Installed rebuilt trans. Flare/slip on 1-2 shift

GNVAIR

I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I installed the trans and filled the fluid to the correct level. I adjusted the tv cable initially per the gnttype.org instructions. Problem was the 1-2 shift would occur at less than 10 mph. I tried to adjust it per the factory specs by holding the tab down and opening the throttle all the way. Still the same thing. I tried to pull it back towards the firewall a few more clicks and the shift point seems correct, but it feels like it is flaring/slipping very badly on the 1-2 shift. I have only put maybe 3 miles on the car and at no time did I take it to wot. Does it sound like the trans is hurt?
What do I do now?

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the tv cable adjustment.
I read through posts from the archives and someone said to depress the d shaped tab while someone else floors the gas pedal.Then grab the cable and pull it back as hard as you can towards the firewall. I dont know if this is correct. It feels like it might stretch the cable at WOT.
Man, I am confused :(
I just dont want to ruin a $1100 rebuild and a $200+ dollar convertor because of something stupid.

sounds like might have primary gov weight stuck. What about 2-3? is it early?
Bruce
WE4

I think I solved it. It was the tv adjustment, I decided to try pulling the cable as far out towards the firewall as I could while my buddy floored the pedal. This seemed to do the trick.
The only thing I noticed is the 1-2 shift is extremely violent under part throttle conditions. It is fine under 1/2 to full throttle. At part throttle, it also shifts 2-3 at about 40 mph.
At part throttle, it doesnt shift into 4th until 50 mph. I think that it might be shifting a little late since the old trans shifted into 4th at 45mph exactly everytime under the same conditions.
I drove it for about 2 hours tonight and along 1 road I was doing a constant 45mph. It almost seemed like it was lugging. I dont know if this is from the convertor lock up or not since I am not sure if the lock up was working on my old trans. In order for it to kick down to 3rd, I almost had to floor it. That seemed odd to me.
What do you guys think? Should I loosen the cable up 1 or 2 clicks?

go the opposite of the way you went to make it late one click, drive it. then another to set repeat until it set where its comfortable. move only oner setting between each drive. just like in science class, change only one variable at a time. HTHs