You can type here any text you want

How to Properly Maintain a Powermaster Brake System

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

t-topflyer

I did a search here and on some other forums and found the powermaster bleeding procedure thread here, which is great very detailed and should be a sticky:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/218912-powermaster-bleeding-procedure.html

However, and this may be a stupid question; I apologize if it is, but I don't really want to bleed the system (unless necessary) I just want to maintain a normally functioning system.

With that in mind, how do you properly maintain a normally functioning powermaster brake system?

Do you need to switch out all the fluid and if so how often? Annually?? every 2, 3, 4 or ? years

What's the easiest and most efficient way to do so?

Is there a certain type of brake fluid that is recommended or one that should absolutely not be used? What about a DOT 5 Silicone Fluid??

Is there a write-up on this site or another that goes into a step by step procedure on how to do this, or is the bleeding procedure thread what should be done each time?

Thanks

Annually. I stand behind that 100%

He means once a year.:biggrin:

You can try DOT 5 but you'll replace the powerbastard faster this way. It doesn't have the lubricity that normal brake fliud does. DOT4 or DOT3 will work fine and it's still fairly cheap.

Always having clean fluid in the system will go a long way towards its longevity. Right or wrong, I too prefer not to go through the hassle of bleeding. Instead, I change the brake fluid every 6 months along with the engine oil using the method below.

I came across RC's method of changing brake fluid and have been following it ever since: Pump down the system, remove the cover, use a turkey baster to remove all the fluid from the entire reservoir, pour in fresh DOT 3 (you can use DOT 4, but don't use DOT 5) to the proper fill levels, then replace the cap making sure that you put the rubber seal on the cover instead of on the reservoir.

Here is the link to RC's method. Scroll down to post #5 http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/274592-draining-powermaster.html

Hope this helps.

He means once a year.:biggrin:

You can try DOT 5 but you'll replace the powerbastard faster this way. It doesn't have the lubricity that normal brake fliud does. DOT4 or DOT3 will work fine and it's still fairly cheap.

Darn Charlie, I had to go back and double check my post for fear that I may have typed analy.

Don't do that....it would hurt like hell.

Always having clean fluid in the system will go a long way towards its longevity. Right or wrong, I too prefer not to go through the hassle of bleeding. Instead, I change the brake fluid every 6 months along with the engine oil using the method below.

I came across RC's method of changing brake fluid and have been following it ever since: Pump down the system, remove the cover, use a turkey baster to remove all the fluid from the entire reservoir, pour in fresh DOT 3 (you can use DOT 4, but don't use DOT 5) to the proper fill levels, then replace the cap making sure that you put the rubber seal on the cover instead of on the reservoir.

Here is the link to RC's method. Scroll down to post #5 http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/274592-draining-powermaster.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks that's what I was looking for

Darn Charlie, I had to go back and double check my post for fear that I may have typed analy.

Don't do that....it would hurt like hell.

Well I guess you got the stripe issue take care of Dan.:eek::biggrin: LMAO Thanks, it's been a long day.:biggrin:

At the store I see Dot 3 or Dot 4 or Dot 3 & 4. The 4 or the combo 3 & 4 are both synthetic while the 3 is available as conventional or synthetic. Any harm in using synthetic fluid such as the Valvoline Dot 3 & 4 combo?

link

I will have to check out that link when I get to a faster computer. I blew a rusty steel line, fixed it, only to have another section start leaking, now when I put in fluid, turn on the key, the fluid comes out between the top of the master cylinder and the gasket and covers the LH side of the motor with brake fluid! This has happened half a dozen times! Is the pump suppose to make the fluid pump from one side of the M/C to the other? Thanks.

I will have to check out that link when I get to a faster computer. I blew a rusty steel line, fixed it, only to have another section start leaking, now when I put in fluid, turn on the key, the fluid comes out between the top of the master cylinder and the gasket and covers the LH side of the motor with brake fluid! This has happened half a dozen times! Is the pump suppose to make the fluid pump from one side of the M/C to the other? Thanks.

Not exactly, the pump pressurizes a portion of the master cylinder closest to the firewall. If you are having fluid spewn all over like it sounds, you don't have a seal seated correctly.

Once you fix the weak part of a system, the next weakest link will appear.
You may want to go back through what you have done.

Back