intercooler clean up

michael evans

Looking at my intercooler I see that it is oil coated like the intake itself is. Could that be why the intake temperature rose during boost as much as it did ?

What is the best way and what to use to clean it out ?

cheap way gasoline expensive way intake cleaner
there are many threads on this subject search button your friend

I used brake cleaner on mine and then followed up with some simple green and I allowed it to soak overnight and washed it out. Just be sure that you allow the intercooler to dry completely. I found that a leaf blower works well for this application. Good luck!

Careful with brake and carb cleaners theres many that will hurt the paint. Parts washer (clean solvent) or gas and then hot soapy water followed by a good water flush and you can use the blower side (have a clean filter in can) of the shop vac with a hose hooked to it to dry it out

Are you talking about the interior, exterior, or both?

Beware of using Simple Green & Purple Power type of products on aluminum. Some will cause damage. I used low odor mineral spirits to flush out the interior. A trip to the car was should take care of the exterior. Do the outside first, then the inside. Dry the inside with clean air from a shop vac or blow dryer. Beware of any fumes.

Beware of using Simple Green & Purple Power type of products on aluminum. Some will cause damage. I used low odor mineral spirits to flush out the interior. A trip to the car was should take care of the exterior. Do the outside first, then the inside. Dry the inside with clean air from a shop vac or blow dryer. Beware of any fumes.

The inside of it.

Hot ass water and some Dawn dish soap. Fill it up and let is sit with the hot water and soap for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. You can dump it down the drain and not worry about messing around with raw gas or any other kind of whatever.

Did the clean out with Purple Power degreaser

Filled the intercooler up with hot water (two gallons of water) and topped of with at least a quart of Purple Power twice.

Attachments

• Purple Power degreaser.JPG
    Purple Power degreaser.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 51

Purple Power is bad news on aluminum. I ruined a bunch of parts using that stuff.

Was that deluted with water or stright ?

Very diluted. Small aluminum parts that were either anodized clear, or clear coated. Soaked in a utility basin type of sink. Later on I noticed the water looked nasty. The parts had been striped of their finish & were chalky/scaly looking/feeling.

Did not know it would hurt aluminum.

Will look it over before I seal it up.

I wanted to change to a Front Mount................