I got a blow off valve and need....

You can believe what you want, it doesn't matter to me. flowerpower asked a technical question but instead got nothing but opinion...rant rant rant...

since no one else mentioned it, I might as well...the other benefit is that it in some cases it allows you to spool up a bit quicker if you have to feather the gas. since the extra air no longer has to be forced back towards the compressor but ejected instead, the turbo keeps RPMs up more than it would without a bov so once you're foot is back down the boost is right there with you.

Anyone have any cons other than 'it costs money'?

just run it to the top fitting and block the little one off.i have a 50mm tial copy and thats what i would recommend.i also have one of these bovs and mine wouldnt open but like an 1/4th of an inch and it had a little valve in it not sure how efficent this would be so i got the tial like i ran on my vega.i know they work lol.

Ok he got his answer, We go thru this everytime someone ask's about blow-offs.

Blow off valves do help extend the life of a buick turbo, it prevents the air from surging after the throttle blade is shut and slamming into the impeller sending it backwards if not stopping it, this in term creates a lot of tear and wear on the turbo shaft and bearings, IMO any car stick or auto the turbo benefits from it. period..

That looks like a copy of a Greddy Type-R valve. Using the dual vac fittings is a pain in the butt. Use the single nipple and adjust spring accordingly. I prefer the TiaL valve myself but those will work. Once it is in I would set the spring on the tight side otherwise it may leak under high boost.

Another benifit as mentioned above is if your starting to loose traction you can get out of the throttle for a sec and get back into it right away. With a larger turbo it will fall on it's face and take too long to "wick up" again. With a BOV it's almost instant.

I love reading this debate. all I have to say is when you let off manual or automatic the sound you hear is the turbo surging, and anytime there is surge there is a chance of failure. sorry but you have to close the throttle sometime.
as far as I know you only need to hook up tht upper hose, you should be able to get instructions from the greddy site though.
p.s. cant wait for my tial

Get the TiaL with the white spring for 14-17" I have the next one stiffer and it will only open on a hard throttle lift.

first of all only ignorant people will tell you that a bov is a bad thing or an import thing.thats why these buick guys go through turbos like they are oil filters.. they also dont believe in turbo timers .both of these items will extend the life of any turbo car.that turkey gobble sounds is terrible for your turbo.as for the vacum lines on your bov one is a vent ,its the lower one and should not be hooked up at all.its there so the diaphram can get air.so hook up the top one and happy boosting.

first of all only ignorant people will tell you that a bov is a bad thing or an import thing.thats why these buick guys go through turbos like they are oil filters.. they also dont believe in turbo timers .both of these items will extend the life of any turbo car.that turkey gobble sounds is terrible for your turbo.as for the vacum lines on your bov one is a vent ,its the lower one and should not be hooked up at all.its there so the diaphram can get air.so hook up the top one and happy boosting.

What a goober!! :rolleyes:

I'm not the ingnorant one, at least I learned how to spell when in school.

There's still a bunch of us on here that have been running these Buicks for over 20 years now. Quite successfully I might add. Not sure where you get your info, but trying to get away with misinforming people about "how bad our cars eat turbos" is pure BS. And just goes to show what happens when newbie, misinformed youngsters like you that think they know it all start jumping in with crock theories that carry no water.

And I believe that if you'll actually read the posts, I don't remember anyone actually saying they were bad for anything. Just not a necessity.

Then you must be very ignorant.

a) "these buick guys" don't go thru turbos like they are oil filters. I (and Dave, and other) have been around these cars since the 1980s- and there has NEVER been any data to support your statement. Ever heard of the pioneers in the turbo Buick arena- like Duttweiler, Pop Kennedy and Jim Bell? Those guys wickedly abused their TRs in search of wringing every HP out of their cars, and BOVs weren't part of the equation- and neither were failed turbos due to surge.

Nor did the factory EVER have a recall due to compressor failure from turbo surge- and this dates back to 1987 when Buick started their TR program.

b) Turbo timers- best way that HKS/Greddy/Apexi ever developed to get money for a useless product. A turbo timer does about as much good as the row of stickers on the side of a ricer....

I worked for Stillen (Steve Millen) in the mid-late 90s and we did a ton of testing on turbo timers. Bottom line- in the minutes after a hard run, the turbo cools off in normal driving to not warrant such toys. Now, this was back in the day of non-BB center sections- and we never found any excessive coking of the center sections.

