I want to go faster, help please, currently 13.88 at 97

GNregistry

Interested in Going faster, not sure of my limits, other than money...
I may be able to drive to your location for price and quality of work performed, I know of several people that I can think of, that I have met or know of... mechanically speaking... also, should I dump car and use another vehicle or use the vehicle listed below, my hardtop is in excellent body condtion, no rust, NONE, only factor is 90,000 miles, not really interested in roll cage installed, would luv to get into tsm, tso, but dont want to spend the money and I dont want to trailer it, I want daily driver for track, street and show... last pass in 2008 at WIR, low swamp land drag strip, 13.881 @ 97 mph, I was thinking FMIC, MT Drags, HR PartsnStuff, sway bar, upper & lower arms.... not sure I want to go with Alky injection (you know Julio products, kinda bias towards him and/or people I met at GS Nationals, and other events, don cruz engines would be great, but want to keep it within budget and a fun hobby, dont want to be required to find a full time job to support a hobby for 6 months of the year), I dont want break parts with racing weekends, only racing at local events 3 times per year, stage, green light, go... I dont want to buy trailer, truck to tow it...

I WANT TO DRIVE IT, I have a garage queen already, I like the fact that I can drive to walmart, park it, and dont have to be concerned with door dings, when I went to myrtle beach and parked the GN by the hotel/beach, the sand and wind was horrible on the paint and I didnt care... no stress no fuss, just get in and drive!!!!

Also, I am interested in new paint, installing parts to clone it as GNX, this summe for next or maybe not

parts currently installed listed below
87 GN Hard Top: TA 49, XP Plus, Adj FPR, TurboTweak 93 Chip/60# Inj, 160 Thermostat, RJC Powerplate, 3" SS Dual Exhaust, Kirban Brace Kit Pkge, Vacuum Brake Conv., 1988 Keystone Turbo Rims, Cooper Cobra Radials 235/60/15, BEST: 13.881 @ 97 mph, GNX Clone #487, 16x8 GNX rims, vents, fender flares...

I believe with a good tune you should be running 12s easily.
Do you have a scan tool? Do you have a boost gauge?

give us a goal to work with!!! if you install drag radials and a duttneck intercooler you can go 11's with a good tune and alky or racegas already with what you got.

13's with a TA49...you have something seriously wrong there...even with a horrible tune you should be going @least 12's....

13's with a TA49...you have something seriously wrong there...even with a horrible tune you should be going @least 12's....

X2

I went 12.7 all day long with low 20's boost on a 49 & good tires & with a old KB chip & a K&N filter That was about it. Something is WRONG!! This was 92 & I really knew nothing about tuning except what I read.

as for current et/mph = in overdrive, press gas pedal and go, the car was junk when purchased march 2008, added ta 49, 3 inch exhaust, and can buy new tires for drag racing

so I need tune, drag tires, scan, gauges, more boost, better driving / drag racing skills, I woud like to add FMIC, sway bar...

goals, 11's sound great.... not sure I had limits based on current setup, but wanted to add a few more bolt-ons for daily driver, street, drag, show, I do not want to tow it to track.

I wasnt sure where I should be running in 1/4 mile based on setup...

THANK YOU
Brett
920-279-5466

Before you added your turbo, 3inch exhaust and the list of other go-fast goodies...what maintenance have you done to the car?

Spark plugs? What brand? What gap?
How are your sensors? TPS, IAC,how are they?
Ign module, coil pack? Old, new? Brand name?
Radiator? How's your transmission? Filter, Torque Converter?
Plug Wires? Frayed?

Last...where is your scanmaster? I would not even attempt to start the car without that little brain box sitting right in my line of vision...you need that before anything.....

I know adding/throwing parts at it is the quickest way, but usually you have the result that you are getting right now....

This comes before driving skills in my opinion....

Thank You for last post, that is the start coming into 2009, I have a friend, mechanic, we4 owner, tb.com board member currently working on the car, and he may be reading this already or will shortly,

some parts were added, some were not, lots more to do...

no scan tool, no gauges, so that is next to be added... is it possible to get high 10's after I print out this thread and update list for 2009 before spring, thaw I know there were other options prior to throwing parts & money, but last summer I wanted a daily driver, this year, I want more speed power for drag strip, bitten by drag strip... yet want to drive it more, added 5,000 miles last year, and even drove it from WI to NC to GA and back home, how many people drive their 87 Grand National across the US, not many... and I would like to do it again... I really would like to have it ready for May 12 - 16, 2009 GS Nationals....

I WILL TELL YOU ONE THING, MY GN WITH ONLY HOOKERS EXHAUST,CHIP,DRAG RADIALS AND K&N FILTER RAN MID 13'S ALL DAY LONG.MAYBE ITS TIME FOR SOME TUNING TO GET HER DIALED IN:cool:
WITH WHAT YOU HAVE YOU SHOULD BE IN THE 12'

as for current et/mph = in overdrive, press gas pedal and go, the car was junk when purchased march 2008, added ta 49, 3 inch exhaust, and can buy new tires for drag racing

so I need tune, drag tires, scan, gauges, more boost, better driving / drag racing skills, I woud like to add FMIC, sway bar...

goals, 11's sound great.... not sure I had limits based on current setup, but wanted to add a few more bolt-ons for daily driver, street, drag, show, I do not want to tow it to track.

I wasnt sure where I should be running in 1/4 mile based on setup...

THANK YOU
Brett
920-279-5466
from now on race in drive not overdrive and never race without a scantool. you may be getting detonation because your mph is saying you are down on horsepower. you should be around low 100's

With a decent hooking track, new drag radials, some c16 gas and the boost turned up 11's could be attainable. How old are your valve springs? It might be time to swap them out for some new ones.

Stock Boost,

Ok, checked out scantool, which one and version is needed? who has best deal... full throttle or ???

last year, I wanted to make it driveable, since it had no turbo and no brakes, now I want to tweak it / tune it...

THANK YOU TO ALL, I have had some maintenance done to it, new wires, seals,, had header leak fixed too, this car had lots of LITTLE things here and there, loose bolts, etc, so with all the replies, I have made a check list to go through... and take care of one by one...

thank you, I plan on getting it done as needed, I knew I needed scan tool and gauges, but put it off until this year,

last year the GN wasnt really driveable, bad turbo, and brakes shot, exhaust shot... and wanted it to drive to NC open house at Richard Clarks and then to Reynolds for SMC...

it was purchased as a hobby, something to do with my life, becuz of having hip replacements, I am unable to ride snowmobiles, ATV's, cant really go hunting anymore, you could say I had life changing lifestyle....

all I can say is enjoy life, you never know when it will stop or change for the better or worse... I have learned to adapt, but dont want to stop living...

I dont know much about the mechanic side of a Buick V6 Turbo, but I am learning...