Info on GTA wheels

I'm not sure if you are a member of the inner circle but according to Dennis Kirban himself, his "new" wheel is identical to this wheel. Dennis ran out of his "Kirban style" wheel right before Christmas 2008 and the wheel he is getting ready to sell is absolutely identical to the wheels I pictured above. I'm sure you could call Kirban Performance tomorrow and get it from the horses mouth.:)

I'm not sure if you are a member of the inner circle but according to Dennis Kirban himself, his "new" wheel is identical to this wheel. Dennis ran out of his "Kirban style" wheel right before Christmas 2008 and the wheel he is getting ready to sell is absolutely identical to the wheels I pictured above. I'm sure you could call Kirban Performance tomorrow and get it from the horses mouth.:)
Not to be confrontational, Wesley, but I had not heard that Dennis switched over to the wheel pictured. That is a good move. The rims with the plate look weren't quite as popular as the ones pictured, of course, that's in MHO.

I agree 100% as I prefer the GNX/GTA style over the old Kirban style. I guess it is just a matter of taste as his old style are nice just not as nice as the originals.

Here's what I did: Called Classic Industries and ordered 4 of the GTA wheels with the zero offset. $699.99 plus shipping to my door. They have them in stock now. I ordered my lug nuts with the black covers from Kirban's and also ordered the GTA/GNX centers from Kirbans. Last but not least I ordered metal decals from buickgn.com. When it was all said and done I have less than a grand in them minus the tires. I went with 245's up front and 255's in the rear and I have absolutely no rubbing. Hope this helps.

How much room is there between the rear wheels and frame/body? I'm assuming your not using any spacers in the rear, just the zero offset (aka front) GTA wheels.
I am also about to purchase 255's for the rear, and would like to know if I'll be alright with zero offset GTA's.

Is classic industries still offering the set 4 fronts for 699?
The link is gone, but they still have 2f/2r for 699, has anyone called and gotten that price recently on the fronts?

Looks like the price is $199.95 each now.

But call to find out if they are for front
or rear.

Here is the link: Classic Industries

Also, regarding weight, my file info says they are 15 - 17lbs. I have
not confirmed this. It might be correct considering the cut-out
design.

My T-type wheels weigh about 24lbs., so the unsprung weight difference
is significant.

Steven

I agree 100% as I prefer the GNX/GTA style over the old Kirban style. I guess it is just a matter of taste as his old style are nice just not as nice as the originals.

old kirban style was just american racing aftermarket crap, looked like crap, identical to the jeep wheels that were popular in the early 90's.(manufactured by same company) too bad it took him 20 years to to wise up and sell some decent wheels. :eek: just my opinion..............

BELIEVE HE IS RIGHT. I have a set of ENKIE's which are also 16" Fortunely I bought them. Not knowing black inserts where rare.Butsize seems right. Ican look or photo them....Rob

old kirban style was just american racing aftermarket crap, looked like crap, identical to the jeep wheels that were popular in the early 90's.(manufactured by same company) too bad it took him 20 years to to wise up and sell some decent wheels. :eek: just my opinion..............

Awww...c'mon...they were not THAT bad!...:rolleyes: True the GTA 's are a bit nicer, but the American Racing's also look very good ok to me...:wink:

Claude. :smile:

i appologize to anyone for coming across a little harsh on my previous post regarding the ARE wheels. :eek: when i typed it it didnt seem so harsh. this is just my personal opinion, not that there is anything wrong with those wheels. I also didnt mean to sound like i was bashing Kirban's. I order alot of stuff from Dennis, and have had great luck with him and his products.

no one likes rikens?

those are my favorite mesh type wheel, 2 piece welded light weight aluminum with a unique design ftw.

no one likes rikens?

those are my favorite mesh type wheel, 2 piece welded light weight aluminum with a unique design ftw.

Yes, I like them...It's just that they're difficult to find. I don't even know if the Riken company still exists today...:confused:
I had some GTA's modified ( some custom-made 16"x10"s for the rear used with some regular 16"x8" "rears" in front...) BUT I would have preferred Rikens. I had to settle for GTA's because here in Canada, they're definitely impossible to find...:(

Claude. :)

Yes, I like them...It's just that they're difficult to find. I don't even know if the Riken company still exists today...:confused:
I had some GTA's modified ( some custom-made 16"x10"s for the rear used with some regular 16"x8" "rears" in front...) BUT I would have preferred Rikens. I had to settle for GTA's because here in Canada, they're definitely impossible to find...:(

Claude. :)

Riken went out of business a LONG time ago, like around 15 years ago (thats what makes them rare). They made mesh wheels in 13, 14, 15, 16". Their biggest selling wheel was their MESH design, and the BIGGEST MESH wheel they made was 16x9.5" with a 5lug 5x120 bolt pattern, an option on 80's american muscle car like mustang or corvette. My 16x9.5" came off a corvette while my 16x7" came off ebay. I bought a few sets to make 1 custom staggered set. If you live in canada there are plenty of Riken wheels for sale, if you need a set PM I can help you find one.

anyways I love the GTA wheels too, just that there are so many of them I love them a little less, like the ladies!

GTA wheels

Hence the price $65 for 4 or $62.00 each new GM. I almost guarantee it wasn't all 4 but 1 or maybe 2 rims that wouldn't keep them on? The center clearances for GM isn't exact. We found this out making T-type center caps. One cap would be tight getting it into a center & the next rim it would push in a Spin easily.
The GNX repops are the same as the GTA originals just no metal retainers.
We already tried buying just the metal retainers but GM doesn't sell them.

So, who can we get the GTA wheels and caps from ? I thought Classic used to carry them ? I put the taller spindles and 12" brakes on, but with the 3/4" wider track, the outside of the tire hits the fender lip on one side when the car bounces. The GTA's have more backspacing, so that should bring the tire in, right ? Sounds like maybe 4 fronts will do it. I have some old ARE's (American Racing) with that pattern in black on now, but I would guess that these have stock backspacing.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

i appologize to anyone for coming across a little harsh on my previous post regarding the ARE wheels. :eek: when i typed it it didnt seem so harsh. this is just my personal opinion, not that there is anything wrong with those wheels. I also didnt mean to sound like i was bashing Kirban's. I order alot of stuff from Dennis, and have had great luck with him and his products.

IMG_0084.jpg

info

Here is what I have gathered. Ya'll help me fill in the blanks.

And please offer more if you know.

Pontiac GTA rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
GTA rims were available only in 16x8.
The Pontiac GTA’s came fitted with these rims from 87-92.
GTA 87-88 are the non-dimpled 1 piece design.
GTA 89-92 are the dimpled 2 piece design.
The GTA’s are marked “front” and “rear”.
Front offset:
Rear offset:

Buick GNX rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
GNX rims were available in 16x8.
Buick GNX came fitted with these rims in 1987.
The GNX are marked “OFF-15” for the fronts and “OFF-23” for the rears. Both front and rear also have the marking of “8JJX16”.
Front offset:
Rear offset:
the marking "8JJX16" were those only on the GNX wheels?

Since we are discussing mesh wheels and "Riken" wheels.... I have an old set of Epsilon 3 piece wheels that I adopted from a friend after he sold his GN...

These are lightweight, 3 piece wheels...

I have an older set of Boyds on my GN and like the polished look myself...