I need help with the "search" feature

RareT

The Thread Freezer
For instance, if I type "slow boost"....I get every single post that has the word SLOW and the word BOOST in it. For the hell of it, I typed "low boost at launch".............yikes

Is there a way that the search feature will only pull up the posts that contain the exact phrase that I type?

Thanks,

Ed

USING SEARCH

You're a wise person to learn & practice using the SEARCH feature! Not many ever do, it seems.

YES, to answer your Q.

Simply join your words with AND...

So, if I wanted to search: ball-bearing turbos
I'd put:

ball-bearing AND turbos <---just like that

in the search feature.

HTH

:)

Yea, I've tried putting the AND in between the words too. I still get posts that only have one of the words that I lised in the search. If I try to refine my search by adding more words...I get even more posts that contain only one of my search words. If I type "low and boost and at and launch" I still get all the posts with the word low, the word boost, the word at, and the word boost in the threads. Is there a way to only get posts that have the phrase "low boost at launch" to come up?

I'm not knocking the searching feature at all, been using it for quite awhile. I was just curious if I can refine it some to narrow down what I'm actually looking for?

Thanks,

ED

For instance.....if we go to the "search by member name" section and we type "Two Lane", we will get all posts that contain the phrase "Two Lane" and not every post that has "Two" in it and every post that has "Lane" in it.

Ed

I jsut tried doing a search for slow AND boost and I came up with posts that contain 'slow' and 'boost'. It didn't matter that I used AND.

The AND searches the thread not a post, so you will get one reply to a post with 'boost' and another reply to the same post with the 'slow'

Try clicking 'search titles only' in the search options. It comes to 3 threads or better yet, search for only 'slow' but use 'search titles only'. You'll come up with "slow spool", "my car is slow", etc. 61 threads.

Originally posted by xrunner123

Try clicking 'search titles only' in the search options.

I'll be damn. You'd think as many times I have been on that search page I would have noticed this. That's what I was looking for!

Thanks

Ed