Interior Color Change

Hi,

Do you have the seat tracks already? if No - you will have to order those from Recaro.

If so, Then all you need to due is call Recaro or go there website and find the style (model) seat you have and tell them you need the bracket to fit the GN and I think the correct part number for those brackets to fit the Buick G-Body's is # 81182.

I would also call SUMMIT and ask if that seat bracket (8112) will also fit recaro. (I seem to think it will).

The 8112 brackets Also fit:

Buick: Centry 78-87 (driver & pass), Regal 78-87 (Driver & pass), Chevelle 78-87 (driver & pass), Malibu 78-88 (driver & pass)..

Scot W.

Thank you scot for the info i ordered 2 from summit 81182 part # just like you said fits all g body cars :)

Hi scot, how about an update on the interior? How is everything holding up? Anthing you may have done different? Has it been driven much?

THANKS!

Hi scot, how about an update on the interior? How is everything holding up? Anthing you may have done different? Has it been driven much?

THANKS!
Everything is holding up just fine! Nothing I would have done different at all, and it's been driven over 3,000 miles and also autocrossed, drag raced and Still won first place in a show too... :biggrin:

Trunk will be done this winter as will the floor mats.. Stay tuned for more updates..

SW.

That SEM dye is good stuff, but be aware that they have a mandatory (according to SEM) procedure that requires use of their cleaner, prep, adhesion promoter, ect. Very tough stuff. It's not finished just yet, but the color is on. This was an oxblood (that godawful maroon) interior, and the T type dash was blue. I'm very happy with the results.

Attachments

• dash and column installed 001.jpg
    dash and column installed 001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 158
I work at an upholstery shop and we use SEM stuff once in awhile. Nice stuff. I kinda want to try the stuff that you use in a paint gun. I dyed a few pieces in my old Neon with a charcoal color and used a low-gloss clear. Can't even scratch it with your finger nails.

Scot, I'm guessing you dyed your steering wheel/shift knob as well. Any issues with the dye rubbing off? Did you use the clear coat at all?

I work at an upholstery shop and we use SEM stuff once in awhile. Nice stuff. I kinda want to try the stuff that you use in a paint gun. I dyed a few pieces in my old Neon with a charcoal color and used a low-gloss clear. Can't even scratch it with your finger nails.

Scot, I'm guessing you dyed your steering wheel/shift knob as well. Any issues with the dye rubbing off? Did you use the clear coat at all?
Nope! Still not even a scratch on either the steering wheel or the shift lever. No I never used any clear but wouldn't mind trying it in some spots. The Only place where there is scratches are on the console where the seat belts keep rubbing against the console. I thought of sticking some low gloss clear plastic film in those areas but the clear would be MUCH easier.

Scot W.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone ever updated parts of the interior such as later model seat belts and heater controls (for example) to kinda modernize things?

Nope! Still not even a scratch on either the steering wheel or the shift lever. No I never used any clear but wouldn't mind trying it in some spots. The Only place where there is scratches are on the console where the seat belts keep rubbing against the console. I thought of sticking some low gloss clear plastic film in those areas but the clear would be MUCH easier.

Scot W.
The clear coat is SO nice! You can put as many coats as you want! I put like 5 coats on my stuff and it had a nice low-gloss sheen to it. Very nice stuff. I'm sure the seatbelt area will still rub somewhat, but that's just something you might have to touch up once in awhile. Guess it's the name of the game pal ;)

*EDIT* I totally forgot to tell you that yours by far is my favorite interior! It's very well-done and with good-quality material (Alcantara for one). Alcantara is by far my favorite suede, but it's so damn expensive. We get it for $65-80 per yard...don't remember exactly how much. But your interior is just awesome! It's what I hope to do to my car...when I actually get one again. LoL except I'm gonna be doing a dark gray suede instead of black. And on the dash/door panels where it has the "fake" stitching so it looks like leather...I'm going to paint every single stitch dark gray by hand, then clear over the entire piece. Will be time consuming, but I think the end result will look spectacular.