You can type here any text you want

i feel like i let the buick comunity down.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Today was not a good day.... for the simple fact,.. i got spanked by a civic.....

Thing looked totaly stock....... I was at 11psi cause of my head gaskets, and tranny, and a blue 00 Si pulled up beside me.

he reved, i looked over and thought "More rice to fry" turns out the rice fried me..... we took off even though i got a good launch, he still pulled at least 5 cars on me,... so i just gave up.....

I got beat by a civic.... i am a disgrace.... *goes out back and shoots self (not really)*

WTF how was i beat by him!?

Sounds like you found an import that wasn't so ricey. There are some import guys out there that build their cars for speed and some who do a darn good job of it. Plus you were running 11psi, apparently have a tranny issue, and no doubt underestimated what he was capable of. TRs aren't the only "sleepers" out there, and sometimes they come in unusual packages.

No shame in getting beat, just watch out when you start assuming someone is an easy target based on appearance, especially when you're not running in top form. So get those issues fixed, tune it up, and go find him again..... :cool:

-Jade

You were beat because your car isn't fast. Owning a TR doesn't automatically make someone fast.

From your sig it appears you are going about the business of going fast the wrong way. Larger than stock turbos and 3200 stall converters are things that go on AFTER you are fast and not before. Putting these things on first is practically a guarantee of frustration and embarassment. If not by civics, then by 5.0's or LT1's.

UNGN....I don't disagree with you, but I'd like to pose this question to you in response to your post. Where does the typical ignorant new GN/T-type owner start off with modding? What is a good first mod...good second mod.....third and so on? Please don't refer me to some web page with guaranteed recipes. I want to hear what works straight from someone. I have an '86 GN with 105k miles with Hooker headers, KB chip and ram air. The car runs and drives like a dream with absolutely ZERO smoke. So, where do I go next?....what's next in line. The car is immaculate: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10223 so no need on cosmetics. I'm open to any sort of suggestion. I guess I thought a new turbo, injectors, boost controller, etc would be some great first mods.......

just poking fun....

you're RIGHT! go shoot yourself! =PpPpPpPpPp',',',',:p

Originally posted by whiplash306
UNGN....I don't disagree with you, but I'd like to pose this question to you in response to your post. Where does the typical ignorant new GN/T-type owner start off with modding? What is a good first mod...good second mod.....third and so on? Please don't refer me to some web page with guaranteed recipes. I want to hear what works straight from someone. I have an '86 GN with 105k miles with Hooker headers, KB chip and ram air. The car runs and drives like a dream with absolutely ZERO smoke. So, where do I go next?....what's next in line. The car is immaculate: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10223 so no need on cosmetics. I'm open to any sort of suggestion. I guess I thought a new turbo, injectors, boost controller, etc would be some great first mods.......

if I were you the best piece of advice I could give you is get the basic supporting mods

did you just get the car?

if you did first thing I would do is

1. upgrade fuel pump
2. get or make an adjustable wastegate
3. the headers are making your car slower, trust me on that, the car would spool alot faster without them unless you are somehow in the 11s
4. get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator
5. get a fuel pressure and boost gauge
6. above all get a scan tool, something as simple as a scanmaster can help more then you would think
7. if I were to do it over again, instead of power mods first I would get the fuel and support I needed for what my goal was and then mod from there on, this way you dont have anything to worry about. this meaning, get the adjustable fuel regulator, injectors for what HP level you want, walbro fuel pump, chip to run the new injectors

Now assuming you just got the car the first things I would do above all those would be the following

1. new spark plugs usually gapped to .035"

2. new plug wires 105K miles takes its toll on wires

3. change fuel filter

4. oil/oil filter change (if you can go to the biggie oil filter)

5. transmission fluid and filter change (type F fluid is usually recommended)

6. rear end fluid change (I had a rear that made some noise, changed it over to 90w 140 fluid and I never heard a squeek from it again

7. with a scanmaster check to see if you have any error codes and address them.

8. I know there is something im missing but after that follow
the new buick owner tips on this page

http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/tech.html

someone went through alot of work and organization and I def thank them very much, (I know its someone on this board) but their site has helped me tons and its got rediculous amounts of info for almost anything about a TR on the planet

hope all this helps and I know its lots of info

but most of the stuff I listed is not suggested, its a must.

WOW, someone is on the Si forum being treated like a God. How embarassing, better luck next time :(

Originally posted by 87grandnational
Today was not a good day.... for the simple fact,.. i got spanked by a civic.....

Thing looked totaly stock....... I was at 11psi cause of my head gaskets, and tranny, and a blue 00 Si pulled up beside me.

he reved, i looked over and thought "More rice to fry" turns out the rice fried me..... we took off even though i got a good launch, he still pulled at least 5 cars on me,... so i just gave up.....

