You can type here any text you want

I think my rear main has finally let go

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott89TTA

I'm getting a good bit of oil on the toque converter cover, oil pan, starter and crossover pipe. After it warms up good it seems to spew the oil out :frown: Wasn't really ready to change the main seal but I guess I don't have much of a choice now. Should I be able to get all the stuff I need at a local auto parts store (NAPA, Autozone, etc.) ? Do I need to ask for anything special?

-Scott

Yeah, just get a fel-pro rear main seal at the parts store. At least you'll get the enjoyment of hearing "5.7 or 5.0?"

It's the same as a grand national's
Better get an oil pan gasket and I would definately get a tap to run through to clean the threads for the rear cap bolts just to make sure things go smoothly. Stock main bolts torque specification is 65 lbft with a light coat of oil. Have fun and good luck!
You should be able to get the seal,pan gasket, and tap for around 20$

I didn't read that guide, but I don't think the downpipe will be a problem.
I wouldn't get too worried about it. I think it will be relatively easy if you have the right tools. You could probably get the whole thing done in an afternoon.

Back