How much power does Nitrous really add?

Sal Lubrano

OK. This is a beginner question for the Nitrous users. I have been using alcohol for many years and lately I have been watching too much of the Fast and Furious movies. I know Nitrous will cool the air charge, add oxygen and assist spooling. Alcohol cools the charge and adds octane. I am not asking about using Nitrous to spool the turbo then turning it off. I am curious how Nitrous stands up against alcohol at WOT. Why is it so big with the imports? Why purchase Nitrous when alcohol can be used? If, I had two stock 3.8 motors. One on Nitrous and the other on alky would one produce more power than the other turning the boost up as far as possible before detonation. I guess my big question is if both motors were pushed as far as they could go, which would come out the winner and by how much? Please explain why.

i got 4 tenths off a 35 shot,same day,same track.it's popular because it raises compression and enables small cubic inch motors with big turbos to get up on boost faster.there is no turbo lag with nitrous.

The nitrous/turbo combination would kill the other, if it didn't blow up first.
Turbocharging and nitrous oxide injection are both considered a power booster (supercharging). A way of craming more oxygen into the cylinder so that more fuel can be burned.
Alcohol is simply a fuel just like gasoline. Alcohol does have some attractive properties, though.
Turbocharging and nitrous would be combining two forms of supercharging. If the proper amount of fuel was added to support the massive amount of extra oxygen, that combination would be hard to beat.

worked fine on stock Buicks back in 86/87 .. Cars ran low 12s/high 11s. Ran it for years . Oh if ya get stupid an play with different things you might blow a head gasket ! Best bang for the $$$ back then.

Its cool but if you plan to play with it now you better be using straight C-16. It can be much less forgiving to a novice that the boost you have on the Buick. I have used it for spool up and loved it. I have used it on SBCs and felt so so about it because low bottle pressure cost me a race one time. I think its a great power adder if you know how to use it

we tried C 16 and the car slowed down. Matter of fact it was a pig= to much octane.

Presently, I'm using enough nitrous per run to get 4 passes out of a 10 pound bottle. And, I only inject the nitrous for 1.8 sec per run.

we tried C 16 and the car slowed down. Matter of fact it was a pig= to much octane.

So, what octane did you use? How much nitrous? The car we had it on used 110oct and it was a blast. It had a chip from a local TR guru. He just said if we intended to spray it keep good fuel in it. I think it was 100 hp through one fogger nozzle in the uppipe. I used a whole bottle in less than three hours. When I got it back to the owner it was empty:p

So, what octane did you use? How much nitrous? The car we had it on used 110oct and it was a blast. It had a chip from a local TR guru. He just said if we intended to spray it keep good fuel in it. I think it was 100 hp through one fogger nozzle in the uppipe. I used a whole bottle in less than three hours. When I got it back to the owner it was empty:p

man come on this was back in 86/87 :eek: I think the stock jets were 42/47. Ran it with the lowest octane race gas .. 107/108.. or "weasel piss" is what I called it. We would go threw 2/3 bottles a week . Sometimes more... ya we had a "filing station" :cool: Messed with a little bigger nozzles in the mid 50s from what I remember. Hell I prob still have those jets in my "junk draw" in the toolbox :p

man come on this was back in 86/87 :eek: I think the stock jets were 42/47. Ran it with the lowest octane race gas .. 107/108.. or "weasel piss" is what I called it. We would go threw 2/3 bottles a week . Sometimes more... ya we had a "filing station" :cool: Messed with a little bigger nozzles in the mid 50s from what I remember. Hell I prob still have those jets in my "junk draw" in the toolbox :p

Do you even remember what you had for breakfast?:p

Do you even remember what you had for breakfast?:p

matter of fact I do !!! I have had the same breakfast for years !!! YES that LONG !! I bet some guys here were even born yet !! They were just a gleam in their fathers eye.
...Last 15 have had the same lunch to unless I wasn't home :rolleyes: Kinda pathetic when ya think of it :biggrin:
..My last 2 dogs have enjoyed those meals to!
... Ok back to the thread. I am doin "House" work here an needed a new door latch so down in the basement I go. YES I have different departments down there!! Car/ Building/ Electrical/Plumbing & Heat...hmmm..almost like a Home Depot :eek: Well just goin threw the box that had latches in them an found a rats nest of wires. Lookin at them like what the hell did I save these for.. They came off my NOS system :rolleyes:

With a 50hp dry shot jet and only 800psi bottle pressure the duty cycle increased 14-17% on a car using six 85lb/hr injectors and a lot of alky. Id estimate the N2O was worth almost 60whp.

With a 50hp dry shot jet and only 800psi bottle pressure the duty cycle increased 14-17% on a car using six 85lb/hr injectors and a lot of alky. Id estimate the N2O was worth almost 60whp.

How much did the boost increase with the nitrous on? Does the boost stay regulated on a car with an electronic boost controller. I thought the added boost was part of the gain in horsepower. I know it added boost on the car I drove. This was before I knew what a scanmaster was too so I have no idea of what it did to the A/F readings. Was the car you mentioned doing ever ran with and without to compare the Et and MPH? Sorry for so many questions...

How much did the boost increase with the nitrous on? Does the boost stay regulated on a car with an electronic boost controller. I thought the added boost was part of the gain in horsepower. I know it added boost on the car I drove. This was before I knew what a scanmaster was too so I have no idea of what it did to the A/F readings. Was the car you mentioned doing ever ran with and without to compare the Et and MPH? Sorry for so many questions...

It did add boost. It was around 26-27psi in 3rd. Never intended to run it like that. I had just got the N2O working and it was supposed to shut off at 20 psi and wasnt. The car was the strongest i ever felt it. It had low 9 sec power for sure. I ran 110/alky. I have xfi on my cars. The car went 80-120mph in about 4 sec.