Hydroboost conversion bracket..Now the astrovan unit is a true bolt on!!!!

hello people; I'd like to hear your driving impressions when your done. But my daily driver is a 94 Astro. It needed a Power Steering pump and the shop was telling me how the break system uses the pump in the break system. I wonder if a different pump would also be needed for the conversion?
goodluck
IBBY

no stock pump will work just fine you just run the presure line to the booster instead of the steering box then run a presure line to the steering box from the booster.

hello people; 681ton it sounds like you did the conversion already?
How does it compare to a stock setup? (in feel that is)
IBBY

I havent done it on my GN yet but my 68 burb has it done and my 68 firebird . Ive done sevral of these convertions on 4x4 its the only way to go if you are going to have a tire 35 or bigger. My fire bird had a 427 with a big cam so I had to go to HB to be able to hold it at the track the vacume booter just couldnt hold the car. Under normal driving you wont be able to tell the diffrenc but when at the track or in the croners it makes a big difrence lot less fade the brakes are always there.

My 07 chevy 2500 cargovan has hydroboost from the factory and the brakes will slow you down in a hurry even with 1800lbs in the back!!! I cant wait to get mine done on my car i just got my control arms back from the blaster and painted them yesterday i gotta replace both front steel brake lines(rusted) and put everything back together!!!

View attachment 164500
003.JPG
I know this is an old thread but any updates on mounting the Astro Van HB to the firewall? Hydratech eliminates the factory bracket for the powermaster with the four screws but I would think their bracket would be more expensive. Advance is running a 20% off sale but it ends today. Is Turboc87gn selling these brackets?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
Does the astro unit have the same mounting flange as the stock unit Rick? Since my car already has the hydroboost on it and I'd like to rebuild it, I'm thinking I could get one off a scrap van and adapt it so I've got the accumulator for safety.

Does the astro unit have the same mounting flange as the stock unit Rick? Since my car already has the hydroboost on it and I'd like to rebuild it, I'm thinking I could get one off a scrap van and adapt it so I've got the accumulator for safety.
Charlie I just ordered an Astro unit today from Advance. The original poster or else TexasT would know what the Astro unit looks like. Apparently you have to just bring the Astro unit out from the firewall about an inch for the brake plunger to line up right. I would think a couple long screws with hollow spacers would do the trick. Personally I would feel better with a rebuilt unit than one from a junk yard even though some folks have had issues with Cardone rebuilds. I plan on putting the Hydratech unit on my GN and the Astro unit on my dark red TR. TexasT says the original lines from an 85 GN will work with the Astro unit. At least I think he has the Astro unit.

You have to move it out an inch and a quarter and the hole in the pm bracket is too small for the nut to fit thru plus the two mounting bolts are in a different location.. Spacers wont work without hacking something up plus then you lose the rest of the mounting surface...This is the brakes were talking about so you gotta consider that too you dont want all the pressure of a panic stop places on a couple hollow spacers and the firewall sheetmetal y you think the powermaster sits on its own bracket plus being bolted to the firewall in 4 places......

My bracket works great ive sold a few of them unfortunately my welder friend had the metal cut up for 2 more but couldnt find the time to weld them together he kept saying he would but then never did it ....ill talk to him and see if i buy the metal and pay him in advance if he will put like 5-6 together at once , someone else asked me to locate the number on my astrovan hb so everyone will know which unit fits our powermaster brake pedals without using a bushing on the pedal....

If you make those brakets id be intrested in one. The astro unit has an accumulator right?
Yes (from what I have been read). I ordered mine yesterday (Sunday) from Advance website, got an email a few hours later that it has been shipped.

Local machine shop said they could make me one. We didn't talk price yet. Turboc87gn let us know if you can get more. I would think with our cars getting older, more people will be scrapping their powermasters. Then the choice is vacuum or HB. Cardone has -75 orders...they have 75 orders that they can't fill because they don't have cores. They only rebuild powermasters on a case by case basis if you send they yours to get rebuilt. Same goes for the 84/85 HB unit, per RockAuto website. So I would say the situation is critical.

Local machine shop said they could make me one. We didn't talk price yet. Turboc87gn let us know if you can get more. I would think with our cars getting older, more people will be scrapping their powermasters. Then the choice is vacuum or HB. Cardone has -75 orders...they have 75 orders that they can't fill because they don't have cores. They only rebuild powermasters on a case by case basis if you send they yours to get rebuilt. Same goes for the 84/85 HB unit, per RockAuto website. So I would say the situation is critical.
The core thing must be recent because I bought the 84 hb unit outright from rock auto not too many months ago. Might be time to hit the yards and stock up on some astro van cores.

Hey Turboc87GN (and others) how did you remove the bolt on the HB to mount the bracket? I have been reading and apparently you need a thin walled socket. Kent Moore makes a special one for this. Thanks.

I put the whole thing in a vice clamped the nut with it and spun th hb off to tighten i used an air hammer if ir takin ot off at the yard just undo the four bolts on the mounting plate

As far as the power steering is concerned you dont have to remove the pulley if ur using. An fittings if you have a premade hose idk