You can type here any text you want

How wide of an 18 w/Notch + My GN's Concept Drawing!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Hey guys, I did this concept drawing off of another members car's picture I found on here. Haha I did it all in paint too, no photoshop here. I cant find the thread I found the originally picture in, but if this started out as your car then THANK YOU!

My question is that I finally got my final concept for the car done and I want 18s in the back and 17s out front. I want to run a 27-28in tall 285-315ish wide tire in the back. Im thinking 18x10 or 18x11. I am going to notch the frame to do this, but I was wondering how wide of an 18 can I fit in the rear and get it to set like I have it in the picture? It MUST tuck under the car! The picture does not have GNX flares, but I am not opposed to adding them. I will more than likely notch the car and see if I need to mini tub, and then measure the BS I want. Im not even opposed to narrowing the rear to do it right and get the look I want... This will be my first true custom car, but I am finishing up my second custom bike right now and I need a new project right! :rolleyes:

Feel free to just drop comments on what you think of the concept drawing as well!

Attachments

• Grand National Protoype.JPG
    Grand National Protoype.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,121
Oh and I found the car! It's TKGN1's car... funny thing is, he's only about 3 hours away from me! He's got 17x10s in the back.

Attachments

• GN inspiration.jpg
    GN inspiration.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 494
18 X 10 (11) wheel / 5" back space with a notched frame is about all you can get without mini tub. Maybe you could squeeze another 1/4" -1/2" bs but that would be all.
Dropping it lower would probably require outer wheel well trimming or better yet doing the GNX flare.
With the ride hieght I have the tires rubbed the outer wheel when I first put the wheels on, but have since rolled the lip for clearance.
As for the front, it will be pretty tight getting it that low without bags. My tires have rubbed on the under side of the wheel well on harsh bumps(basically bottoming out), Im just careful now as to road conditions.
You have a cool idea going, a little trimming here and there and I believe you can get the look your want.

Well, I've got an 18x10 with a 5.5" backspace in my car with the car dropped about 1.5". The frame is notched. I'm running a 315/30 out back and the closest the tire gets to the frame is about 3/8". I do have the fender lip rolled as well and the inner fender well (trimmed and rolled). I do have aluminum drums which, I believe, push the wheel out 3/8". Tires tuck the fender lip perfectly! --------------Jeremy

Attachments

• resized1.jpg
    resized1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 413
  • resized2.jpg
    resized2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 422
  • resized 6.jpg
    resized 6.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 433
Yup, im diggin those two cars a lot. Right now I am up in the air about building me an LSX N/A TR clone for a DD, or messing with my GN more. I really enjoy driving my GN as a DD, but I just cant do it to myself to put the miles on it.

I dont want black for a DD that's the only reason I wouldnt do a GN clone. Im thinking Cyber Metallic Gray from the new vettes.

I have GNX flares and went with an 18X10 using a 4.75" BS and a 285/35/18 tire for the rear. I had some slight rub issues, but only on big bumps.

05.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

I have GNX flares and went with an 18X10 using a 4.75" BS and a 285/35/18 tire for the rear. I had some slight rub issues, but only on big bumps.

05.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

I imagine you are have issues with it rubbing the fender lip? Did you roll your fender and remove the screws mounting the trim?

I imagine you are have issues with it rubbing the fender lip? Did you roll your fender and remove the screws mounting the trim?
You are correct. I didn't roll the fenders.

I just put some air bags on the car to help it out. Problem is solved now. :)

By the way, VERY sharp car you've got. I love that wheel/tire/brake combo. :cool:

Well, I've got an 18x10 with a 5.5" backspace in my car with the car dropped about 1.5". The frame is notched. I'm running a 315/30 out back and the closest the tire gets to the frame is about 3/8". I do have the fender lip rolled as well and the inner fender well (trimmed and rolled). I do have aluminum drums which, I believe, push the wheel out 3/8". Tires tuck the fender lip perfectly! --------------Jeremy

Looken sharp Jeremy.

Car is looking good Jeremy.
I got under my car last night and I believe I could go with a 5-1/2" backspace, would be tight but doable. This would allow a little more clearance to the outer wheel well.

Car is looking good Jeremy.
I got under my car last night and I believe I could go with a 5-1/2" backspace, would be tight but doable. This would allow a little more clearance to the outer wheel well.

I dont know if your remember back a few years ago when we talked on the phone about our set ups, I went with the 5.5 becuase I planned to go with FBody rear discs. I was trying to compensate for the extra 3/8" the discs push the wheel out. I thought I read soomewhere that the aluminum drums push the wheel out 3/8" also so I pretty much just measured to where I tought I was going to cut the frame and went to the outside of the drums with the lug nuts tight on the drums. Then I just measure out to the fender lip to try to get an approximate width of tire. Did you trim your inner fender? That was the tricky part for me since we are low. Worked really nice though, I still need to notch the passenger side!

17 X 8 w/ 245/45/17 Nitto 555 tires on front, 17 X 10 w 315/35/17 Nitto 555r on rear

I believe the specs are as follows:
Rear 17 X 10 with 5-1/2" BS
Front 17 X 8 with 4-1/2" bs

The pic you see in my sig. has no frame notch yet (I am doing that now) but I put some temp wheel spacers in it just to make it to the show. I was surprised that the 315's fit (barely) with the right backspacing.

The lips did rub a bit however and would need to be rolled to work but for the show I lived with a little rubbing.

D

Hey TKGNI, what kind of wheels are those? They're very close to the look I've been thinking of recently.

Back