How to spot a real GNX?

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
How can I spot a fake GNX? I know this is an old question. Could not find anything. Is there a VIN verification.

I think these were all the added features exclusive to the GNX. I may have left out some. I think they all started out as fully loaded hardtop GN's. Not sure on the RPO's but Im sure someone here knows for sure.

Dash Plaque
Fender Flares
Fender Louvers
ASC Stickers
GNX emblems
Rear Seat Bracing
Rear Suspension
Rear Differential Cover
GNX Body Bushing
Turbo Charger
Turbo Cover
Different Chip
A pair of new underwear and a box of Kleenex for Vette Owners :biggrin:

The GNX specific code listed on the RPO label (on buttom of trunk lid) is T2L.

GNXRegistry.ORG has plenty of information and if you do not have any luck there there are a few members on here with private lists to verify information. If you have the VIN to a car you can send me a PM or E-mail.

Ident GNX

The quickest giveaway is the rear suspension. This is the hardest to acquire. Then look for the ASCMclaren decal in the doorjam, then to the ASC on the emissions plate under the hood. If it has all three of these then it's most likely real, or a real good fake. Most people that clone don't bother with the little details like the door jam decal or the emissions plate. I have only ever seen one clone or recreation to have al of the details correct on a clone, and the owner never tries to pass it off as real.

This will get you most of the way there. If you are considering purchasing one, definetly send the vin to GNXregisty to confirm.

Ryan... if thats 018 or 180 or whatever the car was you saw... its been seen before and from what I recall, the car is genuine...

I give him props for driving it...

I just wish I could afford one to drive.

Thanks. Just thought every Turbo Buick guy would know everyone else. He looked confused when I asked him questions. Looks like he really drives it....not just a garage queen.

You've mnet some of the Hawaii Guys... but there are a number of TR owners that dont know about TB.com

If anyone is looking to purchase a GNX, Dennis Kirban is the one I would use. I sold a GNX for a friend back in 2005 and the buyer sent Dennis down for the inspection and pick up. He really is a nice guy and knows his GNXs and any turbo regal for that much.

here.

Attachments

• !BiYzLlw!mk~$(KGrHqQOKj!EsnKty84zBLOqfERDL!~~_12.jpg
    !BiYzLlw!mk~$(KGrHqQOKj!EsnKty84zBLOqfERDL!~~_12.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 664
  • !BiYzQUg!2k~$(KGrHqIOKjgEslsEHuSjBLOqfY(uD!~~_12.jpg
    !BiYzQUg!2k~$(KGrHqIOKjgEslsEHuSjBLOqfY(uD!~~_12.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 637
real gnx

when the guy says 100 times a day it is a real gnx it is lol

Usually by the smile on their face.:biggrin:

Its usually in a garage under a cover.....:rolleyes:

Now why would you do something like that?

Of the cars I know of locally, all but one get driven at least once a month if not more...

I can see a unreg'd car w/MSO, never titled, etc, but hell, they werent built to be trailer queens... they were built and advertised as "the Grand National to end all Grand Nationals"

I was of the means to afford one, I'd drive it.:D

Now why would you do something like that?

Because the car is worth more with less miles, and I would say the the majority of them are bought as financial investments not as weekend cruiser cars. If you wanted to weekend cruise the car, buying a GNX really isn't a smart move.

You can buy a real nice GN for 15k put a few thousand in GNX "tribute parts" into it and mods and have a car that will spank a real GNX. And when you take it out of the garage you don't have to worry about de-valueing it with every mile you drive. Oh and you can make/build another two to three cars that will also spank the GNX as well, and have some money left over.

Don't get me wrong GNX onwers, I'm not by any means downing the cars, they are awesome, and I am jealous of you (thats why I have a clone), but as a weekend occasional car, they are a hard case to back up because of their value.

If you're buying a car strictly for the "value" youre not as much an owner as a speculator.

Buy it, drive it, but if its just sitting in a garage with a cover on it then it is nothing more than a trophy.

You could buy a 1/18 scale model and get the same amount of joy if youre never planning on driving it.