You can type here any text you want

Is it time for a rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
So the plan.was to do cam heads lifters timing chain and lifters.. goal is high 10s on stock short block. Well got it all apart and saw aluminum shavings in the pan. Not a whole lot but enough. Pickup screen was clean. What doyou guys think? Also pics of cam. Oil pump gears had normal wear and no cjunks missing..
20140201_115405.jpg
20140201_115405.jpg
20140201_115513.jpg

Attachments

• 20140201_115525.jpg
    20140201_115525.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 156
What does the inside of the front cover look like?

I would pull it and at least put new bearings in it. Pull the caps and look at the bearings and crank...

Bryan

Not worth the risk. Tank the block, get it all inspected and miced out. Start fresh. You will be happier with end result IMO.

Thx for replies. The motor.has 100k on it and was never touched. I think for the most part this motor.was cared for. Cyls look great its just these chunks im.worried about. No its 100% stock motor.

Have you figured out what the chunks are? If they're non ferrous, I'm guessing timing chain teeths.

I'd at least check a couple engine bearings. Those aren't that bad to replace if the motor is out of the car anyway.

Ill double check the chunks. I.will.take pics.of oil.pump. and timing chain. I will also check bearings. Thx for replies.

Heres pics of oil pump gears.. look good/normal. Next post will show pump housing. No missing teeth on timing chains gears either. This week I will pull bearings. Should I start w main or connecting rod?

Attachments

• 20140202_142226.jpg
    20140202_142226.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • 20140202_142213.jpg
    20140202_142213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • 20140202_142156.jpg
    20140202_142156.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
It looks like you had a chunk go through your pump. Look at the last pic right at the oil injection port for the idler gear. The pic looks like you have a hellova groove on the filter adapter.

On your first pic, is that bits of metal next to the gear?

I cant remember its been a war zone in garage tearing it down. Ill take a better look tom. So I guess ill rip her down and get it rebuilt. Is it possible to get standard bore pistons.still? Also.thinking just go.forged but will.wait till I take crank and pistons.out...

I can make you some forged pistons in whatever bore size you want from 2.500" to 5.500".

I'm worried about this for when I do my timing gears and chain, oil pan gasket, maye rear main seal too... I hope I don't find anything in my pan. But if I do at least I can maybe rebuild it myself.

Great earl. Will keep that in mind.. wahoo as much as I hate it its good. Coulda have been a lot worse. I say expect the worse and be ready for it financially. This way if it looks.clean you good to.go..

Great earl. Will keep that in mind.. wahoo as much as I hate it its good. Coulda have been a lot worse. I say expect the worse and be ready for it financially. This way if it looks.clean you good to.go..

I always try to look at stuff in a worst case scenerio too. That way anything that happens to go right is gravy. :) With what I'm seeing in your pan, there's a good chance you can get away with it. Keep in mind if your pan has never been off it took 1/4 of a century to collect all that crap. Since Buick put that stupid boss on the oil drain it's impossible for anything that can be suspended to drain out. And since that stuff is laying in the bottom, that means the pickup didn't get hold of it.

I'm worried about this for when I do my timing gears and chain, oil pan gasket, maye rear main seal too... I hope I don't find anything in my pan. But if I do at least I can maybe rebuild it myself.

If you're still running the stock timing chain, you will find surprises in your pan. (and change that timing set out yesterday if not sooner)

I always try to look at stuff in a worst case scenerio too. That way anything that happens to go right is gravy. :) With what I'm seeing in your pan, there's a good chance you can get away with it. Keep in mind if your pan has never been off it took 1/4 of a century to collect all that crap. Since Buick put that stupid boss on the oil drain it's impossible for anything that can be suspended to drain out. And since that stuff is laying in the bottom, that means the pickup didn't get hold of it.

If you're still running the stock timing chain, you will find surprises in your pan. (and change that timing set out yesterday if not sooner)

I plan to very soon. Right now the car is just sitting, snow and salt on the ground :/ but just closed on our new home so ill have a garage to work on it in soon! Then I will be doing a full spring cleaning!

Heres an update:
Finally tore her down and I was happy I did. Some connecting rod bearings had wear on them. But majority of chunks came from #2 main cap. Looks like crank was walking a bit..
20140206_181428.jpg
20140206_181418.jpg

Back