You can type here any text you want

I'm soooo pissed!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
I never never never never come across anyone who wants to go. never never never!

This weekend I had ignition problems that I did not have time to address (hesitation and popping at WOT and heavy throttle). Within a 1 hour time frame while running errands I had a WRX, LS1 vette, and 5.0 ALL WANTING SOME!!!!! DAMMIT!!!

That's my luck.

Ain't it the truth! One day my car was missing on the way to work as I was having some spark plug wire issues (lare remedied by purchase of Red's wires) and I had a Mercedes actually want to play. All I could do was limp on to work and looked like a coward. That was one of the few times that my car wasn't running exceptional. Like you said.... any other time, nothing comes a knockin'. Problems compounds itself when you have a T-Type or Turbo-T (noticed you do from your sig) and especially if you have a chrome package car! I do enjoy flying underneath the radar screen! :cool:

I don't know too much about the turbo cars but it seems like there is an AWEFUL lot of folks with ignition troubles on these cars. :confused:

Is it because of all your mods that you are running into trouble or is there something I'm missing? I've always thought of these cars as being very dependable but after reading some of the posts I see about all these ignition troubles and everything else, I'm starting to reconsider getting a GN in the future. :(

Originally posted by Ken Mild
I don't know too much about the turbo cars but it seems like there is an AWEFUL lot of folks with ignition troubles on these cars. :confused:

Is it because of all your mods that you are running into trouble or is there something I'm missing? I've always thought of these cars as being very dependable but after reading some of the posts I see about all these ignition troubles and everything else, I'm starting to reconsider getting a GN in the future. :(

Well, I'm almost certain that it's either wires or coil pack. I'll find out by tomorrow. I'm not too upset about it (other than the lost chances to lay the smack down). It has 168,000 miles this is the first skip I've had in the 14 months I've owned it. Daily driver too. A buddy has been thru 2 coil packs in his 92 Bonneville (he's gonna be my test donor). I figure you drive an old car every day, things are gonna go wrong every once in a while. Still beats a new car payment.

There really aren't any ignition problems that are wide spread. I mean if you buy one you can expect to pay for a new coil or module at somepoint, most of these cars have seen a hard life and these components have had a lot heat around them. Wires are probably only a problem because they weren't routed perfect (We've all burnt one or two, especially on the hot airs) or they are originals on a high mileage car. But if you keep regular maintenence and don't buy the cheap wires from the local auto parts (at least get AC DELCO) then you should have a trouble free ignition system.

Not trying to be a butt here but....15 year and older cars that are reliable? Every car has problems and being as old as they are it only compounds things. I'd also like to add, when you get these things running right...WWWWOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Originally posted by Ken Mild

I went almost 270,000 miles on the original nearly 19yr old coilpack and module. One day it started cutting out at anything over 20psi. I could still drive normal on pumpgas. With my car being fairly modded and considering the age and miles, I wasn't in the least bit mad at the car nor did I consider the ignition system unreliable. In fact I think just the opposite. How many cars will go that long or can be taken into the 10s on the stock ignition setup? I've finally accepted that I own an old car and there will always be problems.

One coil pack later, WOOOHOOO. She's sideways at 18 lbs and smooth as a baby's ass. Also, now I know how easy it is to remove, test, and replace. Cake.

Now, where was that Vette? :D

ignition probs...15 yr old car...hmmmmmm

I'm one of a possibly "not so few" people whos experienced a nasty meltdown of the coilpack harness connector. As our cars get older the Little things start creeping up on us...and under 26lbs of boost it got really nasty at the track. back in 95 i had noticed something was wrong with my main wiring harness when i was at a local checkers drive thru and my 86T died on me...Being an Ex-F-16 crew chief and "normal" at the time I got out of the car looked up at a blazing Miami Florida Sun (98 degrees at this time) and thought "heh Just like back on the flightline", got under the hood, poked around with a jewlers screwdriver at te coil pack harness and fired it up. Back at the BUICK dealership service dept they wanted $800 bucks for a new harness $800 bucks for Parts meant God knows how much for "labor"...so being tight on $$$ at the time i opted to just go to the junkyard and grab a harness off a buick lesabre and get it spliced (yes i was desperate) at the track years later I was in the staginglanes when a friend was under the hood checking for leaks when his elbow touched the harness wires...the car cut off and looked at me from under the hod a if to say..."EEP!" the car drove all the wy up to the track without so much as a hiccup. but when it saw those staging lights it flat out said..."you wouldn't dare!" This next to a pretty brand new Vette in the other lane! Well at about half track it popped and bucked and i heard a nasty "POP!" blew a head gasket ring clean off. Still ran a 12.70 though lol. Now I'm, looking at the Caspers Electronics and Postons wiring harness. $600 bucks isn't bad at all now that i think of the problems I'll be saving rather tan putting a used complete harness out o an 86/87 GN i have gathering dust and cob webs. OK Sorry I'm done ranting now...

Back