Interior paint almost solved

Sal Lubrano

OK, I have been fighting this issue for a while now. I am painting my 86 GN's glove box and speaker grill. After help from board members I have narrowed it down. I have posted a chart from ppg. They have two colors which can be either semi or low gloss. Which is leaving me with four decisions.

33665 semi -- 33873 low med dark gray
33824 semi -- 33874 low Dark grey

I have tried the G-body paint and kirbans but they were too light. I am thinking of going with the Dark grey-semi 33824 but still undecided. Anyone have any input on which color it should be?

Attachments

• GM_86_P5.jpg
    GM_86_P5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 283
Can't say for the glove box door but for the speaker grill I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint...Charcoal Grey VS11...I also used this paint to touch up a spot on my steering column and it matched perfect...problem is I don't think they make this stuff anymore...call Duplicolor and find out...if I had an extra can I'd give it to you...all I have is about 3/4 can left...

Sorry you can get it at many more places...look for Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric HVP111...

Go to a local autopaint supply and have them mix the color you need. For a GN it should be color code 82. Duplicolor was not even close to the color of my steering column, but was pretty close to the color of my dash.

It is medium dark grey. You might want to take a piece to the paint supplier, as most paint companies don't spend much time color matching interior colors, and most need tinted to match.

I used DuPont 8247 med dark gray with medium gloss. I did my entire interior. Looks great.

Here's a suggestion. I guess you're going to use a spray gun to paint your parts, seeings you're buying mixed paint. Why don't you buy a quart of SEM vinyl paint in both black and white, and mix your own shade. Just mix a small amount at a time. You'll have lot's of paint left over to touchup for as long as you keep your car.

I used DuPont 8247 as well on some of my trim, but I had to darken it some. I matched it to the trim, but the dash is still darker.

the colors displayed on ordinary PC monitors are notoriously WRONG.

Dont make ANY decisions based on downloaded files from any web site.

Explanation has to do with color profiles, color spaces, and color gamuts , and is beyond the scope of this post. But believe me, what you see on any website or download will be wrong ;)

The grey in the GN's is not just white and black mixed together.

What we're talking about here, are people who are incredibly anal. If I thought anybody had a computerized color meter in their head when they inspect your interior, then my suggestion would not work. Other than that, normal people can eyeball in a match that can't be noticed, by mixing black and white. :rolleyes:

I was just thinking that the difference would be noticable on the glove box door to the dash. I am a painter, so I probably am more anal than most, just because I deal with color match all day.

When I needed to paint mine, I took my glove box off, took it to the paint shop and left it with them to match it and give me a pint.. What's the big deal?

Apparently not at a 150+ flat hour per week rate. A free repaint is money out of my pocket. Insurance companies are very strict with quality when it comes to DRP's (progressive). If the manager sees a possibility of a redo, you are fixing it. Anybody can paint a car in their backyard!:rolleyes:
If you have been color matching for 17 years, then why did you take it to a paint shop to match. You must not do it at a production level. I matched mine perfectly, I am certified in color tinting with 4 different paint companies, have been painting for 11 years, and have done many award winning restos, and it still took me awhile to get it perfect. Maybe I fought myself, but the only thing that mattered was my satifaction, after all it was my car. I am just saying that it takes alot more than people give credit. I guess a lack luster attempt isn't a big deal if you have been doing it for 20+ years. I will tell my boss, "Whats the big deal?" when I mix a bunch of colors together to make a color that is close, but not quite tomorrow.