I have a few ?s about TRs

Captain Duckman

1. How is the insurance for your cars? Are you getting molested by your insurance company? Can you state your age as well
  2. I know the 3.8 Series II is reliable, and I would assume the LC2 is pretty reliable as well...but are there any things to look out for in these cars?
  3. What are the differences between GNs and T-types?
  4. I have heard that the 200-4R is strong....then I heard that it was weak....so is it a strong tranny or a weak one?
  5. What's a common price for a TR? They seem pretty damn expensive to me in my area http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...UICK&address=06473&search_type=used&x=43&y=16
    [/list=1]I have the car in my sig, and while I love it, it is slow as all hell...60* V6s should be used as paper weights IMO. I would love to buy a TR, but I am wondering about insurance costs. Every car I want basically has a skyrocket insurance rating for me (perfect record, 19 years old).

Insurance is reasonable for an old guy like me,38.At least in my area CT is prolly higher.For you it would be pretty much the same as any high performance car.
LC2 's can be reliable,there are lots of people using them for daily drivers.Some parts are getting $$ and hard to find.
GNs and TTypes have the same drive train.TTypes came in different colors and GNs have a unique interior only found in GNs and GNXs.
The 200-4r in a GN/TType is strong for a 200.It's not the same as a 200 in a Monte.If you need a rebuild don't trust just any shop to rebuild it.Go see Jack Cotton in Agawam MA.He'll hook you up with an Eric Shertz tranny. ;) :D
I'd have to agree with you,from looking in your Autotrader link.TRs cost too much in your area.You can't get close to that much $$ for them around here.There's an 87 GN around here w/150k miles runs great,new paint,nice interior,asking $5300.If I wasn't building a garage right now I'd prolly own it. :eek: A bit of advise if you find a TR your interested in have a knowledgable TR guy go with you look at the car and see how it runs. ;)

Walmart in Wallingford cruise night on sat. should have one or two there with owners that talk too much about them. :D

Hopefully mine will be clean enough to take this weekend.

2nd and 4th saturdays of the month I think.

Anyway over 40 here and pay $2200 for 2 Turbo Buick cars, not cheap around here in CT.

Tranny can be built to 11 second daily driver for $1200 from Dynotech in Jersey, not really an issue, the stockers are strong at 12 second level as well until you hit high mileage. MHO.

If you can work on a car they are cheap performance cars.

If you can't they are a money pit. :eek:

$6K-$10K should get you a nice driver and there is a big diff. between the 6 and 10. :)

Buy a stock original if you can find one around here.....

Originally posted by salvageV6
Walmart in Wallingford cruise night on sat. should have one or two there with owners that talk too much about them. :D

Hopefully mine will be clean enough to take this weekend.

2nd and 4th saturdays of the month I think.
I've been planning to go to that show for quite sometime, except I have always been busy before. I will be at the next one, probebly hanging around some 4th gen F-body people.

This is my car,most people notice the wheels first :)

28, no points, MI, about 600/year full coverage with 100/50 collision/comp.

Multi car discount (98 jeep costs me about 800/year)