You can type here any text you want

Iridium plugs, a good match for the Bob Bailey TR6 Ignition System?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
Since this seems to be hijacking the original Bob Bailey TR6 thread, I thought it was worth a discussion for those of us who are running with Bob's TR6 ignition module. To start out with I bought the whole sha- bang off of him, including the coil and spark plug wires.
Well since it is black Friday and Advance Auto has a 20% off coupon.... is this what I want?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_xp-(xtreme-performance)-iridium-enhanced-fine-wire-spark-plug-autolite_15650190-p?searchTerm=iridium plugs
or this one, these are the only two that I see that are a "exact fit"
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-plug-ngk_18090277-p?searchTerm=iridium+plugs

I'm running the champion/factory iron heads by the way.

Chuck

Depends upon what you want from your spark plug.

I run my car hard, and read my plugs very frequently. I look for a plug which shows no detonation specs and a good clean color relative to my tune.

Usually just about any plug will work fine for just "driving around".

At high boost and high power, I would expect a regular off the shelf spec plug to show some issues if you look close enough. That's where a racing plug makes a difference. Perhaps if the iridium plugs were made in a "racing" version with a variety of heat ranges it would be something of interest for me.

Steve,

The 1st link in my thread is the "Xtreme Performance Iridium Enhanced @ Gap .035"
Looks like the heat range are not negotiable, but if we can live with "G13" heat range....
I run my car on the street, hardly ever at the track, but I run it hard enough to need a tranny with many upgrades, the stock tranny with a shift kit lasted about 2 weeks after I put the last built motor in.

Chuck

Heat range needs will vary greatly from one user to another. Depends upon how the engine is setup and tuned.

When I go to the track I'll step the plugs down 1 heat range, then go back up afterwards.

Heat range chart
Heat_Range_Chart.jpg

Picked up a TR6 a month or so ago and have been running Denso Iridium ITf20's. Actually installed them back in 2002-03. When I got back to working on the car, pulled them, gapped them and they have been fine ever since. It pulls with no issues at 25psi+.

Back