You can type here any text you want

Intercooler Scoop

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Hey Guys,

I just recently got a TTA and was going over it yesterday and it looks like the intercooler scoop is destroyed. Is there anybody offering a new scoop? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick Elam

Nope, not going to find one unless you go on e-bay, but expect to pay around $300 to $400 for one.:eek: Mease was offering to make an aluminum one but not enough people wanted to jump on because the fear of chewing it up from bumps. I believe Rich "bigdogTTA" of Car Motorsports and some other guy is trying to get the original molding so they could reproduce it. If you find a couple, lemme know.;)

That is what I figured!

Looks like I will have to make something!

Thanks!
Rick Elam

I read something about making the lower section out of a rubbermaid trashcan, haven't had the time to try it but I just might one of these days.

Sean is correct. We are working on trying to have an exact replacement scoop produced. So far, difficult and expensive much like they were as a new part in 1989 plus the typical inflation over 14 years. If we could pre-sell 300 units then it can be done. We are exploring trying to do it with 100 units. Biggest problem is that the TTA demand for parts is very very low numbers wise and most items are a losing venture. I do support attempting to reproduce TTA products because I feel for the owners (being one myself) but I can only support so much in loss on the low number of TTA items purchased as advertisement for the rest of our accessory line. Certainly this Air Scoop is a must have item for the TTA to function correctly. The reason we will continue trying to reproduce the part.

Thanks,

Anybody have a good picture of the what the intercooler scoop should be like? The one on my TTA is hammered pretty bad, and I think it might be missing a piece?

If possible please e-mail me direct at RickE@Baer.com

Thanks!
Rick Elam

Kyle and others,

When this intercooler shroud was still available as a GM NOS Item some ten + years ago; the price was about $500. GM Parts prices inflate at about 4-5% per year compounded which would make the part nearly $800 if available now. The last NOS one I saw sold went for somewhere between $800 and $1000. My goal is to have the part available to the public for $500; and I believe this can be achieved. I will know more at the end of this week when we examine the blue prints and determine the molding status. You are correct about "pre-order", all items would have to paid up front. This cannot go the same as the TTA Carpet Project where the carpet was created based on a sign up list and now the orders are one third the amount of the names on the list. Hard to be deicated to the work it takes to amke these parts when the demand is not sincere. We did have a Buick Tailight lenses project for the 1970-72 GS Cars go very well last month utilizing the paid pre-order system. We will certainly utilize the same format for this GM reproduction part.

how about a 25% down scenerio? It really depends on the wait time from payment to recipt of the part.

I am sure if your actually able to move on this, there are enough people on here that would allow you to work somethign out where everyone will be happy.

I would also like to suggest you send something out to the mailing list. Which I am sure you will anyways.

Soryy to change the subject:

Hey Rich, do you still have those carpets available? Really need one and if you still have them, I will buy one in the near future. Just have to catch up on the funds.;) BTW, I wasn't one of the guys that was on the list, just the floor mats. Lemme know.

Sean,

Plenty of TTA Carpet available at this point. The GTA guys are just starting to purchase some also. You can call 678-431-1408 to order your set. We even include the front kick panels. HTH>

Mine was rather beat up and out of shape as well. The screen was also gone and I wanted to put something in there. I wanted to firm up the rectangular opening and add a screen of some sort. I pulled out the shrowd and made a cardboard template of the top and sides of the front snout. I focused on the lip that falls just in front of the sway bar, about and 1 1/2" wide, as well as the sides of the snout. Cardboard allowed me to bend, shape, staple, and tape in pieces. I could then lay it flat to trace and cut a 1 piece reinforcement from some thin sheet stock. Layed flat it looked kind of like this

\\_____//

Double // and \\ to show some width.

Bend the sides down and it fits right over the leading edge of the shroud and hugs the sides. I drilled a couple of small holes in each side and secured it with some small machine screws. I used the holes that were already along the top lip from the factory screen, drilled holes in the reinforcement and secured with machine screws. I used these screws to secure a screen. I then shot the entire thing with several coats of black heat paint. I used a dull color to mimic the original finish of the plastic.

From the top you can not tell a thing has been done as everything if far forward. From the under the car you can see a little, mainly the ears that fold down on the side of the snout as well as the couple if screw heads. For the most part if someone bends over to inspect my shrowd under the car and has a comment, well they will get a foot in the a$$ hard enough to wedge their head under there.

From my point of view, yes it is not necessarily stock. I, however, can drive the thing and not worry about it. If I hit something or bump it putting it on the trailer there is little chance of messing it up. Should it bend, I can just bend it back "square".

Just a thought.

Brent

Sure, I will try and get you one tonight. I think I have some shots as I was working on it but they would have to be scanned. That may take a little longer.

Brent

TTA583:

That would be cool.

I would love to get a stock one but I can't afford $500 right now. In the future, should be no problem. Right now, I need to find one that will work until I get one of the "new" ones. I have so many zip ties holding the on the one I have now. it is really pathetic looking.:rolleyes:

tta1401,

I found the pics I took while working on the thing. I will scan them today. I forgot how messed up mine was when I started!!

Ditto on the 5 bills, I think I will skip that one myself as long as I intend on driving the thing.

Brent

Hey Brent,

I would be interested in seeing the pics also!

Thanks!
Rick Elam

Guys,

Sounds like no one really needs the original shroud since they would prefer to modify the piece anyway. I was under the initial impression that folks wanted the original appearance and performance for these $31K cars but that is just no the case. I will not go to production on the part since the market desire is not there. Thanks for all the honest input, saves the grief of having $50K+ in parts sitting in inventory. We do have numerous other TTA accessory pieces to offer such as Key Chains, Valve Stem Caps, Floor Mats, etc, etc, etc

Back