You can type here any text you want

I found an 82 that doesn't run what do you think??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mrziggy4

I found what could be my first Buick. This is my dream car but I can't afford the one I would like. I just bumped into an add of a guy selling an 82 grandnational t top that does not run. He wants $2000 bucks for it.

My question is what should I look for when I go see this car? Anything in the engine capartment that should be red flag? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

And the condition is???? Why doesn't the engine run? Rod through block, eectrical issues, carb issues? You're a little vauge and condition is the most important thing. The 82 GN was very low production and the turbo version was the lowest production. They're not as desired as the SFI cars but it is the original after all.;)

I just found this post like an hour ago. I cut and pasted the add on here, this is all I know about the car so far. I was planning on check it out tommorow depending on what info I can get. My favorite is the black 87 grandnational I just cant afford one. I bumped into this one while dreaming looking around. I just want to know what to look for in the engine compartment when I check it out.

Also is this car worth buying if it turns over? What do you guys think by looking at this add?

FOR SALE RARE VEHICLE DOES NOT RUN(ONLY 215 MADE) 1982 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL 3.8L TURBO ENGINE ELECTRONIC CARBURETOR. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WITH 71,000 ORIGINAL MILES.VEHICLE FULLY RESTORED IN 1994.ENGINE DOES NOT RUN .FULLY LOADED. COLD A/C, POWER DOORS AND LOCKS, POWER SEATS .THE BODY AND PAINT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, NO RUST. THE INTERIOR IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. REMOVABLE T-TOPS WITH STORAGE BAGS. THIS VEHICLE IS ALL ORIGINAL. VEHICLE IS # 147 OF 215 IN THE NATIONAL BUCIK REGISTRY. VIN # 1G4AK4733CH225004.CLEAN TITLE ON HAND.
GREAT RESTORATION PROJECT $2000.00 OBO ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES

A friend of mine had one. They are pretty cool. The parts for the interior will be very hard to come by. I am probably one of very few people who can say they have sat in one. Hahah! Never did get to drive it though. Sitting in it was cool. :)

Try to get him down if you can. It cant hurt. For the fact that it was such a low prodution car, with good miles. If you want it I'd say go for it. I would buy it for $2000 if I had the room. In the future they will go up in value. Not through the roof....but up for sure! They have a unique look. If you like it, do it. Body work is expensive. rebuilding that motor....if it can be rebuilt is not that bad. The carb rebuild could be costly. I know nothing of carbs on those things, so hopefully somebody with knowledge in that area will chime in. I know bodywork, and that is very expensive. If the body and interior are as he states it sounds like a fair price. Let us know how you make out. If you buy it post picks for us. I would love to see the interior. I havent seen one in years. The seats were quite comfortable, and the dash was pretty cool as well. I really liked the car while my buddy had it. I got to do some work to it as well. Cool cars. Good luck. Your heart will tell you what to do. Thats how you will know it is the car for you. :)

Try to get him down if you can. It cant hurt. For the fact that it was such a low prodution car, with good miles. If you want it I'd say go for it. I would buy it for $2000 if I had the room. In the future they will go up in value. Not through the roof....but up for sure! They have a unique look. If you like it, do it. Body work is expensive. rebuilding that motor....if it can be rebuilt is not that bad. The carb rebuild could be costly. I know nothing of carbs on those things, so hopefully somebody with knowledge in that area will chime in. I know bodywork, and that is very expensive. If the body and interior are as he states it sounds like a fair price. Let us know how you make out. If you buy it post picks for us. I would love to see the interior. I havent seen one in years. The seats were quite comfortable, and the dash was pretty cool as well. I really liked the car while my buddy had it. I got to do some work to it as well. Cool cars. Good luck. Your heart will tell you what to do. Thats how you will know it is the car for you. :)

Interesting find for sure. It's considered a B4black car and we should be able to help you out with it if you get it. I believe there were less than 30 of the 82GN's with the turbo motor so it's super rare. I've got an NA version that I hope to start restoring in the next year.;)

Heres a picture of it

Attachments

• buick.png
    buick.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 193
I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat! Even if the motor is smoked, it's not hard to find another motor and could leave you with the option of doing a nice 4.1 build on it!

Buy it, but see if you can get the price down since it doesn't run. Even if you have to pay full price do it.

How much of the work the car needs can you do yourself? How much money are you willing and ready to spend? There is nothing wrong with continuing to dream while saving up your money for something in better shape. I'm not trying to scare you away from these cars. I love mine! But, I work two jobs and knew coming in that I would have the patience to add to my mechanical knowledge and also have the disposable income to resolve issues that arise. You want to have the car on the street and not in the driveway all the time. The best way to accomplish that is to have a solid mechanical aptitude and funds you can devote to just the car. If you're a novice, like me, then you'd better be prepared to soak in a lot of info and get dirty. Otherwise, your dream could become a nightmare. Once again, I'm not trying to be a downer. You just need to be totally honest with yourself in regard to your know-how coming in and if it's less than immense, get ready to learn and work every free second you have! Best of luck! There's nothing better than a Turbo Regal runnin' balls out!

the body is in excellant condition.....with no bumper fillers.o_O This is a perfect example of why pictures are needed

Thanks everyone for replying unfortunately I got a text this morning from the guy telling me the car sold. :(

My dream car is actually the 87 I guess Ill have to keep waiting.

If it's rapid transit you seek, than you are better off waiting on an 87. The cost will probably be cheaper in the long run, as you would have to replace the drive train, including the 7.5 for an 8.5 rear end.

Awesome find, but would not have been a barn burner unless you converted it to intercooled OR spent tons of time and money just to run what an almost stock intercooled car will run. Rare car, really rare car actually. Makes a GNX look common. Would have been a shame to modify it anyway. So save up your money, grab a common variety intercooled car and ream the crap out of it. Life is too short to own a "shrine".

Awesome find, but would not have been a barn burner unless you converted it to intercooled OR spent tons of time and money just to run what an almost stock intercooled car will run. Rare car, really rare car actually. Makes a GNX look common. Would have been a shame to modify it anyway. So save up your money, grab a common variety intercooled car and ream the crap out of it. Life is too short to own a "shrine".
I can't agree here since a D/T car has gone 11.87 so far and with some of the new tricks we've come up with it is very possible that you may see low 11's or high 10's in the next year or so.;)

I can't agree here since a D/T car has gone 11.87 so far and with some of the new tricks we've come up with it is very possible that you may see low 11's or high 10's in the next year or so.;)
You are leaving out one important bit of info on the 11.87 pass it was on nitrous not turbo alone

Actually you are agreeing with me. The fastest pass of the fastest carb turbo car in existance RAN WHAT AN ALMOST STOCK IC CAR CAN DO.

:)

Hey I like the B4black cars too, I'm not saying they should be crushed.

Back