But they were awfully good for generating profit......

well the facts are the facts.90 %of buick guys are not running bovs.yet most all car manufacturers that come out with a new model have these in them.so you can keep talking about 1980s technology or you can go read the facts on compressor surge yourself. basically if all you care about is getting to the end of the track faster then dont bother with a bov.but if your car is a daily driver it is better to have one then not since it wont affect anything else.the same goes for a timer.it has no downside or sideaffect so whynot?the principal behind it is proven.but of course that was after 1987

really i cant tell?thats funny to see some dumbass tell me i cant spell while he is making the spelling errors while telling me i cant spell,thats classic buddy .lol

Mark H is selling a kit. He seems to be satified with it. I don't think it's nessasary but it's not going to hurt anything either.
Blow Off Valve Kits

ricer punk ?your a moron plain and simple.and its completely obvious with that previous statement that has no ground.i cant stand ignorant guys like you,always debating import versus domestic,v8 versus v6.its such a waste of time.fast is fast and it doesnt matter if its 4 cylinders or 8.and a nice car is a nice car.bashing people for there preference is pure ignorance old timer.id like to see what you look like when one of those ricer punks that knows what there doing blows the doors off your regal

well the facts are the facts.90 %of buick guys are not running bovs.yet most all car manufacturers that come out with a new model have these in them.so you can keep talking about 1980s technology or you can go read the facts on compressor surge yourself. basically if all you care about is getting to the end of the track faster then dont bother with a bov.but if your car is a daily driver it is better to have one then not since it wont affect anything else.the same goes for a timer.it has no downside or sideaffect so whynot?the principal behind it is proven.but of course that was after 1987

No- as early as 1976, Buick was developing the turbo V6 for Indy racing use...you'd thing they would know a bit more about it that you or I...

There's a pretty large brain trust 'round here that has (collectively) hundreds of years of experience. In short, been there, done that. Don't get your panties in a twist when others, with experience you don't have, chime in on the best (and most economical) way to make these cars go fast.

Search the posts- you'll find guys that have put the very best parts on their cars, and they go slower.....then some wackjob produces a timeslip in the low 11s/high 10s with a basically stock setup and tons off tuning.

A BOV, by its very nature, is designed as a racing product- to keep the turbo spinning at peak efficiency when a MANUAL transmission car is being shifted. Hence, you maximize the performance of the car in a racing environment.

So, you negate your own argument.

I don't agree with you regarding the negative parts of a BOV; these cars are finicky enough, and I question why you'd want to put another part in the chain. As far a timer, you do understand that a turbo is designed to run at high temps, right? And, when you shut off an engine, the temp off the engine will rise due to the lack of coolant circulation- you do understand that principle, right?

Driving the car for 3-5 minutes after a pass does exactly the same thing as a timer.

Here's the thing you obviously don't see- the advice given is based on experience on these cars- not on Hondas or other manual trans cars, or based on some website trying to sell you something.

Lemme see....diesel big rigs- millions of miles, running for years without BOVs or timers.....

ricer punk ?your a moron plain and simple.and its completely obvious with that previous statement that has no ground.i cant stand ignorant guys like you,always debating import versus domestic,v8 versus v6.its such a waste of time.fast is fast and it doesnt matter if its 4 cylinders or 8.and a nice car is a nice car.bashing people for there preference is pure ignorance old timer.id like to see what you look like when one of those ricer punks that knows what there doing blows the doors off your regal

Sell your TR, and go back to ricers....best thing you could do. These same people that you attempt to slam now will be the same guys you're asking for advice when (and not if) you have car problems...

Small community here. Might want to think about that........

FYI, most of the guys here respect (and own) all types of HP making vehicles- it's the punkish attitude displayed that fires us up.

i love the assumption that i dont know anything or that im a honda guy.i dont make assumptions on what you know or dont know.your arguement is good.and your right the bov is mainly for a manual tranny but you still have to get off your throttle in an automatic.as far as the timer goes,yes driving the car for a few minutes after is great but people that drive the car everyday dont have time for that.so the timer is good if maybe your in a hurry to get to work and you drive it real hard on the way,and quickly get out and run into work.in that scenario the timer helps keep the oil circulating for a few.
diesel rigs ?seriously? like they would even know if the turbo was pissing oil into the downpipe.or care.lets not go there