How to fix the sagging panels that is located under the dash

GNONYX

For many years of no support, the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel gave it that bow sagging ugly look.
I used a flat steel bar, drilled both ends for existing panel support screws , hole saw for interior light, and then riveted the flat bar to the panel.
I got the 1/8" flat steel bar from home depot, and I did checked out the aluminum flat bar, but it flexed more than steel. If you decided to do this keep in mind to file or grind down both rivet ends close to the existing panel support screws or it will hit the screw bracket.

Attachments

• fuse panel 01.jpg
    fuse panel 01.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 713
  • fuse panel 02.jpg
    fuse panel 02.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 670
  • fuse panel 03.jpg
    fuse panel 03.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 651
  • fuse panel 04.jpg
    fuse panel 04.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 665
hello; Good job but didn't Kirban sell a fiberglass pc. for that purpace? I havn't looked at his catalog in quite a while but he use to have it.
keep up the good work.
IBBY

Thanks for posting this. I had my car for about a year and never noticed the sagging panel. I converted to vacuum brakes and thought I screwed something up when I put this panel back on and saw it sagging!! It's been bugging me ever since and I had the same idea!! Glad to see you followed through with it. Looks good!

Thanks for posting this. I had my car for about a year and never noticed the sagging panel. I converted to vacuum brakes and thought I screwed something up when I put this panel back on and saw it sagging!! It's been bugging me ever since and I had the same idea!! Glad to see you followed through with it. Looks good!

Thanks for the comment
Maybe Kirban might have them, but then again I like to do some work providing I have the tools.
Sometimes even the smallest thing can make you feel good knowing that you can accomplished a job on your car without buying it or having one else doing it for you.

FWIW I did this but I took the strip of metal I used and run it through a panel crimping tool to make it a little stiffer