in your car. Since you have a TTA the IC options kind of suck. If you did upgrade your IC you would see a gain.

HTH: Jason

Almost forgot.

Your times seam to be in the range of "you know what your doing". Lot of guys out there with more radical set ups that arent running that fast, and maybe a few who went faster with the same or less. I would give you an "A" or an "A+" on your runs with those parts. Your running a high mileage stock long block; your in the mid 11's, your running dot's, your launching good; she's still in one piece.

The biggest problem your going to have with any future upgrades is trying to get bang for the buck. It isnt really going to happen. The faster you go the less gain you'll get from an extra 20hp. Plus the more power you make the harder and more expensive it gets to make an extra 20hp. PLUS you get to a point where you have to change multiple parts to so the you can take advanatge of the one part you really wanted to change.(example: would you really see much of a gain buy changing the cam w/o porting the heads and intake? and when thats done the 50's and the 340 may not be enough ect....)

HTH: Jason

I think the natural chain of progression is to do heads and cam to increase the airflow through the motor thus reducing the boost level and make the same power. The stress on the bottom end is the eventual problem of running a car on the edge..it does take its toll over time..knock or not..

With a really nice set of heads and cam should drop your boost 4-6 PSI at the same power level..the octane requirement will still be there, but a lower boost number the turbo will be happier.

My buddy Bob ran 11.9 at 114 with my stock turbo at 16 PSI boost..talk bout heads and cam.

Hey its math..either increase the airflow, or increase the boost. Once your turbo is maxed out..what ya gonna do..bigger turbo needs bigger converter..which brings the rpm range up..and the stock cam is no longer effective.

Only way to make more power.

Cam only goes so far..but every little bit adds up.

So on a stock long block..unless conditions are pristine..rite moment, rite air, rite time..your looking at 2-3 tenths off your best.

My .02

Just wondering if anybody knows of a shop that does tta or national heads? Or if they make a set of aftermarket heads for the tta? What kind of money would it cost me? If I do plan on doing the heads would it be worth it for me to freshen up the motor because I will have most of it taken apart. I am just trying to get ideas for winter. I would like to put a roller cam in, but is worth the money?
thanks
Joe

There aren't any aftermarket TTA made. Why would someone make aftermarket heads for an engine they only made 1555 of. Granted there are tons of NA FWD cars out there using the same heads but they aren't performance cars and nobody is modifying them.

You could always get a set from a salvage yard and port the hell out of them and save your originals.

As for the roller cam, it probably won't be worth the money spent as it will cost you over $2000 and the real gains in power will be at higher RPM's than you will want to run a stock bottom end at. Best Bang for the Buck would be a larger flat tappet cam.

As for "freshening up the engine" I am assuming you are refering to replacing the bearings, rings, timing chain etc.. It never hurts to do that and it is best to do it while the engine is torn apart as it will save alot of work in the long run.

A good set of ported stock heads will be the biggest gain using what you already have.

Back