You can type here any text you want

Indy500 1989 License Plate Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

We all seen the license plates used on the pace cars, the TTA's used for parade duties and other vehicles used on and aorund the track during the event in 1989.

I got hold of another license plate, identical except for the word WRECKER and the large red logo in the center (see http://la.rsson.com/Indy89WreckerPlate.jpg.

Anyone know if these were used on the tow trucks or similar during the event?

Any help appreciated.

From what information I've found there is X amount of wreckers set aside at Indy for the race. Each of these wreckers get a plate just like the one you found. I guess in case they need to go off the grounds. I would assume it's the same wreckers each year they just make a new plate for them for the year. Challenger is the name of a company who builds the wrecker bodys for tow trucks here in the states. I've seen one or two of those wrecker plates in the past. Whatever car they put those tags on (IE: festival cars, wreckers) is good in Indianapolis for that year. This way the festival cars and or wreckers can be driven around the streets of Indianapolis that year. Still kinda cool but I've seen the wrecker plates go for really cheap on eBay. I guess people don't collect them as much. :cool:

Indy Plates

.. if anyone has one of those plates up for grabs.. let me know please... .

Back