I was so close

BFlat

Re-cored radiator install - yes. Alarm system figured out so car will start - yes. Transmission cooler line fittings on grill side of radiator leaking - unfortunately yes. How do you get those 90 degree fittings clocked tightly into the radiator and in the right direction? I used some good sealant but apparently it didn't work. Can I use teflon tape on those fitting? I think the radiator has been in and out of the car more that I have since I bought it.

When my radiator was upgraded to the cold case, the curved lines that run around to the front of the radiator were put on first. Then they were attached to the long lines running to the transmision on the side of the battery. That is the easiest way to assure they are on straight.

Re-cored radiator install - yes. Alarm system figured out so car will start - yes. Transmission cooler line fittings on grill side of radiator leaking - unfortunately yes. How do you get those 90 degree fittings clocked tightly into the radiator and in the right direction? I used some good sealant but apparently it didn't work. Can I use teflon tape on those fitting? I think the radiator has been in and out of the car more that I have since I bought it.
For me it was easiest to put the 90* fittings on BEFORE I put the radiator in. That way I can tighten & clock them to the correct position to meet up with the cooler lines.

As for the fittings they should seal themselves. The thread should be self sealing(similar to the way the brake lines seal). The brass fittings are cheap enough if ya need to buy two new ones. Just be sure to get the correct thread type.

if I remember correctly those fittings are NPT on a OEM radiator. Loctite has a product 545, it will seal a pipe thread that you cut get one more turn to seal. BUT it must be clean and allow time to cure.

l

Aren’t the transmission lines 5/16” inverted flare?
you are correct ,But the OE is NTP Im about 99% sure. It would be almost imposable to get a 5/6 inverted flare 90 to bottom and seal at the correct angle on the 25thousand turbo Buicks belt in 87
This is a pic os a OE radiator and fitting clearly 1/8 NTP

Attachments

• tempImager4pQEK.png
    tempImager4pQEK.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImageWBDB0c.png
    tempImageWBDB0c.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 24
THensley, I'll try the Loctite 545. To confirm: If I get the fittings in there finger tight, I can get up to another full turn? That would be great.
Do I have a little "wiggle time" before it sets up if after putting the radiator back in things get bumped a bit when re-connecting the lines from the transmission to the hard lines that wrap around the radiator?

THensley, I'll try the Loctite 545. To confirm: If I get the fittings in there finger tight, I can get up to another full turn? That would be great.
Do I have a little "wiggle time" before it sets up if after putting the radiator back in things get bumped a bit when re-connecting the lines from the transmission to the hard lines that wrap around the radiator?
please confirm your OE has 1/8 NTP as pictured and not 5/6 inverted flare, If someone changed the OE cooler its posable to not be NTP.
You will have plenty of wiggle time 545 takes hours to set not minutes

I have the original radiator & the 2 original fittings. Ordered 5 more to see if the starter threads might let a couple of them clock differently so they fit tighter. That 545 stuff is kinda pricey. Worth it if it works.

ask your local industrial bearing house or bolt house for a small .25 oz bottle that will probable give it to you.

Probably impossible to answer exactly, but once those fittings are finger tight, how much cranking can I do with a wrench to get them in the right position before something goes crunch? I'm a coward.

My favorite goto For NTP is Loctite 567 and with 1/8 -1/2 NTP you can get 1/2-3/4 turn and maybe a full turn from finger tight.
It is also a very good sealant , it needs to be snugged down tighter than the 545. 567 is a sealer and thread lubricant. 545 will bond similar to a locking formula creating your seal.
Locktite products are $ but they're not just a sealers but take the science two steps forward past hardware store products.