You can type here any text you want

Is a 10 micron fuel filter more restrictive than a 10 micron oil filter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

forcefed86

I figure a hole is a hole right? If the hole is "X" size it should flow the same as another "X" sized hole?

Reason I ask Is I've been using a 10 micron fuel filter as an inline turbo oil filter. I am still seeing well within spec oil pressures at the turbo. (I have a press gauge pre-turbo)

Recently my PT-68 started blowing oil out the aft seal. I think this was due to excessive head pressure. I rebuilt the turbo and installed the inline filter as stated.

Recently I was told that the fuel filters are alot more restrictive than the oil filters. I'm sure I can get an oil filter that will spin on my setup. But I like where my pressures are now. I'm right around 21ish idle and 60 at rpm.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Please don't just reply that I should change it without giving a reason.

Thanks all!

170301_lg.jpg

My thoughts on that would be the fuel filter is not designed to take the same pressure that a oil filter would be. You see many oil filters that are designed for spikes of pressure thats up to 200psi. Unless the filter is for a new car with direct injection I would think they probably are not designed to withstand that kind of pressure. I don't think the media is different. How about just using an oil filter instead? Are the threads a different size?

My thoughts on that would be the fuel filter is not designed to take the same pressure that a oil filter would be. You see many oil filters that are designed for spikes of pressure thats up to 200psi. Unless the filter is for a new car with direct injection I would think they probably are not designed to withstand that kind of pressure. I don't think the media is different. How about just using an oil filter instead? Are the threads a different size?

Thanks for the input! That is one of my fears as well. There may be an oil filter that would work. But the housing uses a large (1” ?) male thread. I tried to match it up to 10-15 oil filters when I bought it with no luck.

The filter is only suggested to be run to 50psi max. That being said I’ve personally run then to 70+ for over a year on my fuel system and never seen any type of fatigue or signs of distress. I and many others are using these on our drag cars at the local strip. I’ve split the filter and compared it side by side with my oil filters and they look identical. (doesn’t necessarily mean they are I know). It would be nice if there was a spin on replacement meant for oil. I’ll keep an eye out.

can a fuel filter take the heat of hot oil? there are dry sump prefilters made by earls that are even smaller than fuel filters.

I've seen different sized posts so you can use the Ford size, GM size and Metric size filters. I don't know if you unscrew the post or it threads over the other post. I've toyed with the idea of remote oil filter for the turbo with a small metric oil filter from Subaru or Nissan. They are small and I know the Subaru runs pretty high oil pressure so thats not a concern. I just don't see a good spot to put it without running a long line to the front of the passenger wheel well. The typical remote mounts are pretty cheap. A few fittings would be needed to run some AN4 line.

When I was first playing with the methanol fuel, I tried using 10 micron fuel filters. They plugged very quickly. I switched to 40 micron have not had any problems.
10 micron paper fuel filters are recommended for gasoline. 40 micron stainless mesh fuel filters are recommended for alcohol.
I use a small 40 micron stainless mesh filter in the oil line feeding the turbo.

Surely the difference in the viscosity between oil and fuel would play a part...

When I was first playing with the methanol fuel, I tried using 10 micron fuel filters. They plugged very quickly. I switched to 40 micron have not had any problems.
10 micron paper fuel filters are recommended for gasoline. 40 micron stainless mesh fuel filters are recommended for alcohol.
I use a small 40 micron stainless mesh filter in the oil line feeding the turbo.

Thats odd I contacted magnafuel and they said with fuel injection, 10 micron is the minimal suggested filtration? I have used the above filter for over a year now without issue. Although my pump is overkill for my setup. Don, Were you using a filter with alot of media? Or the small inline screen disc types?

I know these filters say they are alcohol compatible. Also they are available in a glass media that is suppose to be great for alcohol fuels. (grainger carries these) I've split one of the standard paper filters after a year of use and it looked great. THe glue around the edges was a little on the brittle side. But as long as you change it every year I don't see it being a problem?

The local farm community has been using these filters with e85 for a long time. A local farmer is the one that turned me onto them in the first place.

