You can type here any text you want

HOW TO REMOVE /INSTALL REAR SHOCKS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john saleeby

Bought Bilsteins. Could someone please send me a step by step procedure for removing the old and installing the new? Thanks guys in advance. will check my messages soon as am going on vacation for a week re 30 year anniversary. very blessed. see you folks at the Bates car show!!

Since you're using bilstein you'll need to jack the car up high enough so the rear axle will drop all the way down. Put the jack under the pumpkin to lift but put the jack stands under the frame in front of the axle. There are 2 bolts on the top and one on the bottom. The bilstein shocks have the stud attached so it can't be removed so the stud needs to come off the axle. It's easier to do the bolts on the top first to hold the shocks and then do the stud.

Thank you CharlieF1. Do I need to be concerned with the rear springs? Any other free advice to minimize re-work/mistakes?

the cheap Lakewood 50/50 rears help transfer the weight a lot better than the bilsteins

Once you get the frame supported by the stands the axle will be held in place by the bushings and brake hose. If you haven't replaced your brake hose it would be a good idea now since you'll have some room to work on it. If the springs try to drop out don't worry about it, but mark them so that the spot is facing to the rear and you know how they go back in. It can happen if the springs are worn out or dropped springs were installed.

Back