Info on GTA wheels

sorry to bring back an old thread but can someone tell me for sure if the rear gta's work on front without any spacer? it seems everyone is using 4 fronts with no spacer.

rears are good for scrap. (unless u have a T/A) IMHO. u need 4 fronts, and still may need rear spacers to get that GNX look.:eek:

that dude is high priced. (again my opinion) there is after market companies selling 4 front's (new) for $199 a wheel plus center's and lugs

spacers are needed.

Fastlif, I'm running a 3/8 spacer in the front.. for the rear gta wheels, some need more or less.

duh!!

Just remembered I'm not running the space anymore, 1/2 adapter now.. looks a lot better too.

Classic Industries GTA knock offs

I agree, go with 4 fronts.....I'm running 4 front GTA's on my car with 255 x 50ZR 16's on the back with no problems whatsoever & 245 x 50ZR 16's on the front.

By the way....the link to e-bay above, looks to be Classic Industries rims.....they are good so no worries. Just be sure you're buying the 4 fronts though! BTW you can buy these for much less directly from Classic Industries....they often offer large discounts on them / or free shipping from CA from time to time. Will just need to buy some wheel nuts and plastic wheel nut covers and GTA wheel centre hubs...which you can find at Kirbans, GBody etc.

Happy Motoring!

dave

Started to start a new thread, but saw this and thought it applied.

Looking to get some GTA/GNX style wheels and correct size tires and was wondering the best place to buy these items. I've tried to get on Classic Industries site but can't seem to get access. Have been trying for a couple days with no luck. Is that still the best place to buy 4 front GTA/GNX style wheels and then buy the lugs, caps, centers etc somewhere else or ??? Kirban appears to have the same set complete with lugs, caps etc for $995 + s/h. Also found a trans am vendor hawksthirdgenparts that has them as well for $699/set or $199.95 each.

On the tires what is a good brand/style or ? to go with and where is a good place to buy? 245/50/16 front and 255/50/16 rear or 245s all around?

Do the lug nut caps screw on and off the lugs themselves or how do they attach?

i THINK MOST OF THESE VENDORS ARE SELLING THE SAME MANUFACTURER'S WHEELS, (sry caps) and yes the plastic lug covers screw onto the lug nuts,(you have to have correct lugs) 245/50/16 all around is preferred by a few. make sure u get 4 "fronts" offset spacing all around. I'm not sure if they always come like that. I buy all my tires from tirerack.com
u get them fast, kumho's are very inexpensive tire, real soft, hook good, quiet ride, i think i paid like 52 a tire? and they are rated higher than some well known twice the price tires.
just my opinion

i THINK MOST OF THESE VENDORS ARE SELLING THE SAME MANUFACTURER'S WHEELS, (sry caps) and yes the plastic lug covers screw onto the lug nuts,(you have to have correct lugs) 245/50/16 all around is preferred by a few. make sure u get 4 "fronts" offset spacing all around. I'm not sure if they always come like that. I buy all my tires from tirerack.com
u get them fast, kumho's are very inexpensive tire, real soft, hook good, quiet ride, i think i paid like 52 a tire? and they are rated higher than some well known twice the price tires.
just my opinion

Is there a specific style of kumho that is prefered?

Maybe I am off-track, but if the GTA fronts are zero offset wouldn't that imply 4.5" backspacing, not 4.75"?
Mike

I have 4 gta fronts and I want to put drag radials in the back. I'm looking for options with pics if you can... Fenders are rolled...

Sorry for the n00b question, however I'm not remembering how much the GTA/GNX wheels weigh; does anyone know by chance?

GTA wheels

Does anyone knows if the rims Kirbans is selling now are the same offset with the GTA fronts ?

I'm almost positive yes, however you can get them either way (fr or rr) offset. I believe he gets them from the same supplier as year one and classic industries (same price)

B-Car Spindle

Guys and Gals,
There is one mod that will allow the use of a set of GTA wheels (fronts AND rears), provide 12" front rotors, and get a much better handling car in the process.

The tall G-body spindle is the secret!

The early 80's big GM cars and stationwagons had tall spindles and 12" diameter rotors. These are fairly common in auto wrecking yards. Use of this spindle does three things for our G-body. This spindle is taller than the stock g-body spindle which gives you a better camber curve for better handling. It also moves the wheel around so the GTA rear wheel (23mm offset) will work on the front without spacers. This mod will require that you purchase Hotchkis tubular upper control arms designed for this swap and that you either redrill the 12" b-car rotor to the GTA/GN bolt circle or purchase Camaro 1LE 12" rotor with the correct bolt circle AND correct metric studs!

245-50-16 tires will fit front and back fine and 255-50-16's may fit on the rear.

Conrad Carter

I had the b-body spindle/12" brake swap for years, the brakes worked very well but the handling was horrible. The bump-steer got worse after the swap, it required me to constantly correct the steering wheel while driving. Its like driving a car with constantly changing front-end alignment, I would not recommend this swap to anybody. Call Marcus at SC&C and explore other options.
Mike

All I can say is that has NOT been my experience! My car handles fine.
Conrad

Just a quick unrelated note:

Info that has long interested me but never been listed to my knowledge.

I just pulled the stock GN rims off my car they had 245/60R15's
I installed 4 front GTA rims with 245/50R16's

GN rims weighed in at 56.5lbs
GTA rims weighed in at 40.5

16lbs per rim difference or 64lbs total!:cool: