I'm seriously considering a Hellcat guys

I've got to admit , I'm surprised at the interest from Buick guys about something of the Mopar brand . But then again , Buick doesn't currently offer anything of the " cool factor " of a car right now . As I mentioned , I had bought a new Challenger R/T in 09 , fun car , and as mentioned above , handled better than you would think for being so heavy . Rode so nice and tight/solid feeling .
Fast forward to 2013 , we were going to buy a new car , had the SUV/truck/minivan covered so a car it was to be . Keeping an open mind I did go to Buick to check out and drive their lineup . Verano , Regal , and Lacrosse . Nice cars , turbo Regal was fun , but nothing exciting . Since my wife loved the new Charger R/T's ,( I know 4 door ) , we test drove them , and bought one . At least it was rear wheel drive and could turn off the traction control and have some burnout fun with . There were 4 models of it in that year with one called Road and Track which gave you 3.06 rear , different suspension parts , paddle shifters , heated/ventilated seats , heated/cooled cup holders , and more . Again , rides awesome , handles very well . Highway gets 27.3 mpg .
But I did take it to the track , did not run what my 09 Challenger did , Challenger went 13.76 @ 102 , Charger went 14.21 @ 99 .
I did have it up to 130 mph , and gotta say , for even not being an SRT , the car felt very confident at that speed .
If I were in the market for a new one again , Scat Pak Challenger all the way , shaker hood !!!!...............in black !!!!

... I have to say, the corner handling of this 4400# car is what surprised me the most!
GN is faster on the strip, easy to do, but it sure is not as comfortable to drive everyday, thats why the GN goes to the track, and the SRT goes to work with me:)
Have fun and keep us posted!
+1
I went to the SRT Track experience with my 392-owner buddy in 2013 here on the "Lightning" course at NJMSP. All of the SRT vehicles were impressive on the Auto-X and road course. I was amazed at how the Pro driver threw that 4400# Challenger around.
I posted a few of the videos on YouTube, here is one:
The telemetry on those laps did not show up on my video, but we were cooking :cool:
(all cars were brand-new, bone stock automatics)

5450lbs. you planning on going to war with that tank?
What are you referring to weighing that much?? That's as much as my SRT10 Quad Cab truck weighs!

For power adders, Magnuson, Kenne Bell, and Edelbrock have roots SC kits for them, Novi has a vortec style kit available, and then STS rear mount turbo, and my fav is the Hellion twin turbo kit that can add as much power as you desire till the pistons come flying out :) http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php/turbo-systems/162

+1
I went to the SRT Track experience with my 392-owner buddy in 2013 here on the "Lightning" course at NJMSP. All of the SRT vehicles were impressive on the Auto-X and road course. I was amazed at how the Pro driver threw that 4400# Challenger around.
I did that in '13 as well, that was a blast! Through the auto cross track I pulled within .02 of the pro driver and .03 faster than my time in the Challenger driving the SRT8 Grand Cherokee..that thing rocked with all wheel drive! Rode with the pro driver in the Dynamics course slightly drifting around some of the slight curves at over 120mph! I was so impressed with the Grand Cherokee we came close to buying one of those until my wife decided she really wanted a Wrangler to take off road and take the top off on nice days..not near as fast, but is as much fun.

Rob - I hear you, I "won" 3rd place in the Autocross at our event - yep, in the Jeep. Watching the videos later, I also noted hitting just about 100 in one of the short straights in it on the track - awesome.
I saw 123 mph on the front straight per the telemetry in that drive of the white Challenger, that was following the instructor, and you can hear that we were taking it easy o_O
We don't have an SRT, but my wife heard my buddy raving about the event and bought me in [for a milestone anniversary gift]. Agreed - definitely a blast of a day :)

Last edited:
I thought it was real impressive because I had never driven a Jeep SRT GC in my life and was very used to driving the Challenger, and it was the first run in it that I made the best pass! I think I was 2nd or 3rd, we had 2 cops in our group that had been through several professional driving courses, and I think the rest of the folks had never been on a track in their lives, one cop was nailing everything almost as good as the professional driver did. Our dynamics course had a long straightway on it and I thought I was pushing the Challenger pretty hard at around 105 mph through it and the curve, but then rode with the professional and did 120 through the same straight with the slight curve.

Fastest I've ever been on land was in my Chally at 151mph and still had plenty left in it, just ran out of open freeway...freeway had been closed and I was one of the first to be let through, had 4 lanes open for about 2 miles before the first on ramp...as soon as I couldn't see the police behind me I had to hammer it as that was a once in a lifetime opportunity with 0 cars and every cop in town was back at the accident or directing traffic :) Previous to that it was 136mph from waayy back in high school when we didn't have a care in the world.

The Helcat, Mustang and new Camaroes are nice , the reason I would not buy one is they are too trendy and stick out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes: If I was going to buy something new it would be a Cadillac CTS-V. They are a modern day GN and in the last Road and Track were faster then the Helcat:D. I also hear that some guy named Cal is pretty good at tuning them ;)

Last edited:
Here is my DD scat pack charger with eight speed automatic 392 CI. Should run 12.4 in quarter-mile and should be about 425 RWHP stock. I am very impressed with this car.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
The Helcat, Mustang and new Camaroes are nice , the reason I would not buy one is they are too trendy and stick out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes: If I was going to buy something new it would be a Cadillac CTS-V. They are a modern day GN and in the last Road and Track were faster then the Helcat:D. I also hear that some guy named Cal is pretty good at tuning them ;)
Ok, I'll admit that I have a modded Pontiac G8 GT that used to be my dd so I'm biased toward the Australian Holden Commodore and HSV lines.

Buy a Chevy SS, put a Whipple supercharger on it, run 10s, call it a day. Car has size, almost every feature you could want, handles amazing for its size and does not stick out like a sore thumb.

You'll spend $10-15k less than a Hellcat. The SS will be bland though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've got to admit , I'm surprised at the interest from Buick guys about something of the Mopar brand . But then again , Buick doesn't currently offer anything of the " cool factor " of a car right now .

Keeping an open mind I did go to Buick to check out and drive their lineup . Verano , Regal , and Lacrosse . Nice cars , turbo Regal was fun , but nothing exciting.

Fingers crossed... ;)

You should consider the new ZL1.
It will be quicker and faster than the Hellcat and run circles around it on a track if that is your cup of tea.
The price should be very comparable too.
I am waiting to see what Ford does, I have heard rumors of a TT3.5 Mustang.

I had a serious hard on for Hellcats and SRT's for awhile. I was going to sell my WRX and GN and use the money to get a 2015 SRT if not a Hellcat. Then little things happened to turn me off to them. The first thing is that so far every SRT or Hellcat owner I have come across except 1 at car shows is a stuck up asshole. Then I rode in one at a short drag race setup at Barrett Jackson. It was not impressive. My 11 year old son told the guy that his Dad's GN is faster before getting out of the other car. Now the new Viper was another story. I was not expecting that at all. Very impressive. Now that I'm a Sales Engineer and drive all over the place, Having a car like this is not in the cards. I'm going to put a little more love into the 2014 WRX and drive the wheels off of it. It's paid for, gets 24mpg, runs mid / upper 12's with a couple bolt-ons, is super fun, and hauls the family just fine. My only concern is long term reliability as these cars are not known for it.