You can type here any text you want

How To: DIY Alignment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I am ready to align my gn after frame horns have been straightened so i just logged on to get specs. Glad to see the home alignments are occuring here. I had finally had enough when FireProne constanly sent me out the door with bad alignments on my caprice SS. I had theri lifetime aling and they sent it out with toe out, so my new tires had cords showing on inside within 10 k miles. Hmm , was that a mistake? Then i fronted the guy $25.00 and said please do it right, not just toe and go. He did change shims and scratched the fender profusely with his belt! At least he changed shims, but car still drifted on hiway...never again. So about 3 years ago, I bought Longacres 78295 electronic gauge..it is awesome. I think they came out with a way better one a month later. This one has bubbles but the elctronic part slides into the bubble fixture. This , and a set of turntables from Hrbor Freight (Uchina buffett, i call them), and Longacres toe bar, and i couldnt be more happpy. All these years, I wish i had at least known about the toe bar...I find that toe does go out of spec alot, and it does wonders for tire wear to adj once a year or two on my road warriers. It is simp;ly a long slidable bar with 2 pointers. A center mark is is scratched on each tire to use for reference with a scribe they also sell. I think i have about $700.00 in all, and will never go to alignment shop again! Im no sure Harbor sell the tables anymore...the ones i bought sat at store since it was opened until i got them. thjey didnt even know what they were.
Charleif, I am real worried about my frame horn parallelism and asked the shop about that, they didnt know about it. They tram gauged points and i hope that lets other things fall into place, but i never get so lucky. I didnt mention steering axis inclination either. Would you have any tips and can you describe SAI for me? My hunch is it is Ackerman? Thanks

This should help you understand it better than I can explain it. When you measure it on the rack what you prefer to see is an even amount which shows the angles are even. I've seen them as much as 5 degrees of difference in them which is bad. What it usually means is you have some bent parts that need replacing so if you just had the frame straightened it's very possible that you've got other hidden issues going on. Sorry.:(

The steering axis inclination (SAI) is the angle between the centerline of the steering axis and vertical line from center contact area of the tire (as viewed from the front).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius#Steering_axis_inclination

Man , that is some rare stuff. ..thanks. Re issues remaining, I imagine your right, because the obvious things are not right. Just today i see that my pass side horn is back 7/8 more than DS as measured from horn end to the fender end. If they "check" for a diamond, and tram other points, i suppose they think everything else falls into place. Whatever your getting done, people will not really do their jobs.

Charleif,
To my dismay, I measured my centerlink and it is lower by about 1/2" on idler arm side. Or maybe the steering box is hi? I got alittle closer by loosening idler arm and pushing it up while tightening. Now, what is crazy is that the PS fender is higher by an inch compared to DS fender, both measured after the wheel at front.. It seems that measurments further back from the front are better. If measure from ground to the sway bar the sides are almost perfect. Ground to control arms is even as is ground to frame directly behind wheels. Id value your input, thanks.

Charleif,
To my dismay, I measured my centerlink and it is lower by about 1/2" on idler arm side. Or maybe the steering box is hi? I got alittle closer by loosening idler arm and pushing it up while tightening. Now, what is crazy is that the PS fender is higher by an inch compared to DS fender, both measured after the wheel at front.. It seems that measurments further back from the front are better. If measure from ground to the sway bar the sides are almost perfect. Ground to control arms is even as is ground to frame directly behind wheels. Id value your input, thanks.
Been very busy for the last couple of weeks so I haven't had time to answer a bunch of questions.:( It sounds like that the fame may still be out some and there's a thread that way posted in the last few days with the dimetions (sp) that will help you figure that out. All the points to measure from and to are there but if you can't get all of them send me a PM with email info and I'll see about sending you the measurements.:)

Back