How to make a fast 355 chevy motor

I ran a 358 in my 92 Z28. It ran a best of 11.85. Had dart II heads, Keith Black pistons, bored, full weight car with NHRA cert 6point bar. It would have been a beast with a turbo. That motor took real abuse when I was in my early 20's.

Its all in the heads and mods to support the heads.

the answer depends on what parts you already have.. sometimes just playing around with the tuning really wakes them up..

I have a 355 with a energizer crane cam a Edelbrock intake 194 heads an 750 holly carb

Limited smallblock

More info...you want help a few words aint gonna cut it.
Base and total advance?
All in by what rpm?
Specs on cam....You put it in straight up?
Vac or mech sec carb?
What series Holley?
Compression ratio?
Rocker arm Ratio?
Exhaust?
How about a pic of the engine in the car?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031136.349475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031155.683577.jpg

I know the cam was put in straight up don't know any thing else

Limited smallblock

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031036.925873.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031036.925873.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 135
  • ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031112.256431.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403031112.256431.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 124
Engine looks like a bit of a basket case....First thing is get a shroud for the fan that will help it run cooler.

IMO since you dont know that much about the engine/tune up or WTH you have.
You are fighting a uphill battle and should start reading some books, etc to learn the ins and outs of how to read plugs, set the timing, change jets, etc.
Then you will have some know how to get the tune up right.
Do you know how to set/check the timing?

I have a tool to set timing so ya I do I'm running auto light 26 spark plugs on accel wires an distributor

Limited smallblock

NOS Super Power Shot with 150HP jets. Fast way to power. Fast way to a rebuild if you tune it wrong.

Almost every NA cam I've ever dealt with wound up advanced a bunch. There's definitely power in an NA engine with the cam setup correctly. What springs are on the heads and installed height? What is the intake and ex events at .050"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 355 with a energizer crane cam a Edelbrock intake 194 heads an 750 holly carb

Limited smallblock

which Energizer cam?
which Edelbrock intake?
which 194 heads? could be anything from camel backs to smog era 882's to a set of Bowties..
which 750 Holley carb? looks like a 3310 from the pic, which is a good all around carb for a 400ish hp 355..

without knowing all that and assuming the carb has the same jets and power valve that it left the factory with, you can get a good general starting point by unhooking your vacuum advance and setting your initial timing at about 18 or so BTDC, then figure out a way to limit the total timing to about 36 or so- i do it by pulling the distributor completely apart and welding up the slots to limit the amount of advance, but there are other ways to do it that aren't so involved.. you might wind up with more or less initial and total timing, but those are good generic starting points for a typical small block.

hook the vacuum advance up to a port that has full manifold vacuum- you want 45-50 degrees of timing at idle, which helps with throttle response and fuel economy.
baseline the carb by backing out the idle speed screw until the throttle blades are fully closed, then putting about a turn of preload on it... gently bottom out the idle mixture screws on the sides of the front metering block and turn them 1.5 turns out.

when you start it, you might need to bump the idle speed up a bit to get your desired idle speed- but don't turn the speed screw too far since you are shooting for the throttle blades to be opened as little as possible at idle..

if everything is in working order, this should make it idle well enough to hook up the vacuum gauge and set the idle mixture screws for max vacuum at idle, preferably with the car in gear.. keep tweaking the screws and backing off the idle speed screw until you can't get it any better- you should have throttle response that rivals any modern efi equipped car once you get it dialed in, which means it will be faster off idle when you mash the gas...

then you can start playing with the secondary spring (get the quick change kit- it's worth it) and accelerator pump cam.

What "tool" do you have to set the timing?
Have you made a trip to the track so get a baseline?
Trans, rearend/gears?
Hot Rods are hot rods, tuning is important on everyone of em if you want it to run well.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app