On a side note grainger also sells "hydraulic" and lube filters for this kit. Thread/pitch is 1" 12NF. What I don't understand is all of graingers "lube" filters seem to have low pressure bypass's? Highest pressure I saw was 50psi. The hydraulic filters mention an anti-drainback valve, but nothing about a bypass. I've sent an email. I think the hyd filters may be the way to go.

thanks all!

The 10 micron filters I tried WERE the small disc type. They would plug within hours. Alcohol fuels can create a lot of garbage in the fueling system. If you go to most high performance fuel injection sites you will notice that the lowest micron they carry for an alcohol application is 40 microns. That would be in stainless mesh. As a pump prefilter, you usually see 100 micron suggested because you don't want any restriction to the inlet of a mechanical pump, or any pump for that matter.
I suppose if the filter is large enough you could get away with a 10, but I wouldn't use paper with methanol fuel. Ethanol, I'm not sure. I would keep an eye on it. The water content that alcohol fuels can sometimes develop degrades the paper. I use normal spin on filters in my oiling system and the fuel and water that gets into the oil swells the paper elements in the filters. The water in the blowby just happens to be a large portion of the by-products of combustion of methanol.
Also, with alcohol fuels, remove the thimble filters in the entrances of the electronic injectors. Like I said, alcohol fuels can make some garbage in the fueling system, and the thimble filters plug up very quickly. For more info, go to Kinsler Fuel Injection.

The 10 micron filters I tried WERE the small disc type. They would plug within hours. Alcohol fuels can create a lot of garbage in the fueling system. If you go to most high performance fuel injection sites you will notice that the lowest micron they carry for an alcohol application is 40 microns. That would be in stainless mesh. As a pump prefilter, you usually see 100 micron suggested because you don't want any restriction to the inlet of a mechanical pump, or any pump for that matter.
I suppose if the filter is large enough you could get away with a 10, but I wouldn't use paper with methanol fuel. Ethanol, I'm not sure. I would keep an eye on it. The water content that alcohol fuels can sometimes develop degrades the paper. I use normal spin on filters in my oiling system and the fuel and water that gets into the oil swells the paper elements in the filters. The water in the blowby just happens to be a large portion of the by-products of combustion of methanol.
Also, with alcohol fuels, remove the thimble filters in the entrances of the electronic injectors. Like I said, alcohol fuels can make some garbage in the fueling system, and the thimble filters plug up very quickly. For more info, go to Kinsler Fuel Injection.

Thanks for the tips!

Ethanol is a different animal from what i've seen so far. I know Julian Nesbitt personally and he did a few e85 tests several years ago. (documented on this forum). He has had the same buick OEM paper fuel filter sitting in e85 for many years now(2007). Although you do bring up a great point with the water. I’m sure it’s not getting much exposure to moisture in a sealed glass jar. I’ll grab some snap shots of my filter when I cut it again this winter. I do recall it looking a bit “puffy” compared to the oil filters I split. Probably some of that swelling your talking about. Although I noticed no decrease in fuel pressure or leaning of my AFR’s. I know they make some spin-on filters with a drain able water separator as well. Something like that might work well with e85. I also use the OE paper filter in my daily driven eclipse. I've split the filter each year. Only been 2 years or so but I've yet to find any issues with it?

Maybe you should look at a metal mesh type spin-on filter for the oil feed line. As far as the fuel line, I'ld look into what the OEMs are using for the "flex fuel" cars since they are designed to filter E85.

Is everyone is missing the point? I would think that the oil filter would have way more area due to it's larger size! Assuming that the distance between 10 micron holes is the same for oil and fuel filter media, there would be less resistance to flow with a larger oil filter since there would be more holes.
Conrad

Is everyone is missing the point? I would think that the oil filter would have way more area due to it's larger size! Assuming that the distance between 10 micron holes is the same for oil and fuel filter media, there would be less resistance to flow with a larger oil filter since there would be more holes.
Conrad
I think that would depend on how large of an oil filter you want to run to just filter the oil feeding the turbo. The filter I use is maybe 1 1/4" in diameter and 2" long. -4 plumbing connections, both ends.

Something I should add. I've noticed that the amount of paper element swelling is different between brands of filters, due to differences in the makeup of the different paper elements that are out there. Water can also affect the glues that are used in filters.

Back