I got beat by a civic.... i am a disgrace.... *goes out back and shoots self (not really)*

WTF how was i beat by him!?

PLEASE do not race anyone till you get your car right!

11 psi, headgaskets, tranny. NO NO NO!

Maybe you should stop racing becuase you have three rae stories in one week and now a broken car!!!!!!

CANT WINEM ALL

:confused: Well it's your own falt. You shouldn't be racing with 11 pounds of boost and expecting to win against anything. Especailly with bad head gaskets. Please get it fixed or have fun getting your ass handed to you on every race.

Re: CANT WINEM ALL

Originally posted by GNS-FLY
:confused: Well it's your own falt. You shouldn't be racing with 11 pounds of boost and expecting to win against anything. Especailly with bad head gaskets. Please get it fixed or have fun getting your ass handed to you on every race.
I second that one!! now you just gave some ricer punk somthing to talk smack about. maby it's a good thing, now he thinks he's bad so now go up against a tuned TR.

don't feel too bad your car isn't at 100% your not going to win every race our cars are 15 plus years old and we can still compete your going to lose some races just not to si civics :D the first mods i would get is a fuel pump walbro 307,gmc sysclone fuel pump,340 whatvever,a good tune up,adjustable wastegate hell u could even make one yourself,and a scan tool.You must get a scan tool.

Fix what is broken first - then mod

You've made a classic TR owner's mistake - thinking that these cars are so bad ass that they will kill anything. Well, they won't - especially on 11 psi, bad head gaskets and what ever else is wrong.

Get everything fixed including changing out the valve springs while you're doing the head gaskets.

Put the adjustable W/G controller on and upgrade the fuel system like was posted before (F/P regulator, bigger pump hotwired, etc), put in the scanmaster and tune, tune tune.

You might still run into the very rare ricer that actually has his act together and who might burn you but I doubt there are many out there. Follow this advice and you'll be very solid low 13's and possibly high 12's with everything else stock.

Knowing what I know now, I would go with Alky the first chance you get - after you've got everything fixed and the fuel system up to snuff.

11 psi will most likely get your ass handed to you just about anywhere, anytime - especially in your current state of tune.

Fix it and they go looking for that SI again. ;)

A few years back i took one for granted my self.
It was a stripped out turbo civic...........i could not hook on the street and the car beat me by about 4 cars.
I found out later it covered the 1/4 in the 140s.
Car currently runs high 8s.
Those Shi''t boxes are super light and with some type of expensive motor make good power.

Too bad buick gns did not weigh 2000 lbs..........i would be in the 8s too!

sorry, i didnt' have a chance to read all the posts...

where was this at?

I have friend that has a newer civic, blue too. it looks 100% stock except for a little drop, i don't know if si's are lowered from the factory, if so it might still be factory height. no stickers on the side, stock size exhaust tip everything loks origional. it does have some aftermarket wheels, but they are far from being ricey, just a nice looking car.

he built the engine up the right way. bored it, stroked it. blanced, blue printed, ported, polished, you name it... it sounds a little tougher than stock (not ricey at all) but you probably wouldnt' notice going down the road.

it has went in the 13's. at 5800 feet thats respectable for any car, much less a 4 cyl. honda.

those are the ones that you shouldnt' feel bad loosing to.

best bet though is just don't race anyone on the street anyways, take it to the track.

Don't feel bad because you lost a race with a hurt motor....Let 'em try ya when you're back at full strength.

Originally posted by 87grandnational
I was at 11psi cause of my head gaskets, and tranny

This sentence right here tells me the race should have never taken place.

Fear not, even a blind squirrel get an acorn. Don't get mad either, fix the beastie and get even.....:cool:

1. Remove cat or gut current cat. (free-$20)
2. Chip ($50?)
3. Downpipe/Good exhaust ($250?)
4. Open element air filter/box ($40?)
5. Adj wastegate rod ($5 - home made)
6. Fuel pump/hotwire ($200?)
7. Adj fuel pressure reg. ($65?)
8. Scan tool. (?)
9. Good tires. ($500 - depending)
10. Race gas. (arm & leg)

Basic changes should be done like heavy duty intercooler hoses, throttle body/turbo (oil vent?) block offs etc...very cheap. Those are called "free" mods. Excuse the terminology innacuracies. It's been a long time since reading up on this.

Remove your intercooler, clean and pressure test it for leaks. Fix the leaks YOU WILL find - very cheap.

With just tires, chip, no cat, downpipe and upped boost with the stock adj wastegate rod I hit high 12's with my 1989 Turbo T/A.

That's like running the 100 yard dash with a sprained ankle.

Whats the deal with the "hotwired" fuel pump. I know putting in a bigger pump is good, but what do you guys mean by "hotwire" I would assume that you are sending more voltage to it to flow past its rating at 12v much like the kenne bell boost-a-pump system? Can someone enlighten me. Thanks.

Back