TR6 Ignition System now available

TurboBob

Resident mad scientist
Staff member
The new TR6 ignition has been available since early May, I posted about it in the existing threads.

But several people asked me lately "when will it be available?" So I guess I needed to make an announcement separate from the other threads. (so here it is...)

The system mounts in the stock location and can be configured in 2 ways.

Stock style drop-in upgrade, uses a late model wastespark style coilpack that packs a big punch. This is the setup most guys need.

Individual coils, uses 6 LS2 style coils which can be mounted various ways. We are working on some coil mounting hardware, but it is still preliminary. The guys currently running this way have mounted their own coils.

There a bunch of pictures and videos on the long thread, some of which I cross-posted on the TR6 web page. I will be adding more pics and vids soon.

The system offers greatly improved ignition energy, built-in 2-step rev limiter, built in diagnostics, mode to set/check base timing, mode to set/check cam sensor alignment. It mounts to the factory bracket and plugs into the factory harness plug. It is compatible with any ECU that can run the stock module.

You can see more in that long thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/bob-bailey-ignition-module.340701/

the system can also be seen at www.tr6.bailey-eng.com

Questions.......comments.......discuss........

The system runs on a hot-air car. Basically you need to convert the car to use an 86/87 module, and then run this instead.

Bob

I saw the thread but never really kept up on it. What benefits does this actually have over a well functioning stock 87 coil pack? Improved power, idle etc? Thanks for all your hard work on these cars btw, not sure where the cars would be without your upgrades!

The system has a much more powerful spark, so there may be some top end power improvement since the stock system falls off at higher RPM. However its impossible to make HP claims for ignition systems.

For anyone running alky, a spark based rev limiter is important to protect the engine. If you hit the ECM rev limiter (which cuts off the injectors) then your head gaskets can make a quick exit (or worse).

Bob

Hello Bob, would their be an advantage to go to the individual setup compared to the wastespark?
Thanks

I don't think so, the coilpack has as much firepower as the individual ones. With good plug wires, the length of the wires doesn't really matter.

I like the look of valve-cover mounted coils, but I chalk that up to "LS envy".

From a performance standpoint I think they are pretty much the same.

Bob

This system is the saving grace to these cars, honestly

Agreed. I've gone through a number of coil packs and modules in my day. My current one is working good but for how long? And a built in two-step and rev limiter? This is a no brainer for people like me that actually travel in the car AND race. You mean I won't need to always travel with a backup module and coil pack anymore? Thanks Bob!

upgraded my coil pack 2 years ago. When it goes out i will be buying this for my HOTAIR

regardless of the electronic issues, how would you mount them....?

Bob

That wouldn't be a hard job to a local fab guy.... Just curious if they would be a benefit or problem to the community... Just thinking out of the box.

Anybody have a working link for the long thread where he discusses the TR6? I've tried numerous links (even used the search function and I keep coming up with naught)!

Thanks!!

The new TR6 ignition has been available since early May, I posted about it in the existing threads.

But several people asked me lately "when will it be available?" So I guess I needed to make an announcement separate from the other threads. (so here it is...)

The system mounts in the stock location and can be configured in 2 ways.

Stock style drop-in upgrade, uses a late model wastespark style coilpack that packs a big punch. This is the setup most guys need.

Individual coils, uses 6 LS2 style coils which can be mounted various ways. We are working on some coil mounting hardware, but it is still preliminary. The guys currently running this way have mounted their own coils.

There a bunch of pictures and videos on the long thread, some of which I cross-posted on the TR6 web page. I will be adding more pics and vids soon.

The system offers greatly improved ignition energy, built-in 2-step rev limiter, built in diagnostics, mode to set/check base timing, mode to set/check cam sensor alignment. It mounts to the factory bracket and plugs into the factory harness plug. It is compatible with any ECU that can run the stock module.

You can see more in that long thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/bob-bailey-ignition-module.340701/

the system can also be seen at www.tr6.bailey-eng.com

Questions.......comments.......discuss........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 405
I'm doing the ls style coil on my setup. Any preference on what coils to get?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ls1, square truck coil, or ls2. Depends on how you want to mount them.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk