You can type here any text you want

Initial startup problems with XFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I was trying to fireup my new motor today and it just wouldn't stay running. The longest time i had her purring was around 3 seconds and then it just died, no stutter or stumble, just dead.

It takes a long time cranking the motor over to make it want to run, but it never stays. The plugs are super super wet, and i tried cutting down the fuel alot, but still no difference. We changed plugs 3 times and still no difference. Is there something else within the XFI that could cause this sudden death?

Everything on the dashboard looks great except the cam sync flag stays at 0. Could that mean anything?

Just looking for ideas before i go and do something stupid.

Adrian

Once the plugs are soaked you really have no chance to get it running unless you dry them out and dry the cylinders out as well. With 95's it wont take much to flood it out. You wont get spark without a cam sync, but that is in the igntion module itself. You can pull the ecu out of the car and crank it and check for spark. If there is spark the cam sensor/module is working fine. You should be looking for about 1.6 ms pulse width at idle warm engine. Whats your cranking pw?

Hey Norbs, if you are talking about the PW setting that i can change when in F5, then i have that set at 0.9, but i have tried lowering it down to 0.7 with no avail.

the fuel table was originally around 45, and i lowered it down to around 27, but still the plugs are saying way too much fuel.

Like i said, it does run occasionally for around 3 seconds, so i think the cam is in sync.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Could i maybe call you and pick your brain?

Sure, if you got a good long distance plan..........Don;t touch the pw, that is minimum injector opening time. For 95's i think it should be about 1.13 ms. Set the cranking fuel to about 7ms@70 degrees F. Make sure you have enough throttle blade opening also.

If you want, give me a call on my cell. I'm travelling back from Reynolds, GA

Hey Cal, I will give you a call tomorrow morning if that is okay with you. I was out hunting today trying to take my anger out on some innocent animal. No luck there either

FWIW... cranking fuel takes effect when cranking..... it is what you want to mess with if it won't hit at all. After it "hits"....cranking fuel is no longer in control.....now the "afterstart" fuel is in control. I always pull up the VE table while cranking.....and watch the actual AFR when I crank it...... if you watch close..... you can see which way the AFR is heading when it hits...then as it dies.....you can determine if you need more or less fuel. In your case... it sounds like less....... however..... you need to also go to the "view"...."idle functions"....."start IAC position vs. coolant temp" ...... this is where you set the IAC value while cranking..... if that number is too low....for the temp you are trying to crank it..... it isn't letting the motor get any air while cranking.... the higher the number.... is like you holding the throttle open slightly while cranking...... IMHO..... if you err here.... err to the high side on your numbers..... so she can breathe while you are cranking....

HTH

maybe try logging when it starts and then dies
enough xfier's around here someone should be able to pin it down
-dan

Update: I am flying to karolko's place this weekend to get it sorted out.

Nope.

Adrians in Calgary, Alberta Canada. It's even colder there than Minnesota. Think of of a colder Denver and you get the idea.

Anyways.. Cal came up to tune all of our cars here in Calgary. Thanks Cal... You did a great job.. It was nice meeting you.

Don

Great meeting you too, Don. Yes, Adrian's car is fixed. He managed 636hp at 26psi. He made 526hp at 15psi on straight pump gas. Startup just needed a litle tweaking (more throttle opening and a little more cranking fuel).
Every time I come to Canada I learn more about cold start fueling :) Florida doesn't reach the negative temperatures :eek: THANK GOD!!!!

Back