Intake nuts and bolts

phillyturbosix

Staff member
I'm taking apart my 86 and I'm powder coating the intake, dog house, TB, Valve covers and all that good stuff. I'm going with factory like colors trying to keep it stock to the eye. My question is what to do with he nuts and bolts that holds everything on. My coater said he can powder coat the ends and part of the threads and I'm thinking about going that way. With a glossy black or something. My 87 GN I went with AlloyBoltz.com and got the 12 point polished stuff but I want to keep the 86 stock appearing. Anyone ever powder coat the nuts and bolts before or know a good source for the factory looking nuts and bolts?

I would not recommend powdercoating any bolts that require a specific torque value. ie: intake bolts etc. The thickness of the powder will throw off the values and may cause issues that you don't want.:eek: I would recommend using a high temp paint instead. HTH ---Keith

YOu can get a "Bolt Blacking kit" from eastwood that's supposed to replicate the factory finish. In reality all it is is gun blueing.

Jim, I've powdercoated stock bolts before, never had a problem and they came out great. Make sure you take care in tightening the bolts, I usually put a thin shop rag over the bolt to protect the powdercoat from chipping against the socket/wrench. -Ed

Engine bolts

Eastwood used to sell plastic inserts for sockets to protect the finish on bolts... not sure if they are still available or not...

hmmm thanks for all the input guys!!! I talked to my coater and he said he will coat the head and some of the threads so there is no issue with the threads. I'm getting the headers jet hot coated and he told me he can do the entire bolt on them as jet hot is a little softer. So I may coat to see how it works out.

For the intake nuts and bolts you guys think glossy black or satin black?

Philly, Powder is fine on bolt heads as stated above, it will add about 2 mills per side though.
The ceramic coatings on header bolts will not hurt anything either it is a thin film coating.

When your done i'll let you run wild under my hood and you can make it look as good as your car. Powder on the head of the bolt shouldn't hurt it Jim go for it

I would not recommend powdercoating any bolts that require a specific torque value. ie: intake bolts etc. The thickness of the powder will throw off the values and may cause issues that you don't want.:eek: I would recommend using a high temp paint instead. HTH ---Keith

I wanted to do the same thing but went with buying a blackening kit from Caswell Inc. - Black Oxide Kit. After they were blackened I cleared them.
I wanted black bolts on the silver background and silver bolts on the black parts so i went ahead and bought the Eastwood zinc plating kit. Worked out perfect.

As a side note, my buddy went the same route but got his bolts "professionally" done with a black oxide coating. We both agreed that mine came out better and was a heck of a lot cheaper.

Just curious to see some results. Do you have pics you can post as well as what this cost you to do?

I just went out to get a few pics but realized where the bolts are, they aren't visible without moving a few wires around or removing some brackets. If you go to my flicker page in my sig you can see some of the work. I painted my intake silver and anywhere there was a bolt to hold it down, I used a black bolt/nut. If there was a black bracket coming off it (I had all brackets painted black) I used a silver colored bolt/nut. I had a few pics of just the intake but they got lost on a broken hard drive. I'll look around and see if I can find some good examples.

**update**

Just an update....

Powder coated all the bolts and nuts! They came out nice. It turned the metric stuff into standard sizes! :eek: Nothing chipped off when torquing them down. No problems at all. Loaded them up with some anti-seize and in they all went. I'm happy with them and it least it should last forever! Here are some pics....

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

Here are some over all before and after shots...

before...

IMG_1786.JPG

Still a few small things to do but it's 95% done.
And after...

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2268.JPG

I also took the stock turbo intake to a local polish shop and had them make it pretty again :cool:

Before....

IMG_2213.JPG

and after...

IMG_2252.JPG